ooooooh an all-in-one beer making machine

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
What if there were a machine—a beautiful shiny machine—and all it did, with almost no work from you, was make you beer? Such was the dream that drove PopSci staff photographer John Carnett to spend weeks building what he simply refers to as the Device: a stainless-steel two-cart brewing system that starts by boiling extract—concentrated wort, or pre-fermented beer—and ends with a chilled pint.

In most home-brewing setups, each step in the process requires moving the beer to a new container by hand, which increases the chance of contamination and requires you to lift stuff. Carnett's machine keeps everything in the carts' closed system and requires only that he swap a few CO2-pressurized hoses to move the liquid along. It also employs a complex temperature-control system to regulate the fermentation (often done in a corner of a basement) to within a degree or two. A couple weeks later, the same system chills the beer on its way from keg to tap, so the Device is always ready with a cold pour and consumes no power when it's not serving or fermenting.
The next step: adding a third cart to make wort from raw grain instead of extract. But, says Carnett, there's a lot of "testing" of this design to be done first.

Video of the process: [yt]H6rRouyyWkI[/yt]

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/832ce78a72494110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Yum!!

krispykreme

Jun 23, 2005
Wow, just wow!

I'm a homebrewer. That is fucking amazing. Fixes everything thats wrong with homebrewing. Yes its extract only, but extract only still makes awesome beer. I want me one of them!:clap:

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
hmmmm, i could make that, but its easyer to just get my growlers filled, at my local brew house. i need another hobby like i need a hole in my head

Apr 22, 2005
Bucks Co., PA
Simby, I am seriously considering Polygamy.

We you marry me?

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
Ok ok, you got me.

I'm some where between that monstrosity and this. But more on the larger end of the spectrum ;)

[nsfw]
[/nsfw]
That's a mess on so many levels. You really know how to advertise yourself.

Apr 22, 2005
Bucks Co., PA
That's a mess on so many levels. You really know how to advertise yourself.
Hey, I have to leave something open for the imagination. Besides I sell kitchens not body parts.

Anyone wanna buy some used fingers? Buy 2, get a half a one free.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
hmmmm, i could make that, but its easyer to just get my growlers filled, at my local brew house. i need another hobby like i need a hole in my head
I'm right there with you. It's nice to have fresh beer delivered from a local brew pub. The problem I have with the growlers is that I just don't drink that much that quickly. I need to work on it. :icon_mrgr:action-sm

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
im starting to collect growlers, i find that if you dont drink the beer the next day its flat buy the following, so i get them on friday right after work then drink them that night, and saturday, i find if i drink a whole one, i just cant finish the second one....

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
What's a growler?
Sounds like it is associated with beer, and thus I need to know..

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
In my limited experience, a growler is a glass jug full of beer. The ones I've gotten have been brown & full of beer from a brew pub.