oops... if in doubt throw it out...

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
so..... what have you cooked lately that you really should have tossed.... i have a bad habit of not throwing stuff away when i should. this week it was some breakfast sausage... for some reason sausage always gets me. i have a "cold draw" in my fridge that borderline freezes things and i forget that its not really frozen. i cooked them up partially frozen this morning but as soon as i took my first bite i knew they were bad because they had a really nasty ammonia smell. i cant beleive that i didn't spend the rest of the day puking my guts out, and to add to the nasty i did toss everything but didn't take the trash out right away... when the other ones defrosted my trash can got quite ripe... so all night ive been trying to clean the kitchen to get the nasty rotting meat smell out... blech.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I'm the exact opposite, I'm insane about food and dates.
I even make up my own dates on things that have none...

Like deli meat. Say I get a 1/2 of Turkey on a Monday, I won't eat it Thursday. Which means a lot of trips to the grocery store.

My brother though doesn't give a shit... And gets sick often enough. Like he'll come home drunk, use Ranch Dressing on a pizza, leave it out all night, and then just put it back in the fridge the next day.

We have separate fridge space to say the least.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
Guilty

But I realize when I go to eat the shit

I Hate wasting good food

Have some Fajita meat that I'm still using from last week
A bit more left for tomorrow
But I might odrer a hoagie on the way to work

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I've definitely taken chances with food. I'm good with the First In, First Out policy at home (I also hate to waste food, that's good liquor money), but occasionally when backpacking, hiking, or camping I'll take something that really should be refrigerated and eat it after a day or two on the trail. You can get away with that when it comes to stuff like processed meats and cheeses. I won't take that chance when I'm going on a long trip that would be ruined if I were in camp shitting for a day or two, but overall I've never had a problem.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i try not to do it but what happens is i will buy some stuff on sale, then not eat at home for a few days. i usually go to the market a few times a week to avoid it, but as in the case of the sausages they were "partially" frozen, i also have a funny feeling that they were already on the road to ruin when i bought them, its not not the first time ive bought this particular product and had it go bad super fast, i get them at the local farmers market and i think they are using last weeks meat to make this weeks sausages. im not going to buy them anymore. i stopped buying "fresh" produce there a long time ago because it was going bad with in a day or two, part of that problem was my x wife NEVER cleaning the fridge and not having it cold enough... because she didnt want her ice cream too hard... i cleaned the fridge and turned it down and solved most of that problem.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I hate it when I'm cooking something that smells like the water in the bottom of the squeegee bucket at a gas station on a hot day, and I know I'll be getting sick soon, but I'm just so hungry.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
When i store things in the fridge i put a piece of scotch tape on the container and write the date on it...That way I know how old it is...If it's in a bag or wrapped I write it on the plastic or foil...It keeps you on your game about not having that 4 week old mystery container of what not in the back...It seems dorky by my wife is awful about throwing stuff out. She will forget about some nasty thing and it will sit there for weeks if i don't chuck it..

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I had some ground beef defrosted for several days. It went from pink to grey. Should I have thrown it out?

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
I had some ground beef defrosted for several days. It went from pink to grey. Should I have thrown it out?
The smell should have given it away. If i wait until the sell by date to freeze beef, then it grays pretty quick when it's thawed. It smells fine and cooks fine though. I haven't gotten sick off any yet.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
No, that's the myoglobin undergoing some changes. When it smells sharp and tastes tangy, slow down on the eating.

[YT]-eGF2pbmVyA[/YT]

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I often don't reheat meat after I've cooked it. I've been told by a few people that this is a bad idea, but I've done it a long time and never gotten sick. I don't see what could be wrong with it if it was cooked fresh.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
Apr 14, 2004
Just outside NYC
specifically, it's the meat oxidizing. Same premise as an apple turning brown after a few minutes when you bite or cut into it. Go by smell.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
My dipshit kid left a half eaten plate of Lasagne and other food under her bed that sat for weeks. It all started when I noticed a couple of these little black flies buzzing around the house. Hyper little fuckers, and bold. They would land on your food and moved liked lightening. I immediately went on the hunt for whatever was causing the little fucks to breed. Food is not allowed any place in the house but the kitchen, dining room or the family room. After spending 10 minutes searching I open my daughters bedroom door and there were 100,000,000 tiny black flies buzzing around and the stench of garbage can juice. The flies seemed to be enjoying a half a plate of lasagna the most because that's were 100,000,000 tiny maggots going to town on it. They also loved the half pound of crab legs that she left in her trash can. I bought two cans of that bug spray that uses flower oil and went to war.

She left for California a couple weeks ago to get ready to return to college. Oh, and I do plan on killing her when she comes home for winter break.

Obviously I had a few choice words with my daughter about my rules on food. Fucking kids!

AmberLee

High Five Champion
Jun 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
We accidentally just dropped a chicken on the patio on the way to the grill. I'm a germ freak but I scrubbed it and my husband shoved another beer in its butt and in about a half hour we will be enjoying it.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
All I got out of that sentence was , beer, shoved and butt. A girl on wackbag is still a foreign concept to me due to the sociopaths that frequent this forum, including myself.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
My dipshit kid left a half eaten plate of Lasagne and other food under her bed that sat for weeks. It all started when I noticed a couple of these little black flies buzzing around the house. Hyper little fuckers, and bold. They would land on your food and moved liked lightening. I immediately went on the hunt for whatever was causing the little fucks to breed. Food is not allowed any place in the house but the kitchen, dining room or the family room. After spending 10 minutes searching I open my daughters bedroom door and there were 100,000,000 tiny black flies buzzing around and the stench of garbage can juice. The flies seemed to be enjoying a half a plate of lasagna the most because that's were 100,000,000 tiny maggots going to town on it. They also loved the half pound of crab legs that she left in her trash can. I bought two cans of that bug spray that uses flower oil and went to war.

She left for California a couple weeks ago to get ready to return to college. Oh, and I do plan on killing her when she comes home for winter break.

Obviously I had a few choice words with my daughter about my rules on food. Fucking kids!
I was reading all this thinking your daughter was a little kid. A college student forgot food... eh actually never mind I believe it. We use to leave pizza boxes with pizza still in them sitting around the house pretty much until we were forced to clean up after a party, so sometimes at least a week.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
All I got out of that sentence was , beer, shoved and butt. A girl on wackbag is still a foreign concept to me due to the sociopaths that frequent this forum, including myself.
I'm pretty sure she said that she is a freak and after another beer she will take it in the butt and enjoy it. Something about chicken too.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I'm pretty sure she said that she is a freak and after another beer she will take it in the butt and enjoy it. Something about chicken too.
No you idiot. She takes the beer in the butt while fucking a chicken with a strap-on.