OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Operation Fast and Furious just keeps getting better!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Josh_R, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...r-background-checks-werent-conducted-on-fast/

Turns out, not only were they allowing people to buy weapons and sell them to Mexican cartels, they were letting felons buy shitloads of them. The only way that this could have happened is if the guns store was making fraudulent background checks, or if the FBI purposefully let them go through. Either way, it is highly illegal.
    EXCLUSIVE: In the latest chapter of the gunrunning scandal known as Operation Fast and Furious, federal officials won't say how two suspects obtained more than 360 weapons despite criminal records that should have prevented them from buying even one gun.

Under current federal law, people with felony convictions are not permitted to buy weapons, and those with felony arrests are typically flagged while the FBI conducts a thorough background check.

However, according to court records reviewed by Fox News, two of the 20 defendants indicted in the Fast and Furious investigation have felony convictions and criminal backgrounds that experts say, at the very least, should have delayed them buying a single firearm. Instead, the duo bought dozens of guns on multiple occasions while federal officials watched on closed-circuit cameras.

Congressional and law-enforcement sources say the situation suggests the FBI, which operates the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, knowingly allowed the purchases to go forward after consulting with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which initiated Operation Fast and Furious.

Under the failed anti-gun trafficking program, straw buyers -- those who legally purchase guns and illegally sell them to a third party -- were allowed to buy guns, many of which were sold to Mexican drug cartel members and subsequently lost. Related to the case, the U.S. government in May charged Manuel Osorio-Arellanes with killing Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry last year using a gun purchased through the program.

Court documents show the breakdown involves suspects Jacob Wayne Chambers, 21, and Sean Christopher Stewart, 28, both of Phoenix. Police arrested Chambers for felony burglary and trafficking stolen property in 2008, a year before he began buying more than 70 guns that ended up in the hands of the Sinaloa cartel. Stewart pled guilty to resisting arrest and criminal damage in 2001 and was arrested on drug charges in 2010. He was also charged with violating an order of protection and a local municipal court issued a warrant for his arrest. Stewart purchased 290 weapons.

"You cannot sanction the violation of federal law by enabling or co-enabling prohibited persons, which includes felony convictions, from purchasing firearms," said Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., a former federal prosecutor and a member of the House Government Oversight and Reform Committee, which is investigating the botched ATF operation. Gowdy said he would discuss the apparent violation with committee chairman, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif.

When asked about the breakdown, Stephen Fischer, a spokesman for the NICS System, said the FBI had no comment. However, an ATF agent who worked on the Fast and Furious investigation, told Fox News that NICS officials called the ATF in Phoenix whenever their suspects tried to buy a gun. That conversation typically led to a green light for the buyers, when it should have stopped them.

The apparent corruption of the system concerns Gowdy. "It is unconscionable and goes beyond just being a terribly ill-conceived investigation to bordering, if not crossing, into criminal activity," he said.

The investigation into why these men were able to purchase weapons and this sting operation gone wrong continues on Tuesday. The House Oversight Committee will hold a third hearing, focusing on what was happening on the other side of the border in Mexico.

The former and current ATF attachés to Mexico will testify that their agency never informed them of this operation.

Issa and his colleagues will also have their first opportunity to question ATF supervisors who have defended Operation Fast and Furious and the Justice Department's decisions to committee investigators.

2. NuttyJim

NuttyJim Registered User

Wait, you mean to tell me that police departments and federal law enforcement agencies had an operation that went to shit and ended up in tons of bad press and denial!!! No way, never happens.

Mommadeez4u likes this.
  3. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

Holder at the least should be forced to resign and possibly criminally charged

The ATF needs to be disolved and the FBI or US Marshalls needs to take over

4. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

Haha, it must blow Kirk's mind that the globalists fuck up their own plans for world domination so often.

I hope he doesn't resign. These things have a habit of disappearing once the lead man resigns. I would prefer that Congress get real deep into this so it stays in the news. That way they will have to have some sort of prosecution because it will be too big to sweep under the rug.

5. NuttyJim

NuttyJim Registered User

Would take an act of congress for that to happen. You would have to change each agencies empowering statute. You still need separate agencies to handle different crimes or else the retards would talk about global police forces and world domination and the rest of the bullshit you find on prison planet and info wars.

6. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...port-arming-cartel-for-war-through-operation/
    More news.
    The failed federal anti-gunrunning program known as Operation Fast and Furious got so out of control in November 2009, it appeared the U.S. government was single-handedly "arming for war" the Sinaloa Cartel, documents show, even as ATF officials here kept lying to fellow agents in Mexico about the volume of guns it helped send south of the border.
    Those shocking allegations are revealed in the latest congressional report investigating the operation.
    At one point, agents say guns sold under the watch of the program took just 24 hours to travel from a gun store in Phoenix to a crime scene in Mexico. ATF agents there pleaded for help but were told nothing about Fast and Furious, which was intended to let guns "walk" in order to track them to higher-profile traffickers.
    RELATED STORIES
    Feds Silent on How Convicted Felons Bought Guns in 'Operation Fast and Furious'
    Meanwhile, the report claims the agents' superiors in Washington met every Tuesday, to review the latest sales figures and the number of guns recovered in Mexico.
    "How long are you going to let this go on?" Steve Martin, an assistant director of intelligence operations asked the ATF top brass at meeting Jan. 5, 2010. None of the men responded and several quickly left the room, according to a transcript of the meeting.
    By Feb. 27, 2010, Lanny Breuer, the head of the Criminal Division of the Justice Department in Washington, D.C., was allegedly told that the ATF had successfully helped sell 1,026 weapons worth more than $650,000 to members of the Sinaloa cartel. The briefing included all top ATF officials, including the agents in charge in Los Angeles and Houston, as well as a half dozen top Justice Department attorneys.
    "So there's no doubt after this briefing that guns in this case were being linked to the Sinaloa Cartel?" a congressional investigator asked Martin during a July 2011 interview.
    "I'd say yes." Martin replied.
    "Very apparent to everyone in the room?” the investigator asked.
    "That's correct," Martin said.
    Meanwhile, ATF agents in Mexico were seeing a flood of weapons coming south. When asked, ATF brass told the resident ATF attache in Mexico things were "under control."
    "They were afraid I was going to brief the ambassador on it or brief the government of Mexico," said Darren Gil, former ATF attache in Mexico.
    For months, officials assured Gil that Fast and Furious was going to be "shut down," but it wasn't.
    "We're getting hurt down here," Gil told ATF International Affairs Chief Daniel Kumor.
    Kumor reportedly raised Gil's concerns and was told the case "was going great," and nothing happened until the death of Agent Brian Terry in December 2010.
    Ironically, a year before, in December 2009, Southwest Border Czar Ray Rowley threatened to expose Operation Fast and Furious because of "the large number of guns that had already been trafficked" but ATF officials talked him out of it.
    When the case was finally revealed in the press, Gil said, "never in my wildest dreams ever would I have thought of (gun walking) as an (investigative) technique. Never. Ever. It was just inconceivable to me."
    "You don't lose guns. You don't walk guns. You don't let guns out of your sight."
    The precise number of casualties in Mexico isn't known, but ATF officials confirm the murder of Mario Gonzales Rodriguez, brother of the Chihuahua attorney general, with a Fast and Furious gun.
    According to the report, the U.S. knew for eight months of the link between the ATF operation and his death, but refused to tell any Mexican officials. Finally the acting ATF attache told the Mexican Attorney General Maricela Morales. Her reply, "Hijole," which translates into "Oh my."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...rtel-for-war-through-operation/#ixzz1TBrW3kdE

7. Hoffman

Hoffman Guess who's back? Hoffman's back

Wasn't it DEA that ran the operation?

8. JoeFromS.Jersey

JoeFromS.Jersey Registered User

Sadly, I can't say I'm surprised....but it blows my mind that an administration was so willing to trip over their own dick just to try to make a political point on an issue that they are against (2nd Amend). It's just fucking disgusting that they let themselves be so ideologically driven as to completely ignore reality/ramifications.

9. Hoffman

I just can't believe this had anything to do with the Administration going after the 2nd Amendment. Sure, looking back it was horribly planned and ill-executed; but so could have been the Op that killed bin Laden. If somehow this Operation HAD nabbed all these Cartel guys we'd be (well, for the most part) sitting back and saying holy shit what an amazing job they did. Like I said in another thread; I think DEA/ATF (whoever ran the Op) took a HUGE risk in the hopes they were going to hit a home run with this; instead, it bit them in the ass. Same exact thing could have (and almost did) happened with the op to take bin Laden.

10. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

It's treason and hanging is the solution.

11. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

It's even worse than that; it had nothing to do with nabbing the cartels. It was about busting straw buyers, and if they could later prove that those straw buyer guns had ended up in a crime in Mexico, then all the better for sentencing (and 2nd amendment legislation). I watched the testimony of the agents who worked these cases and they said time after time they were told DO NOT FOLLOW THE GUNS after they are sold, follow the sellers. How the fuck could they have caught the cartel guys if they were not tracking the guns the whole time? I don't think, however, this has anything to do with the administration, per se. It was started under Bush. I think it is more about career ATF and FBI agents justifying their jobs by "proving" how easy it is for any old guy to legally buy guns and get them into the hands of criminals.

12. Hoffman

Maybe, I just don't know. The 2nd Amendment to me has always been the Conservative Roe v. Wade IMO. There are just too many supporters on the supporting side for any politician to go after it, it would be political suicide. Like I said though, that's just me.

13. Kirk Strong

Kirk Strong Banned

The ATF agent that got the ball rolling wasn't a globalist and they fired him for destroying their 2nd amendment frame up plans.

14. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

This. The NFA branch of the ATF needs to go back to Treasury, and the FBI needs to take over licensing and enforcement for dealers. Other than major weapons interstate/international weapons trafficking, the fed needs to get the hell out of firearms laws already.

15. Kirk Strong

Kirk Strong Banned

Your ability to ignore reality is astonishing. Does it scare you to think the government would get Americans killed just to cause fear and use that fear to take rights away?

16. Hoffman

You are simply amazing.

I'm sorry, who's ignoring reality?

17. Hoffman

Please show me just how your 2nd Amendments are being taken away from you and by all means I'll hop on your bandwagon. There is a HUGE difference between people who are against gun ownership rights; and those people ACTUALLY taking away your rights.

18. Kirk Strong

Kirk Strong Banned

You are, you think Holder and the higher ups at the ATF are just bumbling retards that thought nothing bad would happen if they let drug cartels get away with thousands of guns. They knew exactly what they were doing. Mexico captured a top los zetas leader and he said they buy guns directly from the us government. Chicago had a 20+ year gun ban. Chicago is one of the most corrupt places in the US and you think a Chicago ran administration wouldn't conspire to end the 2nd by using fear.

19. Hoffman

...and the Chicago gun ban was OVERTURNED by the Supreme Court when challenged. Again, please come to me with a story that the President is introducing legislation to restrict or end yours and my rights as a citizen to carry and own firearms which the Senate AND House is going to pass. That simply isn't happening.

20. Kirk Strong

Kirk Strong Banned

Chicago, D.C. complete gun bans for 20+ years, in NYC you have to be rich and famous to get a gun. In California you have to be the victim of a crime before you can carry a gun and even then you may be turned down. As a result of this 2nd frame up, gun sellers on the border have to notify the ATF if anyone buys 2 riles or more and the ATF investigates you. During Katrina the authorities went door to door and took peoples guns. They infringe on 2nd amendment rights all over the place. Just look at the propaganda the brady campaign youtube channel throws out.

21. Kirk Strong

Kirk Strong Banned

After 20+ years.

22. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

I'll say that I don't think this was started with any intent to take away anyone's rights. What I can imagine happening is that this was started for one reason, and a new administration took over and said "well, if we can prove that it is easy to buy guns and sell them to criminals, then we have to fix that". I 100% agree that it is impossible in America to take away the 2nd amendment, but I would also bet that if you asked the average idiot whether "assault weapons" and "high capacity magazines" should be banned, you could get a majority to agree. We all know that liberals hate the "gun show loophole", this is basically a continuation of that line of thinking.

23. Kirk Strong

Kirk Strong Banned

I guess Chicago, DC, and NYC aren't a part of the US.

24. Hoffman

Agree 100% with this post; and it highlights 100% what Kirk CANNOT comprehend. Are there politicians and activists out there that would seize on this to TRY and introduce the type of legislation and restrictions that Kirk speaks of? Abso-fucking-lutely. Is that ACTUALLY happening? No.

25. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

They are also not controlled by the Federal government, as this operation was. So, it is impossible for the Federal government to take away the 2nd amendment or even greatly reduce it.