Opie & Anthony are off 97.1 in Detroit & 93.7 Pittsburgh; Chicago next?

cuntish

New Wackbag
Apr 24, 2006
It wouldn't let me post a new thread and didn't know where to put this info but O & A are off 97.1 in Detroit. They just came on the air and said they are now a sports station and announced that the horrible duo from middays is now the morning show. WTF.

SoxandPats84

Jan 31, 2005
They've lost Pittsburgh too. They're Christmas now, with a new format coming on Friday.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
WKRK-FM Live 97.1 FREE FM Hot Talk Detroit, MI / 10th Market Live 6A-9A CBS Radio

is now

Detroit Sports Power House
The Power Hitters Play Here

WKRK is the flagship station for the Detroit Lions, Detroit Red Wings, and Detroit Tigers. It also carries programming from the Chicago-based Sporting News Radio Network.
It is now simulcasting with 1270 AM

New Line-up:
Deminski & Doyle (6a-10a)

The Big Show (10a - 2p) w/ Scott Anderson & Doug Karsch

The Sports Inferno (2p - 6p) w/ Mike Valenti & Terry Foster

The Book on Sports (6p - 10p) w/ Pat Caputo

Dennis Fithian (10p - 2a)

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
93.7 The Zone WTZN-FM
Hot Talk Pittsburgh, PA / 23 Live 6A-9A CBS Radio
Pitts-urgh
something's missing
Thanks for listening to 93.7 The Zone. CBS radio will be launching another station at 93.7 this Friday October 5th @ 5pm.

If you are looking for Pittsburgh news and talk, please tune to NewsRadio 1020 KDKA

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
And the boys have already hinted that they'll soon be off in Philly so Kidd Chris can do mornings. No wonder CBS has been so cheap with them lately.

It looks like the radio dentist was right. Again.

http://wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=75833

deadfruitvirus

One character short :(
Mar 3, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
And another point is ol' Mel Karmazin doesn't like sharing his content with terrestrial. They plan to honor all contracts til it's time to renegotiate, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mel wants to keep O&A satellite only.

Jims Rottweiler

Anyone ever smell my ass?
Apr 23, 2005
Just another reason why Detroit fucking sucks a bag of donkey dicks.

On the other hand, if I were being replaced by Deminski or Doyle, I might have to kill myself.

Bralio

Waddle-doodle
Apr 13, 2005
FL - Mule of the US
And another point is ol' Mel Karmazin doesn't like sharing his content with terrestrial. They plan to honor all contracts til it's time to renegotiate, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mel wants to keep O&A satellite only.
Without trying to prompt a "FreeFM versus XM" thread war...

I'd be ok with that, personally.

T

toosweet

Wow This sucks on so many levels I knew something was up on the way home. Looks like only Audible for me now.

Ronreddog

Unofficial O&A Twitter Tough Guy
May 11, 2007
Sunny Florida
On the other hand, if I were being replaced by Deminski or Doyle, I might have to kill myself.
WOW, I remember when D&D were on NJ101.5, and now they are taking over mornings in fucking Detroit? Are they kidding me???

O&A need to get on in Tampa!!!

May 10, 2007
And the boys have already hinted that they'll soon be off in Philly so Kidd Chris can do mornings. No wonder CBS has been so cheap with them lately.

It looks like the radio dentist was right. Again.

http://wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=75833
my buddy told me that Philly was always a huge Howard city. You think thats the case the boys are being pulled off?

what are the current ratings in the other markets?

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
the boys are gettin smoked,,,New York and Boston will NEVER get rid of them though,,,Im shocked about YSP though????? Are you guys serious????? Fuck that :(

Opie and Anthony's ratings at wbcn are fine :) Just move on and don't bother to look em up, the station is sticking with them because they have a history with them and love the show,,,,carry on :)

S

Shinebox2

I'm not surprised by this news at all. The restrictions have killed their show. Hopefully, the return to XM full time.

May 10, 2007
the FCC has really fucked up and set radio back 30 years. Thats why SATELLITE RADIO is the new medium that will never go away. BUY STOCK NOW!!!

Newmania

**I move away from the mic to fuck your mother.
May 15, 2006
The lily white suburbs of Detoilet
Detroit Free Press article on Live97.1

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071001/ENT03/71001035/1115/ENT05

WKRK-FM, WXYT-AM to simulcast sports talk
Deminski & Doyle to host morning show on both stations
October 1, 2007

BY JOHN SMYNTEK

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Editor's note: Story updated at 3:03 P.M.

Two CBS-owned radio stations merged today and started to simulcast sports talk at 3 p.m., CBS radio announced Monday.

WXYT-AM (1270) and WKRK-FM (97.1) became WXYT-AM and FM, at 3 p.m. And the new morning show on both stations will be WKRK's successful afternoon drive show, with Jeff Deminski and Bill Doyle. The other WKRK voices---syndicated morning show Opie & Anthony, Johnny D., longtime Detroit radio voice Jay Towers, Lila and Bill McAllister ---were not retained. Gone from WXYT is the syndicated ESPN morning show, with Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic.

Such a consolidation has been rumored ever since the stations started simulcasting play-by-play coverage of the Tigers and Red Wings, starting with last hockey season. WXYT's AM signal has coverage gaps, especially at night and was troublesome as the Tigers onfield fortunes improved. WKRK has been the flagship for Lions.

A station announcement said University of Michigan sports would be part of the mix. Right now, U-M football is carried on WOMC-FM (104.3), also a CBS station, and Canada's CKLW-AM (800). It was not immediately know if football will be affected. Likely U-M basketball will air on the combined stations.

Deminski and Doyle will make their debut in Morning Drive Tuesday at 6 a.m. after eight years as a successful afternoon drive show.

“We are extremely excited about the transformation our station is presently undergoing and excitedly predict continued success for Deminski & Doyle in their new timeslot,” said Kevin Murphy, Vice President and General Manager of the two stations.

The rest of the WXYT-FM/AM weekday schedule will be Scott Anderson and Doug Karsch 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. followed by Mike Valenti and Terry Foster from 2- 6 p.m. Pat Caputo and Dennis Fithian will host evening shows through 2 a.m. on nights when there is no play-by-play sports

Dan Zampillo will be prrogram director of WXYT-FM/AM; the fate of Craig Schwalb, programmer of WKRK was not known.

N

NickCostanzo

Fucking 93.7 was playing christmas music on the way home today, saying that the new station was like an early christmas gift. Its kind of funny... their new all-talk format didn't even last half a year. They switched mid-April, and were done by the first of October.

I heard O&A this morning, hopefully I'll hear it tomorrow as well. I'll keep listening through Audible regardless.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
the boys are gettin smoked,,,New York and Boston will NEVER get rid of them though,,,Im shocked about YSP though????? Are you guys serious????? Fuck that :(

Opie and Anthony's ratings at wbcn are fine :) Just move on and don't bother to look em up, the station is sticking with them because they have a history with them and love the show,,,,carry on :)
If they do get the boot in Philly, I have a good theory on why that is.
I run a repair shop down here and I listen until they go off at 9am and then I
put on my MP3 player for the rest of the day.

Problem is that the local shows go on way past that. I have tuned in radios in
customer's cars and have found that Preston & Steve are on way past their
10 am deadline. They do alot of local appearances and have a huge prise closet
where they give out tickets to local shows, movies and cases of beer to just
about any yahoo who calls in.

The longer hours that they are on just kills the "linger longer" philosophy.
You can't listen longer to a show that isn't on the air. I love the show and
I'll always listen to them but the current sharing of the show between FM
and XM is just a ratings killer for the FM market. Something has to change.

Just my opinion but I know plenty of people down here that seem to back that up.

gilpdawg

Jan 6, 2005
Opie kind of hinted at that during his little rant today. Something like "we'll have a decision to make, and they are making it easier."

And, as someone who hates FM radio, and I had XM BEFORE the boys even signed, just because I loved the concept, I would so love a return to an XM only show.

Debbie1125

Mar 4, 2007
Philly, PA

Unfortunately I think that O&A will be off of WYSP when their contract is up and replaced with Kidd Chris.

One look at the recent ratings and you can see that Philly is the capital of lame radio. That's why it's a good market for satellite. I only listen to the boys in the morning and sometimes 104.5, the newest rock station. I also download the previous days show and listen on MP3

Personally I wouldn't mind if they switched the entire show over to XM. There's way too much that can't be said on terrestrial, and I've always been one to enjoy uncensored content.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Debbie1125 said:
Personally I wouldn't mind if they switched the entire show over to XM. There's way too much that can't be said on terrestrial, and I've always been one to enjoy uncensored content.
Yeah. The current sharing of the show between XM and FM just isn't working.
It's just not conducive to good ratings.
( at least here in Philly )

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
I dont think the FM show hit its full stride until 3 or 4 months ago. this show has ALWAYS been an acquired taste, meaning it never got immediate results, even within the first year. wasnt on wnew or xm. the ratings are already good in nyc and boston, but it would need another year or two to see how this show can really do in fm mornings.

but o and a being who they are, with the xm side as well, few are willing to think long term about this. which would be the norm in most cases

Little Chuckie

Jul 21, 2005
I feel bad for the bbboys, I like the XM side better but support them being on FM because it gets them a wider audience and it was something they want all along.

If XM had half a brain they'd put a few O&A on XM Radio billboards up in those cities. Hell I'd chip in if the Pest would do it.