Opie & Anthony Listening Thread - 06/28/10 - It's Not Coming Home

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
It is part of the human condition, sad melancholy people have more time to think about what they did "wrong" instead of enjoying the moment and therefore think more about topics.
Is this a knock on me or Opie? And I think about a lot of topics, I just happen to think of them sadly and melancholyly.

I agree with this but the one thing you left out is the fact that they made their own bed as far as the celebrity thing goes. You can't shit on celebrities/the movie industry day in and day out. If you want celebrity friends you have to be willing to play the game, OnA weren't willing to do so.
They're in this strange middle ground now where they both play the game and sabotage it. It hasn't been as brutal as it was years ago, which is why I think we have less Bad Guest Days (which are the best interviews the show does bar none). But it's not nice and they do act bitchy about having to do some of the loser interviews/not getting the best guests. So they get nothing. And we get bitching about how they can't get good guests (with whom to do a mediocre interview with) and less funny BGDs.

Liddy, I agree with every point in your assessment except the scenario you crafted where you imagined SfS3 not happening, and they flourish at NEW.

I pretty much gave up on pointing out their (OnA's) hypocrisies and backpedaling over the years, but they were pretty accurate when they said early on that if it wasn't SfS, something else was going to knock them off the radio soon, and that satellite was the only logical choice for the radio they wanted to do.

The summer of 2002 was some of the most insane radio anyone has ever done. Those dudes were killing their own show in the name of greatness, and EVERYone was listening and talking about it. They were doing any and everything to get to this point, and it killed them.

Going back to satellite, I -- and everyone else -- thought "man, it's going to pick up right where it left off."

And then...... it didn't.

Gonzoid

The Tenacious T-Bagger
Sarcasm.

The way I see it, Opie desperately wants the show to have legitimate notoriety and fame. He wants the celebrity friends of the show. He wants the viral video. He wants Free FM back. He wants the Opie and Anthony brand to be known nationwide from people who have never seen an XM radio.

Not that I blame him. The Opie and Anthony show is his life's work. He will never have anything as big as the show ever again. None of us will. They (and stations and staff) have put a lot of time and a lot of effort into creating something honestly quite impressive.

Unfortunately, the show will never achieve the level of success Opie wants it to have and, maybe, it should have. He wants an empire. And the show possibly could have had at one point.

The problem is, the show can't have it now. And it wasn't XM's fault or Sirius' or FreeFM's. It's a combination of a) the changing times (with the internet and podcasting and the genre being dead) and b) Sex for Sam 3. If the show skated on SfS3 (and barring any other incidents), it would have continued the WNEW momentum and possibly risen to something gigantic.

Instead, to disappear for several years and come back as part of a niche company that didn't support you at first. Then the FreeFM clusterfuck and back to Sirius. Throw in age. Throw in the massive changes that happened entertainment-wise since SFS. How the demo has changed. And the show never could achieve the heights it reached at WNEW.

Opie's, understandably, is bitter about that. But instead of accepting their lot in life and trying to do the best they can with what they have, he still passive-aggressively holds grudges against the suits and the celebrities and everyone else. I do think Opie believes they deserve the WNEW level of fame and regard (which they don't) or even believes they deserve where they would have been had WNEW not fired them (hence the occasional 'we're equal to if not better than Howard').

And, again, I "get" where Opie's coming from. I don't think any of us (myself included) can or will ever understand what it's like to be so close to greatness only to have it snatched away. And no one can fault him for trying to achieve that again. But he can be condemned for (seemingly) constantly using diva-ish tactics even though that gets him nowhere.
I think you are spot on here. I have said before on this board that this is the first time in the history of the show when there is no "next big thing on the horizon" for them and the show. WBAB was for them to be picked up as a team. AAF was for them to get to a bigger station or NYC. At NEW it was them being syndicated. At XM it was (secretly) for them to get back on regular radio. I think they felt that when they were first on Free Fm on 20 stations morning drive as well as being on satellite...they were at their peak in terms of audience and exposure. Then it slowly started being taken away from them. This post merger, satellite only show..while still funny as hell...I get the feeling from Opie especially that the "prime" of this show is gone. They are never getting back to the point they were 10 years ago with NEW and the new climate of radio will not allow them to do the show they wanted on regular radio. I don't think it bothers Jimmy and Ant as much...but it definately eats away at Opie. Jim is a successful standup and Ant's work on talking heads shows like Redeyes...as well as his talent with voices will pretty much guarantee he will have the abiity to work when the show ends. Op may only be able to work in radio and that is it.

They were on their way before S4S put them on the sidelines for too long. They then got some mainstream heat when they took over for Roth on Howards old stations...but it did not work out. You are right Liddy, Op knows that they had two chances at grabbing the ring and it did not happen for them. It made them ridiculously rich...but never put them on the mainstream level or anywhere close to that of Stern.

The Keeed

Sarcasm.

The way I see it, Opie desperately wants the show to have legitimate notoriety and fame. He wants the celebrity friends of the show. He wants the viral video. He wants Free FM back. He wants the Opie and Anthony brand to be known nationwide from people who have never seen an XM radio.

Not that I blame him. The Opie and Anthony show is his life's work. He will never have anything as big as the show ever again. None of us will. They (and stations and staff) have put a lot of time and a lot of effort into creating something honestly quite impressive.

Unfortunately, the show will never achieve the level of success Opie wants it to have and, maybe, it should have. He wants an empire. And the show possibly could have had at one point.

The problem is, the show can't have it now. And it wasn't XM's fault or Sirius' or FreeFM's. It's a combination of a) the changing times (with the internet and podcasting and the genre being dead) and b) Sex for Sam 3. If the show skated on SfS3 (and barring any other incidents), it would have continued the WNEW momentum and possibly risen to something gigantic.

Instead, to disappear for several years and come back as part of a niche company that didn't support you at first. Then the FreeFM clusterfuck and back to Sirius. Throw in age. Throw in the massive changes that happened entertainment-wise since SFS. How the demo has changed. And the show never could achieve the heights it reached at WNEW.

Opie's, understandably, is bitter about that. But instead of accepting their lot in life and trying to do the best they can with what they have, he still passive-aggressively holds grudges against the suits and the celebrities and everyone else. I do think Opie believes they deserve the WNEW level of fame and regard (which they don't) or even believes they deserve where they would have been had WNEW not fired them (hence the occasional 'we're equal to if not better than Howard').

And, again, I "get" where Opie's coming from. I don't think any of us (myself included) can or will ever understand what it's like to be so close to greatness only to have it snatched away. And no one can fault him for trying to achieve that again. But he can be condemned for (seemingly) constantly using diva-ish tactics even though that gets him nowhere.
Yeah, I agree with all of this, and it did put into perspective some of Op's behavior. It's clear the Howard grudge and constant jabs come more from a desire to be considered on the same level as him (he?) rather than the whole gag order thing.

At the same time, Opie needs to get over this because it honestly reeks of desperation most of the time. His "edgy" contests, his show characters, his need for a video to go viral, his need to be the first to discover such and such, his need to give his or the show's "twisted take" on every current event take away from when the show is best, which is when a bunch of guys are just bullshitting and being funny. It's not necessarily about anything in particular, and it's not necessarily something that's going to make news, but it's something that both new listeners and long time fans will enjoy.

At the same time, Opie needs to get over this because it honestly reeks of desperation most of the time. His "edgy" contests, his show characters, his need for a video to go viral, his need to be the first to discover such and such, his need to give his or the show's "twisted take" on every current event take away from when the show is best, which is when a bunch of guys are just bullshitting and being funny. It's not necessarily about anything in particular, and it's not necessarily something that's going to make news, but it's something that both new listeners and long time fans will enjoy.
You put into words what I've been trying to put my finger on for the longest. Well put. :clap:

I think Ant and Jim agree with this. I can't believe there hasn't been more discussion around the absolute bashing they gave to Opie's shit-bit about testicle eating, and how fucking stupid it was. On top of that, Anthony gave two words to Opie's Bobo project, then hung up.

I mean, at the end of Friday's show, Vos just threw up his hands and said that the show is no longer "edgy" [I fucking hate that word now, along with "cringe"], and compared the show to a Vegas act.

I just don't understand when people shit on Opie-less shows, when it's the closest we come to the grand NEW-era content.

Not enough sports and baby talk I guess.

Who wants to bet that Opie is going to be saying "poo poo" for the next 6 months. Just like he kept saying "blewwburriesss" forever..
"and i told them they don't have the right... skillllllset. oh boy they don't like that word hurrr hur"

:icon_cry: