Opie & Anthony Listening Thread 2010-07-20 Descriptive Tread Title

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Steve brings nothing to the table... except a fork.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
HHH just body slammed Ryan Reynolds, but I was waiting for a Pedigree.

nataskaos

He's no good to me dead.
FTR, just got laid.
fuck yeah.
hooray for my chick's new job that keeps her home during the day.

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Opie should give up radio and become a literary agent. According to him, everyone should write an autobiography.

nataskaos

He's no good to me dead.
saw Rampage last night, and it SHOULD have been great.
the camera work is so fucking terrible though.

Pieper

I post on a forum filled with assholes.
I have no pants, socks, or underwear on, but I do have on an old South park "The many deaths of Kenny" shirt. I'm sitting balls out on a smelly love seat, eating some bbq chips with french onion dip while listening to O&A and reading wackbag. Makin' mommy proud.

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
When Kevin Smith said "I'm still here" I laughed so fucking hard.

loganfield

I am a silly goose.
I have that Barnes and Barnes album on vinyl. Got it from the radio station I was working at. It's actually pretty funny all the way through.
Little known fact...that's the one and only Bill Paxton in the video carrying around the fish head....

"What's an F-5?"

"Fishhead of God..."

ZeoVGM

I am awesome. You are not.
The boys, especially Opie, talking about comedies is always so horrible and then it turns an "everything is so PC" rant. He feels the need to find excuses as to why others in the theater are laughing. Maybe they just... thought it was funny? Three reviews so far on Rotten Tomatoes, all of them fresh. (So far, obviously. Since it's very early and could go down at any time.)

And no, it's not that "somebody needs to say it" about Steve Carrell sucking. He's put out two movies so far this year. Both of which were well reviewed and big hits. I mean, it's fine that he doesn't find the guy very funny but he acts like he's the guy not afraid to say the truth, mannnnn.

Ant mentions "did he have to do Get Smart"? Well, no. But it made $100 mil here and $200 mil worldwide and Carrell himself is writing the sequel. (And it has far better reviews than Cop Out, which the boys liked even though it's everything they usually shit on.)

I just hate when Opie goes on his "everything is PC" rants. Yes, shit is PC. It sucks. But he acts like every comedy should be trying not to be PC. In Dinner for Schmucks, he wasn't retarded and they didn't want to mention it. He's just an over-the-top stupid person. There's no reason to dive deep into it like there's more to it.

And E-Rock, movies can have two leads. Hate to break it to you.

Just a little rant, as I'm listening to the show now.

ZeoVGM

The difference is Get Smart actually isn't a bad movie and sits at like 55% on RottenTomatoes, unlike Without a Paddle which is at like 15%. Without a Paddle was looked at as a critical bomb, Get Smart was just a mindless summer flick with middle-of-the-road reviews.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
I'm the same way Zeo. I try my hardest to skip over movie/tv discussion. Like when Opie said how television comedies suck today because of the single camera format, which I feel has made comedies so much stronger in recent years.

But a problem with the show (and a lot of the listeners) is the "if it's not not-PC it sucks!!" mentality. Not everything has to be about pushing the envelope, not everything has to be edgy, and not everything has to have some sort of social relevance. Blacks don't need to always be the subject of ire lest the joke-teller is accused of white guilt.
Christians can be mocked even without an anti-Muslim addendum.

But- with Opie especially- you get the sense that when he talks about films or television, he doesn't really know what he's talking about. He thinks he knows what he's supposed to say (which leads to some of his awkward praising of some stuff) and when he's supposed to be angry ("uh...NORBIT!!! Mainstream Media and NORBIT!!!"; "leave X alone") but it doesn't seem personal- and I'm not saying it's not genuine, I think he's saying what he feels even though his feelings aren't exactly his own, if that makes any sense.

And Get Smart was better than I thought it was going to be. I still like the original show but I liked how Maxwell Smart wasn't completely a borderline retard.

And besides, we all know Opie's beef with Steve Carrel has more to do with him not being a guest than his filmography.

ZeoVGM

Oh, the other thing was that why is Opie now talking about how Brand shouldn't be remaking Arthur? When Brand was on the show talking about it, he was saying how they were being respectful and NOT doing what they did to Pink Panther. While that remains to be seen, Opie was agreeing with him and sounded like he believed him. So why not say this when Brand was in studio?

But a problem with the show (and a lot of the listeners) is the "if it's not not-PC it sucks!!" mentality. Not everything has to be about pushing the envelope, not everything has to be edgy, and not everything has to have some sort of social relevance. Blacks don't need to always be the subject of ire lest the joke-teller is accused of white guilt.
Christians can be mocked even without an anti-Muslim addendum.
When Ant mentioned "and I bet there aren't any black cab drivers either."

Who cares? Why in the world would that come to mind? It's a comedy about a drunken British guy and they're supposed to think "well, realistically there would be a black cab driver 44.562% of the time, so to be true to New York we should hire a black guy."

justifyyourgarb

You drab South Bend cocksuckers are all the same.
The difference is Get Smart actually isn't a bad movie and sits at like 55% on RottenTomatoes, unlike Without a Paddle which is at like 15%. Without a Paddle was looked at as a critical bomb, Get Smart was just a mindless summer flick with middle-of-the-road reviews.
Dude, I didn't even finish Get Smart. I'm not into that bumbly horseshit.

I assume by the end, despite being a complete dummy, he turns it around, and saves the day. Does he get the girl? God I hope so.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
When Ant mentioned "and I bet there aren't any black cab drivers either."

Who cares? Why in the world would that come to mind? It's a comedy about a drunken British guy and they're supposed to think "well, realistically there would be a black cab driver 44.562% of the time, so to be true to New York we should hire a black guy."
And if they did hire a black guy to play the cab driver...

PC!! PC!!! RING THE PC BELL FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WE ARE BREAKING NEW GROUND HERE!!!