Opie Radio Podcast

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
It looks like he is still doing this thing. His youtube numbers are really bad. He can't be happy.
Why would anyone watch an audio only free podcast on YouTube? Marc Maron was only getting a couple thousand views and stopped posting his show on YouTube almost a year ago. Not sure why Opie bothers. What does he make, like 60 cents a year off that?

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
Why would anyone watch an audio only free podcast on YouTube? Marc Maron was only getting a couple thousand views and stopped posting his show on YouTube almost a year ago. Not sure why Opie bothers. What does he make, like 60 cents a year off that?
Stop being so naive. It's about increasing his visibility so his metrics are synergized.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I dont know but many people do. For example, epi 1 of serial has 200k views. Burr gets around 100k per epi there.

LiddyRules

I dont know but many people do. For example, epi 1 of serial has 200k views. Burr gets around 100k per epi there.
Convenience and promotion. Getting a podcast without a Podcast App can be annoying and clunky. You might not want to/can't download and streaming can be spotty. Then having to get back out and do it again for the next episode. Whereas YouTube is more reliable and easier to search for the specific topic or episode you want. Also, if you're looking for similar shows, the YouTube suggestions is better than anything I've seen on regular podcast sites.

And some places like offices might block sites other than YouTube.

Pigdango

Donator
Convenience and promotion. Getting a podcast without a Podcast App can be annoying and clunky. You might not want to/can't download and streaming can be spotty. Then having to get back out and do it again for the next episode. Whereas YouTube is more reliable and easier to search for the specific topic or episode you want. Also, if you're looking for similar shows, the YouTube suggestions is better than anything I've seen on regular podcast sites.

And some places like offices might block sites other than YouTube.
Well that explains it. Nobody is looking for Opie or anything similar to him.

LiddyRules

Well that explains it. Nobody is looking for Opie or anything similar to him.
What about poor Bruce Willis? His life has been Death Wish, signing a three picture deal with Movie Pass, and encountering Opie. His high point was being the weakest part of Glass. Bird Box was a higher point for Sarah Paulson than Glass.

Pigdango

Donator
BUMP! There's good news and bad news for Opie Haters!

The Good News - Opie has apparently been FIRED (or his contract not renewed) from Westwood One!

The Bad News - Opie is still doing a podcast! Looks like he's self funding it right now and hosting it through a company called omny. :haha7:

I can't imagine that's going to last very long. The costs on that must be astronomical compared to the small amount of money he would bring in through advertisers.

DiggerNick

Donator
Of course, The 'Who Are These Podcasts' show has been mocking this pile of crap weekly, and it apoears that Opie has lost Sherrod and Vic Henley as well. He's relying on the pure power of super-interviewer Opie to keep the show going.

BUMP! I can't imagine that's going to last very long. The costs on that must be astronomical compared to the small amount of money he would bring in through advertisers.
Have you heard it? I'm sure each episode costs him about eleven bucks. That's the level of sound and production quality we're getting here.

Pigdango

Donator
Of course, the

Have you heard it? I'm sure each episode costs him about eleven bucks. That's the level of sound and production quality we're getting here.
I've only listened to a couple episodes, but I'm sure that Westwood One provided all the equipment, not matter how much or how little it cost. Now he's either paying to use this other company's equipment or he had to go buy his own.

DiggerNick

Donator
I've only listened to a couple episodes, but I'm sure that Westwood One provided all the equipment, not matter how much or how little it cost. Now he's either paying to use this other company's equipment or he had to go buy his own.
Apparently they gave Opie a 'studio', which was a cubicle in the corner of a room. Even Opie was self-aware enough to be embarrassed by that, which is probably why the moronic decision was made to have the show in a noisy bar with one microphone for four people.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
Must be a hard pill to swallow. Going from a giant syndicated radio show to a podcast that can’t have an audience of more than a few hundred. At this point even if they got back together nobody would give a shit.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Must be a hard pill to swallow. Going from a giant syndicated radio show to a podcast that can’t have an audience of more than a few hundred. At this point even if they got back together nobody would give a shit.
His twitter feed is literally responding to anyone who will listen to his goddamn podcast.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Westwood set him up with a simple portable podcast device. The, one and only, Opie Show I ever listened to, was the one where Opie explained how went to wherever to pick up his hardware, and he expected it to be a bunch of stuff that he'd need to hire Pat from Moonachie to load into a van and deliver to his apartment. When he got there, they handed him one of these.

And the rest is history.

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
I’m sure Anthony will have nothing to say of this as he nears year 5.

ysr50

Donator
Opie has never worked a hard job as an adult. He would tell the same stories about his dad forcing him to make concrete over and over. His dad was not dumb, Opie did work as hard as he could to make sure he would never have to make a living that required actually getting his hands dirty. That got him some notoriety as an evening DJ in a fairly small market that catered to blue collar workers. He seemed to have sort of reached his own potential at that point but wanted more and then he found Anthony. Anthony was someone that the listeners could actually relate to, because Anthony was just like them, shitty job doing shitty work in shitty conditions, the difference being he was actually funny and the rest is history. Neither of them are very funny anymore. As far as their current situations I think Opie thought things would just continue, whereas Anthony probably thought his entire world was going to fall apart and put some effort into trying to keep his head above water. The outcome is obvious, Opie is living on savings and Ant has built a podcast network (I have no idea if he's making any money). Opie never scrapped, Ant did.

LiddyRules

Opie has never worked a hard job as an adult. He would tell the same stories about his dad forcing him to make concrete over and over. His dad was not dumb, Opie did work as hard as he could to make sure he would never have to make a living that required actually getting his hands dirty. That got him some notoriety as an evening DJ in a fairly small market that catered to blue collar workers. He seemed to have sort of reached his own potential at that point but wanted more and then he found Anthony. Anthony was someone that the listeners could actually relate to, because Anthony was just like them, shitty job doing shitty work in shitty conditions, the difference being he was actually funny and the rest is history. Neither of them are very funny anymore. As far as their current situations I think Opie thought things would just continue, whereas Anthony probably thought his entire world was going to fall apart and put some effort into trying to keep his head above water. The outcome is obvious, Opie is living on savings and Ant has built a podcast network (I have no idea if he's making any money). Opie never scrapped, Ant did.
Hold on. Hold on. Hold on. Opie didn't scrap? Never worked hard jobs? That guy was a caddy!

ysr50

Donator
Hold on. Hold on. Hold on. Opie didn't scrap? Never worked hard jobs? That guy was a caddy!
I said he never worked a hard job as an adult. His entire adult career has been in broadcasting, and there's nothing wrong with that. He went to college and got a degree and actually started a career based on his degree and college experience. His jobs as a child hold no water. He believes he actually wore cement bags as boot liners in the winter as a kid, I doubt that story is true. His harsh upbringing motivated him to never get his hands dirty as an adult, and he didn't. Working hard as a kid and working hard as a full grown man are further opposites than apples and oranges. If you don't understand that simple distinction I suspect you've followed Opies path to soft handed adulthood.