Opie Radio Podcast

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Was that the Ant comedy show? How was it?
Anthony's comedy show was Friday night. Bob Kelly did a separate show Saturday night.

Anthony's comedy show was way better than I was expecting based on the clips I watched of the comics. So much of what makes comedy work is having the right comedian in front of the right audience. Aaron Berg only did a few minutes and basically just worked over the crowd. He's...not great. He and Gino Bisconte do that thing where they punctuate every single thing they say with "but anyway" or "you know" to sort of let people know they have finished their joke. It's a comedy crutch. Hopefully you know what I mean.

Gino got shitfaced and actually seemed to get a little funnier as he did. I thought Pat Dixon was pretty funny, and Dave Landau was really funny in his standup. He was probably the best of the night. Pantelis was also good. Kevin Brennan was a no-show obviously, and Shane Gillis didn't show either. They were replaced by Joe Currie, who was pretty good, and a female comic. I've forgotten her name, but you probably know how that went. She was actually a lot better than the female comic who hosted for Bob Kelly.

Afterwards they set up a table and did about 45 minutes of Q&A with the audience that I think they taped, so I assume it will be on Anthony's network at some point. I'm not sure how they are on their show, but Anthony and Landau had zero chemistry in that format. Anthony was riffing along and Landau would try to get a word in and brought things to a screeching halt every time.

Anthony mentioned Opie in the beginning and the crowd gave Opie a pretty nice round of applause. A couple of people booed of course. Anthony didn't really say anything about him. I think he was just taking the pulse of the room. It was definitely way more pro-Opie than anti, so I think he decided not to go off on him. Later on someone asked about a reunion with Opie, and Anthony said that he was ready to announce that he and Opie would never ever speak again. That got more of an uncomfortable murmur and some groans from the crowd than anything else. Then he said something like "you poor people are like the children of divorce - all you want is for mommy and daddy to get back together." He wasn't frustrated, I think he was trying to be genuinely empathetic while being pretty clear that he didn't see much chance of it. Regardless of your opinions on anything or anyone, I do think it must be hard for people in Anthony's situation. No matter how much he accomplishes, he will be dogged by that question and that reaction to the answer for the rest of his career.

Anthony's comedy show was Friday night. Bob Kelly did a separate show Saturday night.

Anthony's comedy show was way better than I was expecting based on the clips I watched of the comics. So much of what makes comedy work is having the right comedian in front of the right audience. Aaron Berg only did a few minutes and basically just worked over the crowd. He's...not great. He and Gino Bisconte do that thing where they punctuate every single thing they say with "but anyway" or "you know" to sort of let people know they have finished their joke. It's a comedy crutch. Hopefully you know what I mean.

Gino got shitfaced and actually seemed to get a little funnier as he did. I thought Pat Dixon was pretty funny, and Dave Landau was really funny in his standup. He was probably the best of the night. Pantelis was also good. Kevin Brennan was a no-show obviously, and Shane Gillis didn't show either. They were replaced by Joe Currie, who was pretty good, and a female comic. I've forgotten her name, but you probably know how that went. She was actually a lot better than the female comic who hosted for Bob Kelly.

Afterwards they set up a table and did about 45 minutes of Q&A with the audience that I think they taped, so I assume it will be on Anthony's network at some point. I'm not sure how they are on their show, but Anthony and Landau had zero chemistry in that format. Anthony was riffing along and Landau would try to get a word in and brought things to a screeching halt every time.

Anthony mentioned Opie in the beginning and the crowd gave Opie a pretty nice round of applause. A couple of people booed of course. Anthony didn't really say anything about him. I think he was just taking the pulse of the room. It was definitely way more pro-Opie than anti, so I think he decided not to go off on him. Later on someone asked about a reunion with Opie, and Anthony said that he was ready to announce that he and Opie would never ever speak again. That got more of an uncomfortable murmur and some groans from the crowd than anything else. Then he said something like "you poor people are like the children of divorce - all you want is for mommy and daddy to get back together." He wasn't frustrated, I think he was trying to be genuinely empathetic while being pretty clear that he didn't see much chance of it. Regardless of your opinions on anything or anyone, I do think it must be hard for people in Anthony's situation. No matter how much he accomplishes, he will be dogged by that question and that reaction to the answer for the rest of his career.
Wait, Ant had a real comedy show? I thought you meant the skanks taping.

Too bad Shane didn't show up. That guy is Dan Soder 2.0. Everyone seems to love him.

Pigdango

Donator
Wait, Ant had a real comedy show? I thought you meant the skanks taping.

Too bad Shane didn't show up. That guy is Dan Soder 2.0. Everyone seems to love him.
Yeah. Definitely a good show for the money. They started a little after 7 and went til almost 11. By way of comparison, Bob Kelly's entire show including MC and opener was less than 90 minutes, and the cost was about the same.

Bobby was obviously way funnier than any of Anthony's comics, but none of them were terrible. Bobby is just that good.

Yeah. Definitely a good show for the money. They started a little after 7 and went til almost 11. By way of comparison, Bob Kelly's entire show including MC and opener was less than 90 minutes, and the cost was about the same.

Bobby was obviously way funnier than any of Anthony's comics, but none of them were terrible. Bobby is just that good.
I'm surprised Aaron didn't do better. I've seen him kill doing plain stand up and not hosting.

Pigdango

Donator
I'm surprised Aaron didn't do better. I've seen him kill doing plain stand up and not hosting.
He was much better than I thought he would be. Again, he only did a couple minutes at the beginning and then I think he left. Someone mentioned something about him having another gig. I don't think he did any "material", just worked the crowd over a bit. Lots of material there, being a Long Island O&A crowd, so he was fine. Just used the verbal crutches a lot as I mentioned.

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
Here's a clip from the show that got Ari in trouble with Chris Rock.

Skanks airs live for free on monday at 9:30 pm. The free version hits on Friday if you forget or can't watch it live.

I just have to say I FUCKING LOVE Ari and I really hope he gets his just rewards for his honesty at some point.

I'll say it; Ant doing Dice is way funnier than Dice ever was.
I like seeing the joy Big J and DeRosa get from his Dice impression. I was laughing my ass off when the two of them started asking for specific Dice impressions near the end of the show.

That was a great episode since we got a surprise DeRosa addition. I know some people hate him but I always liked the guy. Especially after his Pete Dominik fight.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I like seeing the joy Big J and DeRosa get from his Dice impression. I was laughing my ass off when the two of them started asking for specific Dice impressions near the end of the show.

That was a great episode since we got a surprise DeRosa addition. I know some people hate him but I always liked the guy. Especially after his Pete Dominik fight.
Good to know. I won't be watching. The only thing worse than Ant is Ant doing Dice. And DeRosa doesn't help anything.

I actually watched like 5 minutes and Ant was intolerable. I have no clue what the appeal is.
If you can get past his super loud drunk laugh then he's alright. DeRosa and Ant had been drinking for hours before the show started apparently.

Bobby and DeRosa started off the show trashing him. So you might enjoy that.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
If you can get past his super loud drunk laugh. He's alright. DeRosa and Ant had been drinking for hours before the show started apparently.

Bobby and DeRosa started off the show trashing him so you might enjoy that.
Yeah, his fake laugh has gotten completely out of control.

To give Opie equal coverage...

He's still going after Howard...

You can easily tell when it is fake, which is like 90% of the time.
I think his laugh might have annoyed Luis last night. He was oddly quite for a lot of the show. Until the very end he called out some guy who was "laughing like a girl the whole show". I figured he was misdirecting his annoyance for Ant at that guy.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I think his laugh might have annoyed Luis last night. He was oddly quite for a lot of the show. Until the very end he called out some guy who was "laughing like a girl the whole show". I figured he was misdirecting his annoyance for Ant at that guy.
In my short viewing time, I noticed Luis annoyed too. I get it, Ant was acting like every drunk you can't stand to be around.

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator
Bobby and Mark Normand found out Opie was paying Sherrod and Vick 700 bucks a show to be in-studio. They of course got nothing because they're funny. Bobby took a lot of abuse over the years from that show and rightly wanted a few bucks thrown his way.

If you didn't hear Tim say he's gay you would never know it. He sounds like a long island garbage man.

Here's a clip from the show that got Ari in trouble with Chris Rock.

Skanks airs live for free on Monday at 9:30 pm. The free version hits on Friday if you forget or can't watch it live.
I recall he gave Carl a nice size check too. Carl took it and was going to rip it up without looking at it. Once he realized it wasn't a pittance he was pretty grateful. It was the only money he had after the Exwife cleaned him out. I think Carl used that money to buy his creepy cabin in the woods and 1988 Volkswagon Rabbit.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
One douchey tweet by Ope makes me forget 6 years of Ant’s fake laughs