Opie's Statement About the Suspension

Dec 18, 2005
Huntington, New York
For those who missed it, or if it got buried somewhere else, Opie made a statement on stage at the Jones Beach Virus show. In paraphrase, it is:

"Thanks to all of our listeners...if it wasn't for you guys, we are sure we would have been off the air for a third time. Thank you."

I think that should say a lot for this about being the first time the fans saved a show

SwimConnerSwim

O&A Token Midget
Feb 20, 2007
New Jersey
It's basically the same statement he made at the beginning of the walkover on Friday.

Cromwell

Sep 28, 2004
Westbury, Long Island
It's basically the same statement he made at the beginning of the walkover on Friday.
Which I posted on Friday . . .

. . . just sayin' that's all ;)

Thanks for the recognition, Opie!

Also - from the stage Anthony added something to the effect that "who knew you guys actually had the power to save a radio show".
:icon_cool

Arch Stanton

It's all about the funny!
Nov 22, 2004
Long Island
Which I posted on Friday . . .

. . . just sayin' that's all ;)

Thanks for the recognition, Opie!

Also - from the stage Anthony added something to the effect that "who knew you guys actually had the power to save a radio show".
:icon_cool
That's right budday. He stated that it was the first time the fans of a Radio Show saved one.

BTW, so great to see ya on Saturday!

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Should also be giving thanks to Nashville Coffee and Adam+Eve.net for making a statement from the advertising side of things. No matter who the sponsor, it's a pretty big statement when a sponsor stands that firmly behind a radio show. Nashville Coffee went as far to say that they would tell current advertisers and prospective advertisers to reconsider.

I definitely think the boys would have been eventually fired during those 30 days if it hadn't been for us, pesky fucks. And I still solely blame this merger on it...and I think once this merger bullshit blows over and is denied, XM will actually grow a spine. They will need to, it's business. Though, I must say, it seems like they could've been fired in the past as well for the AOTM incident and not to mention, that "incident" with the geeeeurls who may or may not have had proper ID.

I dunno, most importantly though...with this merger in limbo, we should be thanking Howard Stern for not having XM fire O&A. Thanks Howard. :icon_roll

Sacre Boo

Jan 24, 2006
I dunno, most importantly though...with this merger in limbo, we should be thanking Howard Stern for not having XM fire O&A. Thanks Howard. :icon_roll
Please tell me he didn't actually say words to that effect.

I think that should say a lot for those that were/are in doubt about cancelling, or carrying out an action against XM.
I'm with you up to this point. And it's been mandated by the Wackbag staff that no one pick at or trash anybody who cancelled, which is fine. But people still keep hacking at those who didn't

Like I said, I admire anyone for taking a stand in the way they felt was right. Great job, but to trash people for no reason is over the line.

If you cancelled, and you believed in it that's great. But tearing up the fucking things served no purpose. You already paid for them. It's like inner city hoodrats burning down their own neighborhoods during a riot. Proves and fixes nothing.

For many of us there's more than one reason why we have XM. I have no idea why some of you folks can't grasp that.

Dec 18, 2005
Huntington, New York
I'm with you up to this point. And it's been mandated by the Wackbag staff that no one pick at or trash anybody who cancelled, which is fine. But people still keep hacking at those who didn't

Like I said, I admire anyone for taking a stand in the way they felt was right. Great job, but to trash people for no reason is over the line.

If you cancelled, and you believed in it that's great. But tearing up the fucking things served no purpose. You already paid for them. It's like inner city hoodrats burning down their own neighborhoods during a riot. Proves and fixes nothing.

For many of us there's more than one reason why we have XM. I have no idea why some of you folks can't grasp that.
I didn't put this up there to "pick" at anyone who was on the fence. There were people that weren't sure, and we got the word.

ps-it did get press.

Loach

Lord of Lurkers
Nov 18, 2003
Wild West Jersey
Except it got press. Which was the point.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
We wish people would go on from here and thank that everyone that helped in their own ways.

They consider their position to be unassailable for people who care about the show.

You commenting on what they did makes it a little more purposeful.

It is like the media commenting on....

FYI: That's their impetus btw.

Everytime you cringe when you hear about it in the news.

Please don't digress that much.

I guess you never fought for anything.

Accept what people give you.

blotto98

YEAH! Wait. What?
Sep 9, 2005
In the D - south of 8 mile
I guess you never fought for anything.

Accept what people give you.
This type of comment is uncalled for. You don’t know me or YourAmishDaddy or anyone else who choose not to cancel. You have no right to make these condescending and contrite comments about other people. The entire ‘better than thou’ attitude of the people who cancelled is insulting.
As YourAmishDaddy said I congratulate those who made their stand and cancelled and/or destroyed your equipment. Apparently it made a difference, so good work. But why does that make you better than those who didn’t?

SwimConnerSwim

O&A Token Midget
Feb 20, 2007
New Jersey
can't we put this who cancelled and who didn't debate behind us? The next problem is coming up from the horizon: The Merger. If we are still fighting this battle how can we focus on the merger?

Dec 18, 2005
Huntington, New York
This type of comment is uncalled for. You don’t know me or YourAmishDaddy or anyone else who choose not to cancel. You have no right to make these condescending and contrite comments about other people. The entire ‘better than thou’ attitude of the people who cancelled is insulting.
As YourAmishDaddy said I congratulate those who made their stand and cancelled and/or destroyed your equipment. Apparently it made a difference, so good work. But why does that make you better than those who didn’t?
What Amish did, with respect to me, was go several steps past my post and began replying to my thread using reasoning that didn't exist.

Regardless, it was declared by the boys that they think they would have fired again if it wasn't for us and they paid tribute to all that reversed the side of the table we all sit at. This finally gave the listeners and the subscribers the power to keep a show they love on the air.

blotto98

YEAH! Wait. What?
Sep 9, 2005
In the D - south of 8 mile
can't we put this who cancelled and who didn't debate behind us?
I thought that would happen when they came back on air. But apparently not. I tolerated people writing crap about those who didn't cancel (like myself) for thirty friggin days and bit my tongue the whole time because I could see how strongly they felt about it. It just wasn't a viable option for me because I utilize XM for other reasons beyond just O&A. So I took getting shit on for a month. But now it’s obvious that some people aren’t going to let it go, so now I had to say my piece. SOS's comment about me 'not fighting for anything' crossed the line. He doesn't know anything about me or what I've fought for in my life.

I'm not trying to start some gay ass internet fight but I just couldn't take it anymore.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
just wondering how many people who identify themselves as pests
especially holders of some kind of pest org. card
did not cancel, or try to cancel their subs?

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
just wondering how many people who identify themselves as pests
especially holders of some kiknd of pest org. card
did not cancel, or try to cancel their subs?
I cancelled my 3 receivers...but came back last week. I use XM for O&A, sometimes music, Hannity, XM Comedy (not that Lampoon shit), and hockey. Had we been in the middle to late stages of a hockey season, I probably would not have cancelled, but I wanted to make a statement, and I think the people that cancelled and voiced their displeasure did. I certainly didn't expect every person that listens to O&A would cancel...XM isn't about one show or one channel (unlike the other satrad network), there's so much more going on and people have other interests.

I'll go on believing XM was set to fire O&A to appease the merger folks but that they were surprised at the amount of bad publicity it was creating and they saw big problems ahead if they lose O&A and then merger. To XM's defense though, they're running a business and they're putting all of their resources behind this stupid merger. I've loved O&A for years and sat thru the 2 years without them, but this merger is way, way more important to the company than O&A is to the company. I think XM had some heat on them from the Homeless Charlie bit and cracked under the pressure with this merger hanging in the balance.

I guess we'll all just have to agree to disagree, right?

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
i was just talking about the people that i.d.
themselves as pests

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
There were other ways to help out other than cancelling and smashing radios.

There were like 30+ stickies with different things that you could have done to help.

Such as writing to the XM/FCC/SEC/BBB/senators/reperesenatives/media.
Tying up customer service lines/email
Writing about it on the internet
The Bilboard.
Supporting PAC.
Rallies
etc

If you don't fight for what you want, it will be taken from you until you have nothing.