Oregon Ducks NCAA sanctions

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I'm piecing this together from tweets.

KOIN
NCAA hits Oregon Ducks football with 3-year probation, loss of 1 scholarship through 2016.
KGW
Ducks remain bowl eligible; 3 years probation; loss of 1 scholarship in 2013, 2014
Slap on the wrist.

Here is the story from before the ruling was released.

Ducks to learn NCAA sanctions Wed. morning

by KGW Staff and Associated Press
Bio | Email | Follow: @KGWNews

EUGENE -- The NCAA will announce sanctions against the Ducks at 8 a.m. Wednesday following a two-year investigation into improper recruiting practices.

In a prepared statement, Oregon athletic officials acknowledged that the findings will be released, and declined comment "until we have received and reviewed the report."

The NCAA has been looking into payments Oregon made to recruiting services, including a $25,000 payment to Willie Lyles and Houston-based Complete Scouting Services in 2011. Lyles had a connection with an Oregon recruit.

Documents showed Oregon paid Lyles in 2010, a month after Oregon received a letter of intent from Texas running back Lace Seastrunk. Lyles had a mentoring relationship with Seastrunk, who transferred this fall to Baylor.

Yahoo! Sports earlier reported that Lyles' role as mentor to prospects and paid contractor to Oregon is believed to be central to the NCAA's investigation.

Lyles said former coach Chip Kelly asked him to send retroactive profiles of prospects to justify the $25,000 payment to Complete Scouting Services. Lyles said Kelly was "scrambling" when he made the request because the transaction was about to be revealed in a March 3 Yahoo! Sports report.

Though Oregon didn't directly ask him or pay him to guide recruits to Oregon, Lyles said, he was paid to help top recruits achieve eligibility and make sure they followed through with their commitment to sign with the Ducks.

"I look back at it now and they paid for what they saw as my access and influence with recruits," Lyles told Yahoo! Sports. "The service I provided went beyond what a scouting service should. I made a mistake and I'm big enough of a man to admit I was wrong."

Lyles said Josh Gibson, Oregon's assistant director of football operations, had knowledge of Lyles helping Seastrunk petition to have his grandmother, rather than his mother, sign his letter of intent. Seastrunk's mother was opposed to her son going to Oregon.

"Indirectly I played a pivotal role in (Seastrunk signing with Oregon)," Lyles told the website.

Lyles said Kelly promised to become the recruiting service's first client before Seastrunk's guardianship was switched. Lyles said Kelly told him to bill Oregon for an amount equal to that charged by the top services, and they agreed to $25,000.

Lyles said Oregon never asked him for written profiles of any players from March 2010 until February 2011. When the request came, Lyles said, he believed it was because Oregon wanted to establish that he had provided legitimate scouting services.

Oregon last week released documents related to its use of Lyle's recruiting services that suggest the school paid for outdated information.

The documents include a "2010 National High School Evaluation Booklet" that actually includes high school athletes who graduated in 2009 and were a part of that year's recruiting class. It was part of a package that purportedly was for athletes entering school in 2011.

"They said they just needed anything," Lyles said. "They asked for last-minute (stuff). So I gave them last-minute (stuff). I gave them, like, old stuff that I still had on my computer because I never thought that stuff would see the light of day."

Lyles said he also arranged recruiting visits to Oregon for a number of prospects. He provided Yahoo! Sports with emails from Kelly and other members of the Ducks staff expressing appreciation for his help.

The University Of Oregon has maintained throughout the investigation process that it has done nothing wrong.
http://www.kgw.com/news/NCAA-to-announce-sanctions-Wednesday-against-Ducks-212990691.html

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
Aug 24, 2012
Knew it would be a slap on the wrist. Kelly left for the NFL, Seastrunk ended up at Baylor, and now no one is touching Lyles.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
Gotta love the consistency of the NCAA. Consistently corrupt. It's always fun to see where the different schools sit with the NCAA. If your school and/or alumni can do something for the NCAA you can **** and kill babies and get a slap on the wrist. If you're not one of those schools they'll make sure to bury your program to flex their muscles and make up for the other schools getting a slap on the wrist.