Oscar Nominations - Ceremony is 2/24/19. Prepare to be triggered

Floyd1977

I know we are making jokes, but god damn it Hollywood, Black Panther wasn't even the best comic book movie of the year.
I haven't seen BP, but I'm guessing I wouldn't find it to be as deserving of being the first superhero movie to win a BP nom as other movies of the genre have been.

Floyd1977

Let's see who I missed:

Jane Campion. Ok, but has she even made a movie since The Piano?
Sofia Coppola. Same question, but with Lost in Translation
Ava DuVernay - I probably should have remembered her
Greta Gerwig - Ok, she's made one fucking movie.
Catherine Hardwicke - Seems she got blackballed a bit after Twilight. Still working, but definitely pushed aside.
Nancy Meyers - She's made a bunch of movies I've heard of, but I've never heard of her. #Patriarchy
Jodie Foster's directed a couple, right? I know at least there's the one where Mel Gibson wears a beaver hand puppet for 90 min.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I haven't seen BP, but I'm guessing I wouldn't find it to be as deserving of being the first superhero movie to win a BP nom as other movies of the genre have been.
It's fine. About middle of the pack as far as MCU movies go.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Better Black Panther than Wonder Woman, and I can't think of many other superhero movies that would even be in actual contention since Dark Knight.

And I don't mean to denigrate superhero movies, but in reality what could you actually see being nominated? Or what deserved to be?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Better Black Panther than Wonder Woman, and I can't think of many other superhero movies that would even be in actual contention since Dark Knight.

And I don't mean to denigrate superhero movies, but in reality what could you actually see being nominated? Or what deserved to be?
I would have to go back and look at what they were up against, but I think Avengers, Guardians, Watchmen, and of course CvS could have all been nominated without anyone but folks like you griping about it. Christ there are up to 10 slots available and they don’t even fill them all most years.

Pigdango

Donator
2009 - swap in Watchmen for An Education or The Blind Side

2012 - swap in Avengers for...any of the nominees, including and especially Argo.

2014 - swap in Guardians for Birdman, Selma, Boyhood, or Imitation Game

2016 - swap in CvS for Fences or Hidden Figures

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
2009 - swap in Watchmen for An Education or The Blind Side

2012 - swap in Avengers for...any of the nominees, including and especially Argo.

2014 - swap in Guardians for Birdman, Selma, Boyhood, or Imitation Game

2016 - swap in CvS for Fences or Hidden Figures
I don't like your swap ins but I can't argue given your swap outs.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Surprised to see Richard Grant or Viggo Mortensen even nominated. Particularly the latter after the bullshit they tried to pin on him this year.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
I just realized Gay Camp didn't get nominations, nor did those two other movies with virtually the same title as Gay Camp.

Floyd1977

Defiantly would say Superman for how groundbreaking it was at the time and being a critical and commercial smash.

Floyd1977

We're talking 2008 onwards. Unless you mean Man of Steel.
Oh.

I can’t really say I’ve seen any that would make me go “hell yeah that deserves an Oscar!” For me “Logan” would probably come closest.

BIV

Has anyone actually seen Vice?

BIV

None this year...though I thought if any should, it would be Infinity War. Not only was it excellent, but it does represent the culmination of a truly historic cinematic feat....though the next movie may be more appropriate for that, providing it's good.

Before this? The only one I can think of is Logan.

Pigdango

Donator
You're crazy.

Still crazy. More because I didn't care for CvS as much as you.
You’re going to tout Hidden Figures as one of the best movies of all time and then call me crazy.