Our News Release for Our Billboard

vcdburn

Jimmy's shaved sack
lrrhoade said:
Ok, a couple of comments upfront. First, don't know if we can use PAC as the contact so we'll need to get permission. Second, PAC website is down right now so I don't have all of the contact info included yet. Finally, feel free to slam this as much as you want because you're not going to hurt my feelings. Besides, if you don't have thick skin then you shouldn't be on this message board or an O&A fan.

Here it is.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Debbie Wolf
People Against Censorship
Telephone Number
Fax Number
Email Address
PeopleAgainstCensorship.org

Headline
Washington D.C., June 4 2007— Fans of the Opie & Anthony show, also known as the ‘Pests’, are fighting back in response to the 30 day suspension of the show from XM Satellite radio.

The fans of the radio show have expressed their displeasure and declared ‘war’ against the pay-for-content provider. While fans of other radio shows have tied up phone lines of the parent company to express their dismay, the response of the pests toward the company has been unprecedented in radio history.

In their latest salvo against the company, the fans have raised money to have two roaming billboard trucks circle the XM headquarters and downtown metropolitan Washington D.C. area from June 4 through June 6. The billboard displays question the integrity of XM’s advertising appeal of uncensored radio while pointing out that the radio duo have been suspended. [MAYBE HAVE HTG OR A PEST QUOTABLE HERE ABOUT THE FANS RESPONSE AND CENSORSHP]

Since the suspension, fans of the show have tied up the phone lines of XM up to six hours waiting to speak to a customer service agent. Cancellation of subscriptions is in the thousands and estimated to be in the tens of thousands. Videos and pictures of fans destroying their radio, which have to be purchased by the consumer for a cost up to $300, have blanketed the internet. Fans have responded to media members of all types across the country which has misrepresented the facts of the situation. Emails numbering in the thousands have been sent to the FCC, SEC, and Better Business Bureau, and respective Congressmen of the fans.

On May 16, the radio show duo Opie and Anthony were suspended for discussing a situation in which a homeless man made comments the company did not find acceptable. The pair commented on the situation days after they were instructed to apologize for the remarks made and forbidden to speak of the situation again. According to XM, the pair will return to their line up on June 15, 2007.
here is yours with a little of my take. I don't know if we need the part in the orange. We may be beating a dead horse if we resay it.

Headline
Washington D.C., June 4 2007— On May 15th when XM satellite radio announced the suspension of shock jocks Opie and Anthony, they may not have counted on the full reaction of the shows paying customers. This suspension comes on the heels of multiple firings in the radio industry over controversial material.

"Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday's broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter," Washington-based XM said in a statement. This statement coming days after an apology by Opie and Anthony for comments expressed by a guest named ‘Homeless Charlie’ on their uncensored XM satellite show airing on May 10th.

The reason this incident is unique, is because XM is a subscription service much like cable or satellite TV. Also, where the show airs on XM is labeled an XL channel meaning channel blocking is available if chosen. To top things off the Opie and Anthony show is advertised as being totally “uncensored”. This latest decision by XM has left many wondering who was more shocking, the jocks who were hired to be shocking, or the company that shocked their customers by suspending an uncensored show for “comments made”. This has the XM customers crying foul and fighting back.

The fans of the Opie & Anthony show, also known as ‘the Pests’, have expressed their disappointment of the suspension by declaring ‘war’ against the subscription based Satellite Company. Shortly after the announcement, XM’s customer service was bombarded with angry fans demanding cancelation of their subscriptions. Some customers report hold times of over one hour before talking to a live person.

According to www.cancelxm.com, a web petition setup by a disgruntle XM customer, cancelations have reached into the thousands. XM has not publicly commented on the number cancelations they have received after enacting the stiffest punishment in satellite radio history. Some XM customers are also complaining about the number of repeat calls they have had to make to finally get their account closed. Multiple posts and videos recordings on YouTube.com have documented incidents where the customer service representatives have ‘suspended’ rather than ‘cancelled’ accounts forcing multiple call backs and longer wait times on the phones.

The timing of the suspension has also put into question the seriousness of the situation. This suspension comes only weeks before the verdict between the merger of the only two satellite companies, XM and Sirius, into one company. Some fans are speculating on if there was an alternative motive for the suspension handed down. Many feel it was to appease the Washington bureaucrats’ by showing the satellites ability to police themselves without FCC involvement. Whatever the reason, it didn’t sit well with everyone.

In their latest efforts, the Opie and Anthony fans may have dealt another embarrassing blow to XM’s ego with their latest public stunt. The fans have organized and raised enough money in their plight to purchase two roaming billboards that will circle the XM headquarters and downtown metropolitan Washington D.C. area. The billboards calls into question XM’s integrity and advertising practices that state the satellite company offers content “beyond AM, beyond FM”. Ironically, the seemingly imperviously duo are still broadcasted Monday through Friday on terrestrial, FCC regulated, AM FM radio.

It may be to long winded...My spelling and punctuation need to be checked, but this may give us something extra to work off of.

please don't put out another press release without someone proofreading it first.

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
New thread! Thanks vcdburn.

This will definatly make things easier to follow!

My only comments are this:

We need to make this sound as professional and as legit as possible. I don't think that words like "pest(s)" and "war" should be included. You all know the way that media is. It's gonna need some real (cock)meat. It's gonna have to embarrass and exploit someone or some company if we want the media to pickup and fly with it. I know we all want this for O&A, but I think over the years, the media only wants to knock them. This needs to be more of an "attack on free speech" issue with O&A clearly mentioned as the fuel, not the other way around.

It needs to be made clear XM doesn't respect the rights of American's, especially when it's a "pay to hear the filth" service. If we can't have our free speech listening to O&A on XM, we will express it with this billboard!

Ok, I'm done.

vcdburn

Jimmy's shaved sack
I don't think "pest(s)" and "war" should be included.
I thought the same thing. I also thought about the freedom of speech thing, but I wanted to quote XM and stay exactly on fact, what they said.

These are just some ideas for the master writter to chew on. I'm not sure I know the difference between a news story and a news release.

Burger

Fuck ALL Forms of Censorship
We need to include newsworthy items. I agree that we should avoid "war" and "pests."

I think the two biggest points that need to be made to get media attention:

Questionable business practices (refusing to cancel subs is equal to cooking the books, constantly being hung up on when trying to cancel, etc.)
Unwillingness to divulge lost sub numbers due to O&A suspension (yes, this is their right, but the media might find it interesting to try and find out)

TJLamb0518

Jumping That Shark....
Would "apologizing is for queers" be wrong to add?

Fr. Dougal

Also remember to keep it short. Believe me when I tell you assignment desk editors plow through dozens of faxed pressers every day, and will skip the ones that look long and boring.

Remember, mass media is geared to the lowest common demoninator.
In other words, KISS... Keep It Simple, Stupid.

vcdburn

Jimmy's shaved sack
Also remember to keep it short. Believe me when I tell you assignment desk editors plow through dozens of faxed pressers every day, and will skip the ones that look long and boring.

Remember, mass media is geared to the lowest common demoninator.
In other words, KISS... Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Thats where it gets hairy. What are we trying to say? Really just the fans arn't letting XM off easy with their latest decision to suspend the show by buying advertising space on billboards.

Maybe this...

Headline
Washington D.C., June 4 2007— On May 15th when XM satellite radio announced the suspension of shock jocks Opie and Anthony, they may not have counted on the full reaction of the shows paying customers.

In their latest efforts, the Opie and Anthony fans may have dealt another embarrassing blow to XM’s ego with their latest public stunt. The fans have organized and raised enough money in their plight to purchase two roaming billboards that will circle the XM headquarters and downtown metropolitan Washington D.C. area. The billboards calls into question XM’s integrity and advertising practices that state the satellite company offers content “beyond AM, beyond FM”. Ironically, the seemingly imperviously duo are still broadcasted Monday through Friday on terrestrial, FCC regulated, AM FM radio.

niklbag

Hooked on chronic worked for me!!!!!
You should include ALL 6 of the sponsers that pulled adds

user name

Al Sharpton is a Sparkling Nagle
The only thing I would add is the HQ for XM is a shit neighborhood and noone in that area can affors XM.
So really the only people reading this billboard are the people who don't care. Money could be better spent roaming around MidTown.

Just my two cents.

The Most important part of the press release is the first line. It needs to sum up the release all in itself. Something like:

XM satellite radio is reeling from the unprecedented response dealt by the fans of the Opie and Anthony show, also known as "The Pests". The duo was suspended last month in response to statements made during a studio visit from a homeless man known as Homeless Charlie.

XM executives could hardly have expected the fierce loyalty the pests show toward the radio duo. The fans have reacted to the suspension by canceling subscriptions in the thousands, smashing their satellite radio receivers, inundating the XM Management with phone calls and e-mail complaints, protesting outside the offices of XM in Washington D.C. and New York City, protesting the annual stockholder's meeting, and their latest salvo: a pair of billboard-laden trucks circling the headquarters of XM in Washington D.C.

Asserting that the suspension was unfair and excessive the pests are demanding the suspension be repealed and Opie and Anthony be allowed to broadcast without the influence and interference of management.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Just my $0.02

What should the focus of the release be? Support of the bbboys, or XM's committing fraud by advertising uncensored content and failing to deliver?

BadGuy

The executioner of Mouseschwitz!
We need to include newsworthy items. I agree that we should avoid "war" and "pests."

I think the two biggest points that need to be made to get media attention:

Questionable business practices (refusing to cancel subs is equal to cooking the books, constantly being hung up on when trying to cancel, etc.)
Unwillingness to divulge lost sub numbers due to O&A suspension (yes, this is their right, but the media might find it interesting to try and find out)
Huh? What? I didn't pay any attention - that "Ron Paul for President" shit distracted me - are you fucking serious? Rudy is going to kick his ass like he did in the debate.

hey everyone, can someone create a new thread "why isnt jimmy featured in any way in the new intro??? theres no mention of him, we dont even hear him at all, the only time we hear him is when he laughed at the jfk salsa joke...please...i wanna know

lrrhoade

Pest Reservist - Waiting to be called up.
Good Ideas

The Most important part of the press release is the first line. It needs to sum up the release all in itself. Something like:

XM satellite radio is reeling from the unprecedented response dealt by the fans of the Opie and Anthony show, also known as "The Pests". The duo was suspended last month in response to statements made during a studio visit from a homeless man known as Homeless Charlie.

XM executives could hardly have expected the fierce loyalty the pests show toward the radio duo. The fans have reacted to the suspension by canceling subscriptions in the thousands, smashing their satellite radio receivers, inundating the XM Management with phone calls and e-mail complaints, protesting outside the offices of XM in Washington D.C. and New York City, protesting the annual stockholder's meeting, and their latest salvo: a pair of billboard-laden trucks circling the headquarters of XM in Washington D.C.

Asserting that the suspension was unfair and excessive the pests are demanding the suspension be repealed and Opie and Anthony be allowed to broadcast without the influence and interference of management.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Just my $0.02
I like this one a lot. I think our focus has changed a little since we started the new thread. The original focus was to point out that the fans overall response is unprecendented, that XM is a pay for content provider who offers uncensored radio and then suspended the bbbboys for comments made on the air, and the fans raised their own money put up the billboards. I think we probably get those same themes in this release, while keeping it short and newsworthy.

It's been said a few times already, but please, please, please, let's not use "pests" or "war" in the press release. It destroys any amount of credibility the release has and takes away any chance of it being taken seriously. This is a press release, not a wikipedia entry.

N

nysharks

Hoo Hoo I invented Billboards.

Tell em Fred

Burger

Fuck ALL Forms of Censorship
Huh? What? I didn't pay any attention - that "Ron Paul for President" shit distracted me - are you fucking serious? Rudy is going to kick his ass like he did in the debate.
I am not sure how Rudy or Ron apply to the billboard and this thread. PM me if you want to talk shit about politics. Let's focus here on fucking over XM, not which president-to-be is going to fuck up this country even further.

vcdburn

Jimmy's shaved sack
I know we have some talented writers, so please take some time and help us make a "GOOD" news release.

batgoat

the medication doesn't work....
Yes, it does need proof reading. However, for your efforts VCD I give you a hearty
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

This is exactly what we need to be doing.

SonnyForelli

The New Owner of the Original Wifflebat

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Just my $0.02
Now this is good, its important to get right into what this press release is about, the billboard trucks and how it was from the fans!!. I would like to see something a bit more refined and to the point. But again, this is right on target, and if this is the best we come up with then so be.

lrrhoade

Pest Reservist - Waiting to be called up.
What Are ya Trying to Say?

I know we have some talented writers, so please take some time and help us make a "GOOD" news release.
What VCD, you saying I suck? Sheesh, I thought we were closer than that.
I'm taking my ball an going home. Maaaaa!!

Seriously, I'm just glad I got the creative juices of the WB'ers going to get this dialogue started. Thanks for keeping this going. Hopefully, we get the response we're looking for from the press from the efforts of all.

/It's take the ball and go home guy

Fr. Dougal

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Just my $0.02
I can tell you right now... unless the AE is an O&A fan, as soon as he sees "the Pests"... he's gonna go "what the fuck is this shit?" and throw it in the trash.

Read some real press releases. That's what it should look like. Anything else looks unprofessional.

I'll be honest... a few months ago we got a faxed presser from a certain group we've all heard of now... and whoever wrote it, must have written it quickly, because the first paragraph said "People Against Citizenship." The AE still jokes about it.

That's what you need to avoid. It's gotta look LEGIT.