OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Ouya: android gaming console for less than $100 and free games

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by JonBenetRamsey, Jul 10, 2012.

1. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2012/07/ouya-to-launch-new-video-game-console/1

2. Yesterdays Hero

Yesterdays Hero She's better than you, Smirkalicious.

*points to multiple Emulators*

3. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter.

Neato, vaporware.

4. the Streif

the Streif ¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
    Donator

It will run the new Unobtanium engine.

5. ruckstande

The fact they used that word in a movie that made a Billion dollars sickens me.

6. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Its a dumb idea and it shouldnt happen. I saw a story on IGN about the next Xbox being $99 and tied into cable subscription. Its just a dumb idea.

7. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

It was a symbolic name! Like Evil McBadGuy

8. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

my thoughts exactly

9. ruckstande

10. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

11. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

Will it play Metroid?

12. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

Some form of open source platform would be great, but it will never work. A locked down platform is the best way to thwart piracy.

13. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

They needed less than $1-million...they raised 3.5-million as of yesterday.

There is a huge demand for this among independent developers and the low price point will make this extremely attractive to consumers. Look at how successful Xbox Live Arcade has been. Small time developers would have a chance to make games and get a wide release without having to deal with the nonsense from Sony and MS. Not to mention all the house wives who will jump at the chance to play Farmville in the living room. And since there are so many games are already available on the Android platform they will not have to worry about software catching up.

I really think people are underestimating this.

14. lajikal

lajikal Registered User

Ummm.. Like the EVO2? Less a couple bucks? I really don't know, please don't nerd attack.

15. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

Okay, that makes more sense. Hardwarewise it doesn't sound all that impressive. It sounds like an open sourced version of the Wii. It even has the same sort of cutesy name.

16. transit grinder

transit grinder Baglin' with the Sex

Can't wait for it to fill up with clones of the same game, and vibrating "sex simulators."

17. Sunsetspawn

Sunsetspawn Registered User

I hope this is real and that it courts indie developers that want to makes games that AREN'T "streamlined" for a "broader audience." Balder's Gate, KOTOR, Morrowind, Gothic 2, Deus Ex, Battlefront: remember how good these were?

I'm not that delusional though, if it is real I'm afraid it'll just be about angry birds on the TV.

18. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

A tech Journalist at Penny Arcade is highly skeptical. He points out some of the misleading things about their claims. For one thing, they don't have a single working game nor has any game developer officially signed on to the platform. Mojang has not signed on like they claim.
    He also points out that the Indy Developers they are marketing for are not strapped for development kits. All you need is a 4 year old PC.

Points out other stuff in the article.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-reality-of-the-ouya-console-doesnt-match-the-hype-why-you-should-be-ske

19. transit grinder

I can't believe they raised over 4 million fucking dollars after reading that. I'm sure there are fine products/things that have been funded by kickstarter in the past/currently, but the website seems to be the go to place for "idea men" to go looking for quick money and hopefully someone to actually execute their idea. "We've studied gaming and tech nerds for a few weeks and have come up with this specific project to play on all of their desires. We'll rake in the cash!"

I'm hoping there's some sort of system in place where they don't get that money if they don't show what they've promised?

The dude that claimed to be making THE BEST MMO OF ALL TIME is another example of "I've got the idea now someone else do the work!!" I hope everyone that invested in that MMO piece of shit got their level 1 mount that would go 10% faster than...something. He pretty much asked every person that donated what they would like in an MMO and said "well, what do you know, mine is going to have that! now here are three character models (aka sketches) that you will be able to choose from!"

20. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

It's actually a real oldschool engineering term but the fact that no one said "Hey James, that sounds awfully stupid" is mind boggling.

21. transit grinder

Do people that have seen Avatar agree with the great Mr. Hughes' assessment that it's pointless to watch the movie if you don't see it in IMAX 3D Smell-o-vision?

22. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Since the only good thing about Avatar was the 3D, I'd say yes.

23. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

You guys are too cynical. I never saw Avatar in 3D. I liked it. I know it's a rehashed story but it was fun to watch. Sorry. Lighten up.

24. transit grinder

Does anyone have a 3D TV I can come sit in front of for the duration of the movie? PM me if so.

Thread back on the rails.

I don't hate the idea, I'm just extremely skeptical towards what these people will actually accomplish, even given those funds.

25. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I was offended by it as a science fiction fan more than anything. It is horribly hack and lacks any kind of imagination in the alien world, society, etc.