Overheat Problem

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Yup, another problem from my 1994 Chevy S10. (The S stands for Shit).

Even if I am only driving a few minutes, it over heats horribly, getting up into the 250's on my heat gauge. I just tried filling the coolant and putting some stop leak in the radiator, and it is still doing this. When I shut the car off, steam is coming from the radiator near where the hose goes in. When I poured water on it to cool it down some more, I noticed that it would steam the most coming from near the bottom of the engine under the alternator. Could this be the water pump? And how much am I looking at to replace it? I saw I can get the part for around $30, but I have no idea how much the labour will be. Pictures to come later when I can if it will help.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
You need one of these. Just stick it where it gets hot and run the wire to your battery.

Replace the thermostat, it's cheap and easy. If that doesn't fix it, you have bigger problems but you've at least eliminated a common possibility. Make sure you don't put it in backwards.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Replace the thermostat first, as suggested above. Get a 180-degree if available instead of 195-degree.

Make sure you burp all the air out after you do it.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
I'm going to call some friends who are mechanics first on Monday, but one of them had previously said that one other problem the truck has could be the water pump anyhow.

Replace the thermostat first, as suggested above. Get a 180-degree if available instead of 195-degree.

Make sure you burp all the air out after you do it.
Burp all the air out? Is that kinda like bleeding the brakes?

Stig

Making America So Great You Won't Believe It.
Keep the radiator cap, replace everything from there back.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Keep the radiator cap, replace everything from there back.
Might as well go ahead and replace the radiator cap while your doing all that.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
I'm going to call some friends who are mechanics first on Monday, but one of them had previously said that one other problem the truck has could be the water pump anyhow.
The pump, leaky intake gaskets, a bad hose.... let a mechanic look at it.
And stop pouring water on it to cool it down. Cold water and a hot engine
do not mix well. I've seen engines ruined by doing that.

Why did you put stop leak in it? Was it leaking? What was the coolant level when it was overheating?

Stig

Making America So Great You Won't Believe It.
The pump, leaky intake gaskets, a bad hose.... let a mechanic look at it.
And stop pouring water on it to cool it down. Cold water and a hot engine
do not mix well. I've seen engines ruined by doing that.
You'll crack the engine block. Again.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Why did you put stop leak in it? Was it leaking? What was the coolant level when it was overheating?
The level had been low, as it had been a couple of times prior. I poured in the stop leak, filled up the coolant, let it idle for 15 minutes, then drove it for 5. It over heated again about 2 minutes into the trip.

Head Gasket

just scrap it
I've had head gasket problems, and this is nothing like them. That was my first worry honestly.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
1st, never use stop leak. It clogs radiators and heater cores and make the problem
worse. I'd never use it unless you're stuck and have a long drive with no other way out.

2nd, if it's low you have a leak. Pressure test it and find out where the fluid's going.
Antifreeze doesn't evaporate. It has to be going somewhere.

1) Make sure your clamps are fastened properly and hoses are not crisped and causing a leak.

2) Check the thermostat.

You're loosing coolant somewhere.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
$467.88 later it was a cracked radiator.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
$467.88 later it was a cracked radiator.
No surprise there. Most radiators these days have an aluminum core and
plastic tanks on the ends. The tanks get brittle with age and crack.

I wouldn't lie to ya. ;)
BB1 said:
if it's low you have a leak. Pressure test it and find out where the fluid's going.
Antifreeze doesn't evaporate. It has to be going somewhere.