PAC Press Release Regarding O&A Return to XM Tomorrow, June 15

While we continue to be disappointed by the actions taken by XM Satellite Radio in the last thirty days, specifically the public reprimand and suspension of the Opie and Anthony show as a reaction to comments aired on May 9th, People Against Censorship applauds XM for returning the Opie and Anthony Show to their regular programming schedule this Friday. It seems all too often that the suspension of broadcasters serves as a prelude to their firing, and we are relieved to see that XM has not followed the recent trend of dismissing talent when a show draws criticism from special interest groups. We were also pleased to see that earlier this week XM spokesman Chance Patterson released a statement noting that XM “will not be censoring Opie and Anthony” when the show returns this Friday.

We are optimistic about XM's promise that they will not be censoring the Opie and Anthony show. However, many of our members have expressed concern about the company’s credibility, and a sizable number of our members have made it clear that they will not re-subscribe to XM. While we certainly respect that decision, we also believe XM’s statement that the show will be “uncensored” is a significant testament to free expression, and indicates that they have heard, and are addressing our concerns.

Accordingly, we are advising our over 13,000 members to re-subscribe to XM based on the statement that the Opie and Anthony will not be censored, and XM’s offer to waive re-activation fees. However, we will be monitoring the situation, and if it appears that XM’s promise is disingenuous, we will react immediately.

We sincerely hope that XM will use this opportunity to become an industry leader in the arena of unrestricted creative expression, and we hope that in the future, XM will recognize the importance of supporting their talent more strenuously.

Burger

Fuck ALL Forms of Censorship
I am shocked you are taking XM's word for it. Let's summarize:

1) Refused to cancel many, many people's subs
2) Called O&A comments "deplorable"
3) Continue to promote O&A as "uncensored," even during their suspension

And all of a sudden you believe XM? I am really, really disappointed that you did not implement a "wait and see" policy.

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
and a sizable number of our members have made it clear that they will not re-subscribe to XM
i wouldn't forfeit information like that to XM. they may want to have a sit down talk with you in the near future about calming us down. dont give them anything to use. keep it up in the air. other then that sounds great!

Standing ovation for HTG!!! Excellent.

Here come the haters.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Uncensored O&A means they can talk about what led up to the suspension and the suspension itself. If they can't discuss that then they are censored to me.

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.

And all of a sudden you believe XM? I am really, really disappointed that you did not implement a "wait and see" policy.

that statement wasnt taking XMs word. it was throwing their words in their face. hoping to force them into keeping them

MJ001

Very well written Deb. It's been said before, but i'll say it again....You truly are a good egg. Thanks!

SOCK TITS

"Its SIRIUS XM The XM Is Silent"
So O and A will be able to say ANYTHING regarding this suspension? Like why it happened, who they're pissed at, ETC ETC?

Wally1985

Lil' Jimmy Makes Me LOL
i hope they dont skate around it or be forced too.

I don't trust them...but a statement that they will not censor is about as good as you can expect. And if they do not keep that promise, its very easy to re-cancel.

Burger

Fuck ALL Forms of Censorship
I don't trust them...but a statement that they will not censor is about as good as you can expect. And if they do not keep that promise, its very easy to re-cancel.
Maybe I'm just more mean-spirited and vindictive that you are, but I want to punish XM since they punished me over the last 30 days. That is why they are not getting my account counted as a sub until July 1, at the earliest.

I'm sorry, HTG, I can't follow you to that place.

There needs to be some type of admission of wrongdoing and at least a token attempt at amends. I need to know that XM learned from their mistake - otherwise we're rewarding their actions.

Hope you understand. I still respect PAC, and hope to marry you someday.

But wait i thought mod "Zagman" (sp) said XM were fired from XM. im confused ? so there not fired?

I do understand, I truly do. Thats why the paragraph about fully respecting the decisions of those who are not resubscribing. This decision was not made easily, believe me.

Digital_Trauma

"man of leisure". . . aaaand repeat
One suggestion: Make sure to include the PAC website link in your press release :action-sm

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
here's to hoping that PeopleAgainstCensorship.org gets up and running soon :)
...at least a token attempt at amends...
that's what waiving the re-activation fee & free 3 months are for

As mentioned in the other thread, I have been told we have every reason to believe our website problems will be resolved on June 16, and then only need to transfer the content onto the site. We have been taking this time to improve our site, and add new content. Believe me, we are WELL aware of the damage of the site being down for so long, and we are incredibly frustrated.

We are looking for experienced web designers to build a strong team that will ensure this does not happen again. Please PM angletri if you are interested in being a part of that team.

Capt'n Obvious

Thank You Mask Man
I think that I am reading between the lines here. XM suspended O&A in an effort to prove that they can control their talent and look good to the government, thus not impeding the merger. They may have had full intention of firing the boys, but I think that the mass cancelations may have sent a message. Or at lest I like to believe that. As much as I hate XM, (although I am a shareholder) I miss Ron and Fez and alot of the music channels. I just reconnected my 3 subs and I cant wait to hear both R&F & O&A tomorrow!
On a side note, I had to mention to the silly indian that I wasn't to be charged for reactivation and I had to explain my email from XM.

vcdburn

Jimmy's shaved sack
I dont think it would be wrong to say "most of our members still question how someone can get suspended for talking about something when it's "un-censored radio"

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
PAC seems to be right in line with my own personal feelings on the situation. I am not however re-activating Claire's radio. She's on her own.