Paltalk for Macintosh… PLEASE!!!

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Paltalk;
If you're reading this board; make a f--ckin' version for MACINTOSH… Please!!!
Get to it!

Thanks!

(Yeah, I know, the Mac Guy is a douche).

NotSoFast

Apr 23, 2006
Thibodaux, LA USA
Oh nooooo....you Mac guys always say your Macs can do anything our PC's can do. Go fuck yourself mister anti-establishment. ;)

zagman76

Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
Paltalk is built on the .NET framework (Microsoft's proprietary programming language), which means mo mac version, without a complete re-write from scratch.

Somehow, I don't see Paltalk switching everything they've worked on for 10% of the market share anytime soon.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
I would just like to be able to run it without having to go into Parallels first. It's a pain in the ass, and we all know how great Paltalk is.

And you'd think Paltalk would re-write it to get away from Microsoft's proprietary framework. I'm sure that isn't cheap or without strings from MS. I'm just guessing about that part.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
Jan 15, 2007
Macs can't run Paltalk?

I can't think of a better reason to own one. Lucky bastards.

I had it for a month to see what all the hub-bub was about. You're not missing anything. Show members reading the newspaper, and e-celebrities monitoring your every word.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Macs can't run Paltalk?

I can't think of a better reason to own one. Lucky bastards.

I had it for a month to see what all the hub-bub was about. You're not missing anything. Show members reading the newspaper, and e-celebrities monitoring your every word.
You were in the wrong rooms then. It can be cool if you're on with the right bunch of people. The show rooms just end up being 400 guys begging 3 girls to WOW, which can be annoying. But if you're in one of the good rooms its just a bunch of people who like to shoot the shit and goof on each other.

HumpX

Character Assassin
Oct 30, 2004
Rhode Island
They can't even get it to run properly on Vista, never mind a completely different OS.

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
I think your best option would be to buy this:

CrossOver: Mac

Our flagship Windows-to-Macintosh compatibility tool. Intended for Intel Mac OS X machines, CrossOver Mac will allow Mac users to run their favorite Windows applications and games seamlessly on their Mac. Windows files can be opened directly within your file browser, or from email attachments. No rebooting, no switching to a virtual machine, and no Windows Operating System license required; CrossOver is a complete replacement for your Windows OS as far as your Windows software is concerned.
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
They can't even get it to run properly on Vista, never mind a completely different OS.
Ran alright on Vista for me. I never had a single problem with Vista other than it being unreasonably slow. But Paltalk wasn't any worse than anything else.

HumpX

Character Assassin
Oct 30, 2004
Rhode Island
I'm not suggesting it won't run at all, it just runs like shit. For instance, if I run it for an hour and then attempt to open a second room window it will start chugging horribly requiring a re-boot. It shows all the symptoms of a memory leak. Keep in mind I'm running 4 gigs of PC/6400 RAM, using an Intel Duo Core 2 6750e along with a GeForce 8800GTS 640mb, so system power isn't an issue.

From what I've been told it is essentially the same code they've been using since 97'. It would explain a lot of it were true.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I'm not suggesting it won't run at all, it just runs like shit. For instance, if I run it for an hour and then attempt to open a second room window it will start chugging horribly requiring a re-boot. It shows all the symptoms of a memory leak. Keep in mind I'm running 4 gigs of PC/6400 RAM, using an Intel Duo Core 2 6750e along with a GeForce 8800GTS 640mb, so system power isn't an issue.

From what I've been told it is essentially the same code they've been using since 97'. It would explain a lot of it were true.
Paltalk is horribly coded, I don't think anyone would dispute that. But Paltalk can't swtich now, otherwise it would be tough to make the new version backwardly compatible.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Did you get Vista to run thru Parallels? I haven't tried that yet…