Paltalk on a Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
If you are using Paltalk on a Mac, please explain.

You probably will have to use a windows emulator which will slow down your comp.

ShesTooOld

Thats the only way I have heard of yet, I guess I'll just have to get my windows laptop out and get a router. Wow a whole computer just for paltalk.... I need a life.

u need an emulator...i dont have a mac so im not sure

Mike

Yopu can use Virtual PC, but from what I have heard it slow as shit

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
I got this PMed to me:
Do not bother... I'm on a Quad with a 8gb of ram and pt running in virtualpc BLOWS. You can watch other peoples video but you can't send your own... and sound echos whenever someone talks. Oh, and you can't talk at all since it doesn't recognize the mac's mic input.

It's really not worth it. If you want to go on pt that bad, buy a shitty old PC and use that.

I wish those fuckers would just write a mac client... or actually spend money on developers who know what they're doing. they really just need to scrap their existing code and start from scratch. fucking tools.

A

azbigfella

What's worse about Paltalk and Macs is that...

... they don't say anything about being exclusive to PC's until you've downloaded the software and IT DOESN'T WORK. So, you troubleshoot and search for answers and find a small, windows-only system requirement page buried in their FAQ. There was NOTHING up front about it at all -- not before I entered all my sign-up info and not before I entered my CC info (which I hate to do anytime, but did for Paltalk).

I sent messages through their web-based system (3) and an email (1) and received no replies at all -- why should they, they aren't making any money off me (although I have to make sure I don't get billed even though I jumped through even more hoops to cancel as you never know if that takes).

I understand that Macs can be limited when products aren't developed for them, but I think it's rude to invite people to subscribe and give their info, and not let them know up front they have been excluded. All they have to do is put a small message on their home page. Assholes.

Sorry about the rant (but thanks for reading) -- AZB

GoatAss

"Girls Like a Man With a Sharp Hairdo"
i agree. they should atleast say something on their front page. I use a mac as well.

YaHearIHearMe

Yeah....Wait What?
Im with you with this listening about all the fun and sitting behind my mac

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
When you are using a Mac, you should know that a lot of programs don't run on it. 90 percent of programers program for windows. That's just the way it is. Usually they never say if it works on a mac unless it will.

A

azbigfella

I've used macs for 15 years...

... and they do make up a small share of the market. But it's very infrequent that you find application developers that are narrow-minded enough to ignore the mac market or the cutting edge mac technology. In fact, before running into the Paltalk idiots, I can't remember a serious application or service that I needed that I could not get a mac version. That's a level of ignorance I find hard to imagine in business nowadays, but in the case of Paltalk, I guess it's not that much of a stretch.

Actually, with all the negatives I've heard about Paltalk, I'm glad I never shelled out the money for an account.
AZB

Paltalk has been out for around 6 years - I don't think there will be a Mac version. Sorry.

A

azbigfella

indymike said:
Paltalk has been out for around 6 years - I don't think there will be a Mac version. Sorry.
Indy --
Well, that's their decision and I'm fine with that, especially after hearing about some of the problems people are having with PalTalk... But the thing that really teed me off is the fact they don't say up front that they are pc-only and you can't find that out until you've given them all your cc info for the "free" trial. It's a hassle and completely unnecessary, and they didn't even respond when I repeatedly attempted to contact them about it -- just showing what complete assholes they are. Sure, mac users are a minority, maybe 10%, but that's 1 in 10 that could go through all the trouble to sign up and not be able to use it -- it's just fucking bullshit that they make everything else mac-friendly but their app, and then they keep that a secret. That's just inexcusable. You have to be pretty fucking stupid to be so cavalier that you don't care if you alienate 10% of your potential customers, when all you have to do is tell them up front it's pc-only. MSN, for instance, is one (the only one I could find) prominent internet service that's pc-only, and they tell you that on the FIRST screen you go to to get it.

One other reason why I'm SO PISSED at PalTalk? The fucking assholes still billed my credit card even though I cancelled exactly per the agreement in their "free trial" -- when I tried to contact them, they don't respond to the emails, and so then I had to get my cc company to charge it back (which they did), but obviously it's still a total pain in my ass. This isn't a pc vs mac issue, PalTalk is wrong on many levels no matter what OS you use.

The people at PalTalk are not just fumbling idiots when it comes to business, they are fucking low-life, unprofessional, ignorant assholes.
AZB

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
Macs suck

Well, unless you like to edit pictures video and sound.

For everything else,

Garbage.

SteveSteele

1 dog's goin this way..1 dog's goin that way...
If anyone paid attention to the "Boot Camp" press release by Apple. Those of you with an Intel equipped Mac can now boot Windows with a patch directly from Apple (so this is legit and without the slowdown other PC emulators have).

D

DrSmith

Dear sweet hairless Mac

Macs are awesome, and so are my linux PCs. And paltalk doesn't work on either one.

They are bubble headed boobies!

W

Windowlicker451

azbigfella said:
The people at PalTalk are not just fumbling idiots when it comes to business, they are fucking low-life, unprofessional, ignorant assholes.
AZB
Totally agree. I use a Mac Book Pro, which already has an iSight camera in it, and I want Paltalk, but the fuckers look like they're never going to get around to making a version for us Mac users.

They stink.

JAndrea95

Windowlicker451 said:
Totally agree. I use a Mac Book Pro, which already has an iSight camera in it, and I want Paltalk, but the fuckers look like they're never going to get around to making a version for us Mac users.

They stink.
I too have a macbook pro and will actually be installing Bootcamp today. The programmers at paltalk really do blow. As much as I love paltalk their technology is about 5 years behind.

ShooterMcGavin said:
Macs suck

Well, unless you like to edit pictures video and sound.

For everything else,

Garbage.
hypocrite, don't you have a MAC?

boozer03

Im running paltalk on my mac w/ parallels. I have xp running in the background while having paltalk on my mac desktop.
I dont run into any problems w/ slowdown.

A

alzaim55

hi

If you are using Paltalk on a Mac, please explain.

You probably will have to use a windows emulator which will slow down your comp.
;)

Works pretty well under VMWare in Unity mode. Even get a little icon in my dock for it. :D

Of course, I really don't use Paltalk but its nice to know I can if I need to.

jimcfan

There is Paltalk for Mac and Linux now but it's web based and still in Beta. I tried using Paltalk on my Vista 64 bit machine and no good either. It sorta works for a little while then drags to a dead halt. Not just paltalk but the whole system. I also noticed that my spyware scanner picks up a few files from paltalk and removes them so to hell with it. I aint payin.

Status
Not open for further replies.