Paramount drops Blu-ray support

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Well, it looks like Dreamworks and Paramount (both owned by Viacom) are dropping all future Blu-ray titles. Looks like the war will drag on for a bit longer till Microsoft decides to end it.

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
Yep! And guess what big summer movie will be released on HD only????

TRANSFORMERS!!!!!

Here's the story....
Paramount and DreamWorks Side with HD DVD
Source: Paramount Pictures; DreamWorks Animation August 20, 2007

Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG each announced today that they will exclusively support the next-generation HD DVD format on a worldwide basis. The exclusive HD DVD commitment will include all movies distributed by Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films, as well as movies from DreamWorks Animation, which are distributed exclusively by Paramount Home Entertainment.

The companies each said that the decision to distribute exclusively in the HD DVD format resulted from an extensive evaluation of current market offerings, which confirmed the clear benefits of HD DVD, particularly its market-ready technology and lower manufacturing costs. Paramount Home Entertainment will launch its exclusive HD DVD program with the release of the blockbuster comedy hit Blades of Glory on August 28th and follow with two of the biggest grossing movies of the year Transformers and Shrek the Third. These three titles alone represent more than $1.5 billion in box office ticket sales worldwide.

"The combination of Paramount and DreamWorks Animation brings a critical mass of current box office hits to consumers with a line-up of live action and animated films that are perfect for HD DVD," stated Brad Grey, Chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures, which is currently the leading studio in domestic box office. "Part of our vision is to aggressively extend our movies beyond the theater, and deliver the quality and features that appeal to our audience. I believe HD DVD is not only the affordable high quality choice for consumers, but also the smart choice for Paramount."

"We decided to release 'Shrek the Third' and other DreamWorks Animation titles exclusively on HD DVD because we believe it is the best format to bring high quality home entertainment to a key segment of our audience -- families," stated DreamWorks Animation CEO, Jeffrey Katzenberg. "We believe the combination of this year's low-priced HD DVD players and the commitment to release a significant number of hit titles in the fall makes HD DVD the best way to view movies at home."

The studios said, "With the rapid increase of HD TV screens in households, and audiences wanting to enjoy the total entertainment experience, HD DVD has emerged as the most affordable way for consumers to watch their movies in high definition. In addition to pristine quality, HD DVD also offers consumers the chance to personalize the movie-watching experience, to interact with their movies and even to connect with a community of other fans."

Paramount Home Entertainment will issue new releases day and date as well as catalog titles exclusively on HD DVD. Today's announcement does not include films directed by Steven Spielberg as his films are not exclusive to either format.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=36487

Totally sucks! Gotta watch it on my XBox 360 instead of my PS3. Woulda settled for just plain old DVD....

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Microsoft has nothing to do with it.

Ironically enough, my HD-DVD player is made by Sony.

Oh and Jerry, that's not my IP address :p

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Microsoft has nothing to do with it.
Microsoft "teamed" up with Paramount whereby Microsoft gives them $150,000,000 and Paramount takes it.

Paramount just cut off 2/3 of their HDM market with this announcement. It came totally from left field and their microsoft partnership is the only thing that explains it.

I'll still watch Transformers on my Ps3 though. It's not like it won't be on Usenet in full 1080p.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
Microsoft "teamed" up with Paramount whereby Microsoft gives them $150,000,000 and Paramount takes it.

Paramount just cut off 2/3 of their HDM market with this announcement. It came totally from left field and their microsoft partnership is the only thing that explains it.

I'll still watch Transformers on my Ps3 though. It's not like it won't be on Usenet in full 1080p.
For 150 million, this was a hell of a get for Microsoft if they really want in the HD war again. Now they have to figure out to compete with the prices of the discs and not charge an extra 5 to 10 dollars on the discs.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
For 150 million, this was a hell of a get for Microsoft if they really want in the HD war again. Now they have to figure out to compete with the prices of the discs and not charge an extra 5 to 10 dollars on the discs.
And get them to actually work more than 90% of the time.

MS will make the money back somewhere. More than likely it'll be from the usual trough of people who have low expectations and will accept overpaying for low value merchandise.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Yep! And guess what big summer movie will be released on HD only????

TRANSFORMERS!!!!!

Here's the story....

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=36487

Totally sucks! Gotta watch it on my XBox 360 instead of my PS3. Woulda settled for just plain old DVD....
Just to clarify, they're still releasing the film on plain DVD, but all their future HD releases will be on HD-DVD only, and not Blu-ray.

I still say that HD-DVD will win this, just because of the ham-n-eggers who don't know a lot of technical stuff. They've heard of DVD, and they've heard of HD, so HD-DVD makes perfect sense to them. Say Blu-ray to someone who's not technically savvy, and they'll think it's a brand of sunglasses.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Just to clarify, they're still releasing the film on plain DVD, but all their future HD releases will be on HD-DVD only, and not Blu-ray.

I still say that HD-DVD will win this, just because of the ham-n-eggers who don't know a lot of technical stuff. They've heard of DVD, and they've heard of HD, so HD-DVD makes perfect sense to them. Say Blu-ray to someone who's not technically savvy, and they'll think it's a brand of sunglasses.
It pisses me off that HD DVD (which is a bullshit too fucking long acronym) can cause HD to fall away from enthusiasts and become mediocre shit. Look at DVD. It's all becoming mediocre bullshit because businesses like MS that just want to pump out mediocre shit that doesn't work well.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I still say it's all about Downloads. In 4 years, nobody will give a shit about having a disk.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
It's just like HD audio. They once tried to push that shit, but downloads hit at the same time. Wana guess at which one won?

CrisK

Oct 4, 2004
Philadelphia

Paramount and DreamWorks Animation declined to comment. Microsoft, the most prominent technology company supporting HD DVDs, said it could not rule out payment but said it wrote no checks. “We provided no financial incentives to Paramount or DreamWorks whatsoever,” said Amir Majidimehr, the head of Microsoft’s consumer media technology group.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/technology/21disney.html?ref=business

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Maybe its the conspiracy theorist in me, but it seems like the companies are the ones dragging this out longer then it needs to. It's a pointless arguement. Just pick one and make it standard. Sony makes HD-DVD players so it's not a question of technology, it's a question of greed and it's beyond annoying.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Maybe its the conspiracy theorist in me, but it seems like the companies are the ones dragging this out longer then it needs to. It's a pointless arguement. Just pick one and make it standard. Sony makes HD-DVD players so it's not a question of technology, it's a question of greed and it's beyond annoying.
Sony doesn't make any HD DVD player. The only companies to have made them are RCA, MS, and Toshiba. So far only Toshiba makes stand-alone.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
Sony doesn't make any HD DVD player. The only companies to have made them are RCA, MS, and Toshiba. So far only Toshiba makes stand-alone.
I have 2 HD-DVD players. Both are Sony.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Sorry, but no you don't. You probably have a DVD player that does HD but you certainly don't have an HD DVD player made by Sony. The only HD DVD stand-alones EVER made were the HD-A1, HD-XA1, HDV-5000, HD-A2, HD-A2W(Walmart variant), HD-2D(Costco/Sam's Club Variant), HD-A20, and HD-XA2. Going in order of worst to current.

Which is another reason why the name sucks. It confuses people. There have been many HD DVD combos sold to people who have DVD players and they'll put the DVD side into their upconverting player and think they're watching HD.

Considering about 40% of people who watch regular TV and think they're watching HD, I consider this extremely likely.

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
Little bit of an update here. Because of Paramount's decision to make "Transformers" HD-DVD only, Micheal Bay has refused to direct "Transformers 2". He states on his "Shoot For The Edit" that he thinks it sucks that he wants people to see the movie in the best formats possible and they are denying that to Blue-Ray owners.
http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2299

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
Sorry, but no you don't. You probably have a DVD player that does HD but you certainly don't have an HD DVD player made by Sony. The only HD DVD stand-alones EVER made were the HD-A1, HD-XA1, HDV-5000, HD-A2, HD-A2W(Walmart variant), HD-2D(Costco/Sam's Club Variant), HD-A20, and HD-XA2. Going in order of worst to current.

Which is another reason why the name sucks. It confuses people. There have been many HD DVD combos sold to people who have DVD players and they'll put the DVD side into their upconverting player and think they're watching HD.

Considering about 40% of people who watch regular TV and think they're watching HD, I consider this extremely likely.
Well the top of my DVD player says "High Definition Multimedia Interface 720p/1080i," and I have it hooked up to my TV with an HDMI cable.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
My bet is still on BluRay. It's a better format and time will prove that.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Well the top of my DVD player says "High Definition Multimedia Interface 720p/1080i," and I have it hooked up to my TV with an HDMI cable.
Right...you have a DVD player that does HD by upscaling the DVD to 720p or 1080i. You do now have an HD DVD player. Just like there's the Divx format(dead) then there's the divx codec(alive and well). Lots of confusion.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
It seems the only reason to justify any of this bullshit is to make the PS3 more valuable. If people "bought in" to the Blu Ray/HD DVD hype this early an without having the patience to see which format is going to last isn't that your problem? Who gives a fuck which format is out there. Personally I thought DVD looked pretty good and did any of you really give a shit when Beta didn't make it even though it was superior to VHS?

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
It seems the only reason to justify any of this bullshit is to make the PS3 more valuable. If people "bought in" to the Blu Ray/HD DVD hype this early an without having the patience to see which format is going to last isn't that your problem? Who gives a fuck which format is out there. Personally I thought DVD looked pretty good and did any of you really give a shit when Beta didn't make it even though it was superior to VHS?
How else can a format make it if no one buys it?

MS can go shit in their hat. I don't want to deal with their low quality "rent-not-own" bullshit. I didn't support anti-trust action over their OS stuff but this is getting ridiculous.

HD DVD supporters are lame if they have to have stuff like this to get people to buy their crippled format.