Patio Ceiling Finishing

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Well shit....

At precisely 11:43am this morning, all the drywall on the ceiling of the patio came crashing down. Thank jeebus the dog wasn't in her bed...

Dry as a bone, no leaks - apparently years of rare humidity softened around the nails just enough to give way. And of course whomever did it used regular sheet rock, not green board (if that even makes a difference in this application).

So, debating whether to put sheet rock back up, or maybe some tongue and groove wood slats.

Any other ideas on what can be used? And what to avoid?

maz

TRueWDTer
What's Irish and stays out all night ?

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Well shit....

At precisely 11:43am this morning, all the drywall on the ceiling of the patio came crashing down. Thank jeebus the dog wasn't in her bed...

Dry as a bone, no leaks - apparently years of rare humidity softened around the nails just enough to give way. And of course whomever did it used regular sheet rock, not green board (if that even makes a difference in this application).

So, debating whether to put sheet rock back up, or maybe some tongue and groove wood slats.

Any other ideas on what can be used? And what to avoid?

Replace it with the same materials and install a camera.

ysr50

Donator
I'd clean up the wiring and strip the remaining drywall so it looks nice and then just paint it and leave it open. One of my neighbors had a patio roof like that and a possum made itself a nice apartment inside of it. Fucker used to drive my dogs crazy.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
How about vinyl bead board? The look of wood planking with minimal maintenance.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I'd clean up the wiring and strip the remaining drywall so it looks nice and then just paint it and leave it open. One of my neighbors had a patio roof like that and a possum made itself a nice apartment inside of it. Fucker used to drive my dogs crazy.
That's exactly what I would do.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Did the nails pull out of the wood or did the drywall tear out around the nails? Seems odd that the nails would fail.

Not a fan of the exposed rafters, I would put up a nice redwood or cedar tongue and groove board or beadboard paneling. Also use hot dip galvanized ring shank nails to hold it up.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Replace it with 1/2 inch steel plate. Secure it with duct tape.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Did the nails pull out of the wood or did the drywall tear out around the nails? Seems odd that the nails would fail.

Not a fan of the exposed rafters, I would put up a nice redwood or cedar tongue and groove board or beadboard paneling. Also use hot dip galvanized ring shank nails to hold it up.
Nails all held fine, the drywall just pulled past them. Lots of circular drywall lily pads still nailed to the joists...

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Should have added that we're kicking around moving in a few months. So not going to invest in a "pretty" (expensive) solution, but would prefer to do more than just paint it.

I like the aluminum soffit idea - but I'll have to dig a little - not real popular in AZ.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Yeah, the wiring is from the security cams. Pretty horrendous. May just paint it... That's top 2 of ideas so far.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Because the video is 60 minutes long. I can pull up the clip but it's embedded in the full video - so to dick around for hours in editing it down - well - I love you and all but you're not worth the effort...

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Because the video is 60 minutes long. I can pull up the clip but it's embedded in the full video - so to dick around for hours in editing it down - well - I love you and all but you're not worth the effort...

Post the entire video to Youtube then bookmark the timer at the incident.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
It'll do...

Put new birdstop blocks in, cleaned up the fan wiring, etc. Primed with Killz and a top coat of paint.

Still need to get trim paint but couldn't stand the patio being torn apart any longer so I'll touch up around stuff.

MurphCO

Donator
Looks fine

Where are you moving?