TV Patrick Stewart to star as Picard in new Star Trek series

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator
He hates kids, but just loves picking up shit...

Star Trek: Picard Poster Gives Patrick Stewart a Canine Companion

A new poster for Star Trek: Picard returns Patrick Stewart to his iconic role, and also gives him a canine companion. 25 years after signing off as the captain of the Starship Enterprise on Star Trek: The Next Generation, and 17 years after last playing the venerable captain on the big screen in Star Trek: Nemesis, Stewart is set to return as an older post-Starfleet Jean-Luc Picard in CBS All Access' new streaming series, which is scheduled to debut in late 2019.

Details are scarce as to what specifically will happen on the new series, but speculation is that the story will take place in a new century while also looking back on Picard's own past. Leading the new series will be showrunner Michael Chabon, an interesting choice for the role in that he is mostly known as a novelist and has limited experience as a genre writer with Hollywood beyond pitching some X-Men and Fantastic Four story ideas years ago. Perhaps there will be more revelations about what Chabon, Stewart and company have up their sleeves when Picard heads to San Diego Comic-Con as part of the Star Trek panel planned for Hall H.

As fans wait to find out more details about Star Trek: Picard, Stewart himself today offered a new tease in the form of a poster image posted on his Twitter account. See the full poster in the space below:

As with the previous Picard teaser, the new poster once again places the former Starfleet captain in his favorite setting, his old family vineyard, again emphasizing that at least at the beginning of the new series Picard has left his life as captain of the Enterprise far behind. The biggest new detail in the poster is the presence of Picard's dog, who has a clearly visible Starfleet insignia dangling from his collar. Stewart himself cuts an iconic figure as he stands above his sprawling vineyard, with futuristic buildings rising in the far distance. Interestingly, the rays of the sun appear to form the outline of a planet, a possible hint that Picard's past as a Starfleet captain still looms over him in the some way, or that returning to space is part of his future whether he likes it or not.

This very early glimpse of Star Trek: Picard gives little away, as one would expect given how far off the series' premiere still is. As much as the show's secrets are thus far being guarded, it's fairly obvious that the new series will see a reluctant Picard called back to action in some way. It remains to be seen what precise threat, possibly from Picard's own past, could be powerful enough to drag him away from his peaceful life of making wine and hanging out with his dog.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-picard-poster-patrick-stewart-dog/
The Dog is Q.
Or, Q is Picard, and Picard is the dog.

Sent from your Mom's box.

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator
I just happened across some who gives a shit channel last night and J.G. Hertzler was in an episode of Enterprise playing a Klingon lawyer. I gotta watch that series. It was a good episode.
He was on DS9 a lot. A regular recurring character. I liked Enterprise. It really picked up after the first season. They realized what they were doing wasn't appealing to the audience and ramped up the action a bit. However, looking back now, that first season is incredibly important of setting up so much back story and connecting the dots.

DS9 was always my favorite. The show was written so well. The station is basically the land of misfit toys. Everyone has real life issues. Real or imagined.

Sent from your Mom's box.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Garak is fine. Forgettable, IMO, like most of that cast. But not offensively annoying like Weyoun, Rom and Odo.
I question your presence in the homosapien branch of the evolutionary tree.

Rom, I'll give you though.

Radioguy

Garak was the best fucking character
Agreed, but on actor's performance, I juggle Robinson and Coombs. Robinson always drew your attention no matter his position in a scene, but Coombs could, or often had to, dial it back with Weyoun's obsequious nature in scenes with Salome Jens. When Weyoun was in charge though, or sparring with Dukat, Coombs fucking ruled. Every look or inflection was precise. Robinson was the same, and Marc Alaimo was nearly on par with them. Each knew how to steal scenes, and I have to wonder if other actors felt threatened by that considering how jealousy tainted the atmosphere on shows like Voyager.

Really, Robinson, Coombs, and Alaimo were the most practiced and professional actors on the whole damned show. I wish there were more scenes between Garak and Weyoun though...other than that last one of course (which I'll award to Coombs).

DiggerNick

Donator
Why is this an ongoing concern for anyone? STAR TREK is fucking gay.

Patrick Stewart found his retirement fund. Give it one season and bathe in nerd tears.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Agreed, but on actor's performance, I juggle Robinson and Coombs. Robinson always drew your attention no matter his position in a scene, but Coombs could, or often had to, dial it back with Weyoun's obsequious nature in scenes with Salome Jens. When Weyoun was in charge though, or sparring with Dukat, Coombs fucking ruled. Every look or inflection was precise. Robinson was the same, and Marc Alaimo was nearly on par with them. Each knew how to steal scenes, and I have to wonder if other actors felt threatened by that considering how jealousy tainted the atmosphere on shows like Voyager.

Really, Robinson, Coombs, and Alaimo were the most practiced and professional actors on the whole damned show. I wish there were more scenes between Garak and Weyoun though...other than that last one of course (which I'll award to Coombs).
You know who was really a poor actor? The guy who played Sisko. He was fine when calm, but when he got loud/angry? Ooof.

Radioguy

You know who was really a poor actor? The guy who played Sisko. He was fine when calm, but when he got loud/angry? Ooof.
Oh, go watch him trying to laugh on command. He simply cannot spontaneously laugh.

Brooks really didn't have range. He did play it as all or nothing with little nuance in-between. That Django Unchained subtext with Stewart in the premiere scene sets expectations. He initially played the character as if he had something more to prove beyond just making Captain despite race supposedly not playing a factor in anything for centuries. He got a little better over time, but not a lot. I'll say this, as crap as the actor playing Jake was, you could tell Brooks put more into the parenting scenes with him. He wanted to show a positive father son relationship and worked harder on those emotional scenes than even ones with Penny Johnson. I found his most enjoyable performance was as Dr. Noah in the Bashir 007 episode. He was perfect as a dead-eyed two-dimensional villain...but again, that laugh.

Really, the most overrated actor on the show was probably Rene Auberjonois. A role in M*A*S*H, BFA, and years in theater doesn't necessarily give you range. Odo was a very two dimensional character to begin with, and when they began to broaden him to the point of almost the leading role, Auberjonois didn't always rise to the challenge. There's absolutely no chemistry between him and Nana Visitor as Kira, and I think she really tried. I found it ironic that Armin Shimerman could usually out-act him. While I more hate the Quark episodes on the whole, the amount of screentime Shimerman had meant he could get to flex his muscles showing Quark's serious and romantic sides and pulled that off better than Auberjonois as Odo.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Oh, go watch him trying to laugh on command. He simply cannot spontaneously laugh.

Brooks really didn't have range. He did play it as all or nothing with little nuance in-between. That Django Unchained subtext with Stewart in the premiere scene sets expectations. He initially played the character as if he had something more to prove beyond just making Captain despite race supposedly not playing a factor in anything for centuries. He got a little better over time, but not a lot. I'll say this, as crap as the actor playing Jake was, you could tell Brooks put more into the parenting scenes with him. He wanted to show a positive father son relationship and worked harder on those emotional scenes than even ones with Penny Johnson. I found his most enjoyable performance was as Dr. Noah in the Bashir 007 episode. He was perfect as a dead-eyed two-dimensional villain...but again, that laugh.

Really, the most overrated actor on the show was probably Rene Auberjonois. A role in M*A*S*H, BFA, and years in theater doesn't necessarily give you range. Odo was a very two dimensional character to begin with, and when they began to broaden him to the point of almost the leading role, Auberjonois didn't always rise to the challenge. There's absolutely no chemistry between him and Nana Visitor as Kira, and I think she really tried. I found it ironic that Armin Shimerman could usually out-act him. While I more hate the Quark episodes on the whole, the amount of screentime Shimerman had meant he could get to flex his muscles showing Quark's serious and romantic sides and pulled that off better than Auberjonois as Odo.
Yes on all of this.

I also find Kira offputting. She was annoying and pissy. She was supposed to be some kind of bad ass and was about as threatening as a doily.

In this case, it wasn't the actress's fault, the character was just horrible. Chica was acting her ass off trying to pull off that role.

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator

One of my favorite DS9 episodes is "The Visitor" That one made me cry. It's all about the love between a Father and Son.

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator
Sisko became a better character once Hawk shaved his head again. The show became much better when they introduced the Defiant and Worf joined the cast. Most of these Star Trek shows needed 2-3 season to really find themselves and hit their stride. That is unheard of today. I' not saying the first 2 seasons aren't good, they aren't entirely bad either. Writing becomes better, storylines and character's get fleshed out and the actor can really play with the role and grow it accordingly. Now if you get a season of 10 episodes you are lucky. Back than network TV is pumping out 25 or so episodes a season. Today if you don't hook an audience after 1-3 shows you are done.

Radioguy

Yes on all of this.

I also find Kira offputting. She was annoying and pissy. She was supposed to be some kind of bad ass and was about as threatening as a doily.

In this case, it wasn't the actress's fault, the character was just horrible. Chica was acting her ass off trying to pull off that role.
I actually liked her scenes with Alaimo. There were times, when I first watched the episode, that I thought she might just kick him in the balls.

It's a shame Sisko killed Dukat. Kira should've. These days, she would have.

Incidentally, this also works:

I also find Janeway offputting. She was annoying and pissy. She was supposed to be some kind of bad ass and was about as threatening as a doily.

Radioguy

Sisko became a better character once Hawk shaved his head again. The show became much better when they introduced the Defiant and Worf joined the cast. Most of these Star Trek shows needed 2-3 season to really find themselves and hit their stride. That is unheard of today. I' not saying the first 2 seasons aren't good, they aren't entirely bad either. Writing becomes better, storylines and character's get fleshed out and the actor can really play with the role and grow it accordingly. Now if you get a season of 10 episodes you are lucky. Back than network TV is pumping out 25 or so episodes a season. Today if you don't hook an audience after 1-3 shows you are done.
You give them a little more credit than they are due. The show would have been CANCELLED without the Defiant.

When the show's premise was announced lots of folks said right off the bat that it wouldn't work realistically with every story coming to them than the other way around. That wasn't just in comparison to TNG, it was just true. It was one step away from Sesame Street with the "who's gonna stop by this week?" formula. Everything was reactionary. A prime awful example was the one with Q. Ugh.

I'll give you that at least a second season is needed to gel. TNG started to by then. It was settled in by three, but you knew it would work by two.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
One of my favorite DS9 episodes is "The Visitor" That one made me cry. It's all about the love between a Father and Son.
That's the one I happened to catch that roped me back in. I had abandoned the show for being locked into a space station.

Radioguy

And they got rid of the replacement doctor. NO ONE liked her. Or Wesley ;)
Well, Wesley was an error on Roddenberry's part in thinking TNG had to bring in kids since TOS repeats had such a strong teen demo watching.

However, Pulaski was only added after McFadden left due to supposed "me too" issues with Maurice Hurley, one of the producers who had created the Borg. Diana Muldaur was then brought in by Roddenberry in a pinch due to her decent guest starring TOS roles. She arrived into a toxic atmosphere in which the cast were pissed off, and with a character written to be a bit of a shrew that would soften over time...being seasons, not just the one. She was completely fucked from the beginning.

Seriously, go back and watch that season with an eye to her performance and dialogue, and you can see how hamstrung she was by the writing, but still how well she commanded the scenes she was in. That strength was what typecast her in later years with shows like L.A. Law. Gates McFadden, a dancer by trade with fewer acting roles, isn't half the actor Muldaur was. She just had age on her side, and the fact that Wesley's presence was odd without her. That she had the door opened again after Hurley was booted was probably the biggest miracle in McFadden's career.