Paul Ryan Says President Obama's Policies 'Project Weakness'

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Paul Ryan Says President Obama's Policies 'Project Weakness'

By John Parkinson | ABC OTUS News – 4 hrs ago

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - At a rally Wednesday evening here in the Rocky Mountain State, Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan sharpened his criticism of President Obama's leadership as commander-in-chief, telling this military-friendly crowd that the president's policies "project weakness abroad."
Obama proposals to cut defense spending, Ryan said, would scale back missile defense and directly cost Colorado almost 18,000 jobs.
"Of all the things that Mitt Romney and I differ, disagree with President Obama - we need a strong military!" Ryan said. "We believe in peace through strength. We believe that when America's military is strong, America is safer.
"These defense cuts that he is promising, these devastating defense cuts that he is promising not only undermine our peace, not only undermine our security, they compromise jobs right here," he said. "These devastating defense cuts will cut things like our missile defense. And you know what? It probably should come as no surprise, because when Barack Obama was running for office he said that he didn't believe in missile defense."
This goes back to Bob Woodward's recent book, "The Price of Politics," which explained that the $1.2 trillion sequester element of the deal to increase the debt limit in August 2011 was the White House's idea. Although members of both parties ultimately voted for the Budget Control Act, Republicans blame the president for coming up with it.
House Republicans voted twice to replace the defense sequester, while the Democratic Senate has not.
Ryan then recounted a candid moment President Obama shared with former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev during an open-mic moment at a summit in South Korea last March.
"This is my last election. After my election, I have more flexibility," Obama told Medvedev at the time.
That plea for space didn't sit well with Ryan.
"He was talking to the Russian president when he thought no one was listening. He said he needed more flexibility for after the election," Ryan said as the crowd booed. "Mitt Romney and I want to be very clear with you. We value and respect your mission here and we believe in and support missile defense and missile defense is necessary to keep us safe and we will not allow that to go through."
"Please know that when we gut our military as the president is proposing - when we equivocate on speaking up for our values overseas, our freedom, freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom for women and women's rights and individual rights - when we do this, we project weakness abroad," he said. "And when we project weakness abroad, our enemies are more willing to test us, they are more brazen and our allies are less willing to trust us and that will not happen under a Mitt Romney administration because we believe in peace through strength."
http://news.yahoo.com/paul-ryan-say...ct-weakness-104239132--abc-news-politics.html

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
There is so much wasteful spending in the military you could cut the budget by half and still have enough to run everything.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
A vote for Ryan is a vote for 'MERICA

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
There is so much wasteful spending in the military you could cut the budget by half and still have enough to run everything.
Most of that wasteful spending is cause by red tape bureaucracy, and shitty budget practices. "Hey, we've been good this year and come in under budget... but if we don't spend it all, we won't get as much next year, either. Shit. Quick, run to Staples to buy printers and toner! You, hit the local gun store and order a couple thousand magazines. Also, someone get a couple pallets of AA batteries from the GSA..."

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
Most of that wasteful spending is cause by red tape bureaucracy, and shitty budget practices. "Hey, we've been good this year and come in under budget... but if we don't spend it all, we won't get as much next year, either. Shit. Quick, run to Staples to buy printers and toner! You, hit the local gun store and order a couple thousand magazines. Also, someone get a couple pallets of AA batteries from the GSA..."
Yeah I've seen this happen countless times. The CO at one of my commands spent a million (yes $1,000,000) to a local contractor to paint a shed to eat up the surplus budget.

On time another spent 10k relandscaping our building in the middle of nowhere on a base. Oh and it was a secure site so it probably cost another 10k to clear the landscapers.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Obama spends way too much and refuses to reduce the deficit. So let's make sure we keep pumping trillions of dollars into our already bloated military. Makes total sense!

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
Obama spends way too much and refuses to reduce the deficit. So let's make sure we keep pumping trillions of dollars into our already bloated military. Makes total sense!
Don't forget about the tax cuts.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
How about we reduce spending on things that the federal government doesn't have constitutional authority to spend money on first?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
How about we reduce spending on things that the federal government doesn't have constitutional authority to spend money on first?
What types of spending does Congress not have constitutional authority to perform?

And before you edit your response to say "Eliminating spending on items not specifically authorized in the Constitution", I'd be fine starting with cutting off the Air Force's budget and going from there ;)

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
What types of spending does Congress not have constitutional authority to perform?

And before you edit your response to say "Eliminating spending on items not specifically authorized in the Constitution", I'd be fine starting with cutting off the Air Force's budget and going from there ;)
The Air Force isn't considered national defense?

The more this campaign goes on, the more I think that Paul Ryan is too fucking smart for his own good.

Campaigns aren't won on sound policy discussion, or platitudes or vague statements that make you "read the story" beyond the headline. The best VP candidates were guys like Gore and Cheney who could give good quotes focused on the central campaign theme, and otherwise shut the fuck up.

Ask Cheney about the need for Guantanamo: "It's a tougher place for tougher customers." Could you imagine Ryan saying something like that?

This guys skills are awesome for Congress and the Senate however. He will have a long, distinguished career as a legislator and that's where his talents lie. The future of the Republican party in terms of Presidential hopes won't go to an egghead...they'll go to a telegenic guy like Marco Rubio.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Well, the Constitution does also provide for the general defense of the nation, and the Air Force originated in the Army, so I'm fine with it.
Since you're willing to be flexible with Constitutional interpretations, couldn't Universal Healthcare be considered a method of general defense of the Nation?

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
What if hospitals started renting out F-22's to get doctors to the ER faster?
I would consider it national defense if they started carpet bombing neighborhoods where the gimmie dats live and covering hospitals with machine-gun fire whenever uninsured illegals tried to get it.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA