Pauline Phillips, founder of 'Dear Abby' column, dies at 94

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/17/dear-abby-dies-dead-pauline-phillips/

Pauline Phillips --the woman who founded the "Dear Abby" advice column -- died yesterday at the age of 94.

A rep for Phillips tells TMZ ... Pauline had been battling Alzheimer's disease.

Pauline's daughter, Jeanne -- who took over the "Dear Abby" column -- says ... "I have lost my mother, my mentor and my best friend."

She adds, "My mother leaves very big high heels to fill with a legacy of compassion,commitment and positive social change. I will honor her memory every day by continuing this legacy."

"Dear Abby" first appeared in print in 1956 -- and eventually grew to a daily readership of 100 MILLION.

Pauline's twin sister was advice columnist Ann Landers -- who died in 2002 at the age of 83.

During her career, Phillips used the pen name Abigail Van Buren -- she used the name "Abigail" from the wise woman in the Old Testament and "Van Buren" was adopted in honor of one of her favorite presidents.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
A rep for Phillips tells TMZ ... Pauline had been battling Alzheimer's disease.
That does explain why all her answers over the past four years were "spoon."

During her career, Phillips used the pen name Abigail Van Buren -- she used the name "Abigail" from the wise woman in the Old Testament and "Van Buren" was adopted in honor of one of her favorite presidents.
With the exception of an NYC street gang, who would consider Martin Van Buren their favorite president?

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
With the exception of an NYC street gang, who would consider Martin Van Buren their favorite president?
They had a brief relationship in college.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I know I could have done an old person joke. But I chose not to.
I never choose not to, but if you insist on discourse, we'll review his accomplishments:

1. Founder of the two-party system in U.S. politics
  2. Founder of the party caucus
  3. Founder of the nominating convention
  4. Founder of the patronage system
  5. Founder of a process to successfully market a candidate for a political position
  6. Founder of many other political practices now considered common. He was also the founder of the Democratic Party of today, the first U.S. president from New York State, the first ethnic U.S. president, the first president born in the republic [the seven presidents who preceded him were all born under British rule], and the first president elected without the benefit of a university degree or a military commission [the only one like him in presidential history is Grover Cleveland].

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Believe she was one of them j00's. Hence, she is home with her pal Satan.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I heard someone on the news say she lost her battle with Alzheimers......for fuck's sake!!! SHE was 94 when she died!!! I'd Call that fucking winning!!!!!

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
How does one guy found the two party system? It would take at least two.
I assume he's the guy that started the second party.

Sincerely, literal fandango.