PCI Network Card Fried; Need New Solution

Token White Guy

Continuously Jaded
Oct 25, 2009
LA... Lower Alabama
My PCI network card fried last night. I don't want to replace it though. What I want to do is hook an ethernet cable to my PC and plug the other end to a wireless network adapter. Here's the problem, I don't know what I'm looking for. I had the same type of setup for the first gen Xbox but I lost that piece years ago. Any suggestions on what I need to look for? :arrrh:

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
If the PCI NIC is fried what, exactly, do you plan on connecting the the ethernet cable to in said PC? Or are you talking about a wirless card that got fried?

I don't know what you are looking for either. Maybe a wireless gaming adapter something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002MH3HE/?tag=wackbagcom-20

FYI, PCI NIC cards are dirt cheap, wired or wireless.

Another option would be a USB wireless network adapter, or even a USB wired network adapter.

Token White Guy

Continuously Jaded
Oct 25, 2009
LA... Lower Alabama
That seems like a colossal waste of money, but more power to ya.
Every PCI network card I buy turns into garbage a few months in. I've been through 3, all different brands. I thought I'd buy something different for the same price and see how it works.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Understood.

Those wireless gaming adapters are expensive compared to the cost of a PCI card, that's all.

You probably have a bad motherboard or at least a bad PCI slot. I worked on a system once that would eventually fry anything that was installed in the first PCI slot.

Token White Guy

Continuously Jaded
Oct 25, 2009
LA... Lower Alabama
Understood.

Those wireless gaming adapters are expensive compared to the cost of a PCI card, that's all.

You probably have a bad motherboard or at least a bad PCI slot. I worked on a system once that would eventually fry anything that was installed in the first PCI slot.
That's my first thought too. I thought my mobo was eating my PCI cards but I changed the sound card (cheap one I was testing) where network adapter use to be and it's completely fine. Products dealing with networking don't love me.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
A Wireless adapter seems like a waste for a desktop PC, seeing that it's stationary and a wired connection is always going to be faster and more reliable.