PD TRACY CLOHERTY is out at CBS Alternative WXRK

krunk

sackboy-licious
Aug 2, 2003
Delco, PA
on allaccess.com:

PD TRACY CLOHERTY is out at CBS Alternative WXRK (92.3 K-ROCK)/NEW YORK

After just over 7 months as PD at WXRK/NEW YORK, TRACY CLOHERTY is out. This comes on a day of major change at CBS RADIO, with cuts in several clusters across the country.

For all the details, log on to AllAccess.com right now

SabresRule

May 19, 2006
Buffalo
welcome to FMQB.com 30 minutes ago

In Brief - February 7, 2008
February 7, 2008

CBS Radio is the latest radio company to slash its workforce with a less than 5% cutback. Amid those let go is the surprise firing of WXRK (K-Rock)/New York PD Tracy Cloherty. Other names found in the cutbacks are WXRT/Chicago VP/GM Michael Damsky and KKJJ/Las Vegas PD/MD Craig Powers.

Kori White is named OM for Cox Radio’s Birmingham station cluster which includes CHR/Rhythmic WBHJ, Urban WBHK, Religious WAGG-AM and Talk WPSB-AM. White is also Director of Marketing and Promotions at WBHK and WAGG.

Cathy Taylor exits as co-host of the McGee In The Morning Show on AC WOLZ/Ft. Myers.

Shawn Cash, morning host on Hot AC KZZO/Sacramento, announces he is retiring from radio.

The Denver Post reports the entire KSYY (Sassy 107)/Denver on-air staff fired on Monday. Exiting are morning talent Gloria Neal, afternoon hosts Dave Otto and Jill West and overnight host Dusti Rhodes.

With the exit of Alex Quigley, WKQX (Q101.1)/Chicago AMD Nicole Gamboa takes over MD duties of the Emmis/Chicago HD-2 stations, 'Loop Loud' & 'Q2.' Chris Sevening assumes other online maintenance duties.
Wave of firings hits CBS radio outlets

By DAVID HINCKLEY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, February 8th 2008, 4:00 AM
Tracy Cloherty

Tracy Cloherty

Half the program directors at CBS-owned radio stations in New York were fired Thursday as part of a national restructuring the company said will allow CBS "to more effectively monetize the aggregate number of listeners who hear us on the radio and the Internet."

That means things have tightened in the changing world of radio, and it spelled the end for Crys Quimby of all-news WCBS-AM (880), Rick Martini of soft-music "Fresh" (WWFS, 102.7 FM) and Tracy Cloherty of rock WXRK (K-Rock, 92.3 FM).

A number of staffers in nonprogramming areas like engineering, promotions and the Internet were also reportedly let go.

CBS had no comment on any staffers who were terminated, saying in a statement that the company has been streamlining operations to improve profitability.

"As a result of our new focus," said the statement, "we've experienced substantial over-the-air ratings gains and sizable online-traffic growth."

It is expected that longtime news director Tim Scheld will guide the news operation at WCBS-AM for now, while music director Mike Tierney will be the interim program director at K-Rock.

Once word started getting out yesterday, it was Cloherty's departure from K-Rock that drew the most attention.

The station has yet to get much traction with the rock format it reinstituted after dropping its "Free-FM" talk experiment, and morning hosts Opie and Anthony have been making ominous jokes on the air about their future there.

Longtime K-Rock general manager Tom Chiusano also announced recently that he is leaving in the spring, and just this week the station got a new competitor when Emmis unveiled rock WRXP at 101.9 FM.

But the station gave no indication of an impending format change. It recently hired two full-time weekday hosts, and CBS has said its ratings are on the upswing with its target young male audience.

In the larger picture, notes Tom Taylor of the trade sheet Radio-info.com, the CBS cuts reflect the fact that radio advertising - like that of many traditional media - has flattened over the last few years.

"Radio is still very profitable and healthy," says Taylor. "But it also has to respond to Wall Street."

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I guess God needed a braless ****** lover.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
So now that both Tracy and Tom are gone, who's manning the ship?

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
If Krock actually played a good mix of songs then I feel the station would do well. I can't count the number of times I turned on the station and heard zep or nirvana or greenday. There are countless good bands that came out after 96 that they could play. They could even venture into brooklyn and start launching new bands from that area.

If people listen in the morning for talk and the afternoon for good new music then the station could survive. Who said that you had to play the same songs over and over to get ratings?

I really like what that Jazz station did when they turned to rock. They had a decent setlist that you wouldn't hear on Krock or q104. I'm sure people will still listen to their IPODs but if krock starts playing some good stuff people aren't used to hearing, then people will listen to the station to hear what the music is. Then, if they want, they can download it. But the initial part would start at the station and give them some ratings.

I would love to program the station.

badcellphoneguy

Kansas City...Kansas City here they come!
Jul 18, 2005
Wantagh, LI
Since technically there are no bosses at CBS radio right now. They can do the whole show now from their home turf at XM.

badcellphoneguy

Kansas City...Kansas City here they come!
Jul 18, 2005
Wantagh, LI
Just to pass this note along. CBS Radio has fired all but 2 PD's from CBS Radio. Mark Chernoff is still running WFAN. Tring to find who the other person who survived this mass firing.

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
I've been saying the same thing since they flipped back to crap. Can I help program?
Absolutely. Do you have a demo tape?

I just don't understand why radio stations are flipped to find the demo instead of them flipping, waiting a few months, and having the demo find them. That is exactly what happened with o/a early on WNEW. They were on a station with dull rockers (but good jocks), and the audience found them. It was a huge ground swell. Without that swell they might not have been on XM either.

Stupid capitalism. It doesn't give stations enough time to do well.

mattiew23m

Nice Head Deek
Feb 17, 2006
Secaucus, NJ
so let me get this straight. She showed up to work, made no changes, picked the next green day song, smoked, dreamed about THE NEGRO, got paid, and now will leave to fuck up somewhere else. Damn, I need that gig.. I HATTTTED her, so I hope she dies in a fire.

Bring back RON AND FEZ!!!

jimmyjimjimz

Wackbag's version of The Miz
Aug 12, 2005
Rockaway Beach, NYC
How exactly does K-Rock expect to get raitings if they don't even advertize? Maybe most of the old-school K-Rock fans don't know K-Rock is back, and they think it's still FreeFM. Back in the day, there were commercials all over TV for K-Rock. Maybe if they made TV ad's again and got the word out that they were back, more people would come back.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Next PD should be a monkey throwing darts at a board full of potential music to be played. That would save a few bucks and would most likely sound better too.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
If they only let the Homless Shopping Spree broadcast live over the weekend... Tom and Tracy might still have jobs.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
How exactly does K-Rock expect to get raitings if they don't even advertize? Maybe most of the old-school K-Rock fans don't know K-Rock is back, and they think it's still FreeFM. Back in the day, there were commercials all over TV for K-Rock. Maybe if they made TV ad's again and got the word out that they were back, more people would come back.

They'll come back and hear Icky Thump four times in three hours and run right back to their iPod.