Pearl Jam fans, help me out here

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Wow, I just listened to "Ten" for the first time in maybe 5 or 6 years.
(minus jeremy and even flow, two songs I didn't need/want to hear.)

I'd forgotten how well performed and produced this album was.
It thoroughly kicked my ass, like it used to do in the early 90's, That's for sure.
I sort of lost interest in Pearl Jam after their second album though, and haven't heard anything from them probably since.

I'd like to ask long time fans if any of their other works or albums since have matched, exceeded , neared, or came close to the intensity and spirit of that album?

It'd be pretty kick ass if someone told me yes, and what albums, if any.

Salem

Midgets = funny
I thought Riot Act was up there after TEN and Vitology.

KneeKnee

Trophy Whore.
The old stuff is my favorite. Especially Ten, Vs, and the B sides...Ledbedder, Footsteps, Dr. Frank.

Check out "Lost Dogs" and, if you can find it, "Pearl Jam, Live in NYC 12/31/92, The Academy...Thats a great Live album of Ten songs.

highway23

I miss NY wings
I'll give you a quick rundown...unless you truly want me to go in-depth...of their albums. Not in any particular order.

Their newest album, self-titled Pearl Jam, is amazing. It's so well done and the songs are outstanding. You wouldn't be disappointed in the least. I honestly suggest you check this out because it will make you say "Jesus, they haven't lost a step!" - songs to check out: Life wasted, Come Back, Inside Job, Marker in the Sand

Yield - is a great album to listen to when you want to go out and take a drive, forget your problems and just listen to some great music. - songs to check out: Faithful, Given to Fly, Low Light, MFC, All those Yesterdays

Riot Act - This is an excellent album, and is probably the only one that shows more of the political side of Pearl Jam, though it doesn't drown out the music and Vedder does a great job on letting the music do just as much as his lyrics. Probably one of Mike McCready's best guitar filled album. - songs to check out: Save You, I am Mine, Get Right, Loveboat Captain, Thumbing My Way, 1/2 Full

Vs. - Raw album full of anger and frustration...and some solid fucking song writing and guitar wailing. - songs to check out: Animal, Dissident, Blood, Rearview Mirror, Indifference

No Code - If you're looking for Ed's lyrical content to be at it's best, this is probably the best album to check out. It's much different than any of their other albums, but has something special to it.- songs to check out: In My Tree, Off He Goes, Red Mosquito, Around the Bend

Vitalogy
- This is an odd one, but is still pretty good. It's a very dark album and it's pretty hard rock...some of my favorite songs are from this album. - songs to check out: Not for You, Nothingman, Whipping, Corduroy, Satan's Bed, Immortality

Binaural - You could almost consider this an experimental album...the guys tried some different ways to record it. This album's pure genius can only be heard when listened through headphones, but it's great out of a stereo too. - songs to check out: Breakerfall, Nothing as it Seems, Thin Air, Insignificance, Of the Girl, Sleight of Hand

Live on Two Legs - This is a stellar live album that has a handful of songs from their...98 tour I believe. (could be 2000). An all-around awesome arrangement of songs - though if you really want to check out their live stuff, it's best to check out an entire show - particularly from Europe during those tours.

Lost Dogs - this is a double album of b-sides and rarities. Some of them will make you wonder why they never made it on an album. Some of these are on there for the diehard fans who have heard these songs live and wanted studio versions. - songs to check out: Alone, Education, Black, Red, & Yellow, U, Leaving Here, Hold On, Yellow Ledbetter, Hard to Imagine, Footsteps, Drifting, Wash

Hope this helps...if you want some more in-depth stuff, like I said. I'm game :)

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
I'll give you a quick rundown...unless you truly want me to go in-depth...of their albums. Not in any particular order.

Their newest album, self-titled Pearl Jam, is amazing. It's so well done and the songs are outstanding. You wouldn't be disappointed in the least. I honestly suggest you check this out because it will make you say "Jesus, they haven't lost a step!" - songs to check out: Life wasted, Come Back, Inside Job, Marker in the Sand

Yield - is a great album to listen to when you want to go out and take a drive, forget your problems and just listen to some great music. - songs to check out: Faithful, Given to Fly, Low Light, MFC, All those Yesterdays

Riot Act - This is an excellent album, and is probably the only one that shows more of the political side of Pearl Jam, though it doesn't drown out the music and Vedder does a great job on letting the music do just as much as his lyrics. Probably one of Mike McCready's best guitar filled album. - songs to check out: Save You, I am Mine, Get Right, Loveboat Captain, Thumbing My Way, 1/2 Full

Vs. - Raw album full of anger and frustration...and some solid fucking song writing and guitar wailing. - songs to check out: Animal, Dissident, Blood, Rearview Mirror, Indifference

No Code - If you're looking for Ed's lyrical content to be at it's best, this is probably the best album to check out. It's much different than any of their other albums, but has something special to it.- songs to check out: In My Tree, Off He Goes, Red Mosquito, Around the Bend

Vitalogy
- This is an odd one, but is still pretty good. It's a very dark album and it's pretty hard rock...some of my favorite songs are from this album. - songs to check out: Not for You, Nothingman, Whipping, Corduroy, Satan's Bed, Immortality

Binaural - You could almost consider this an experimental album...the guys tried some different ways to record it. This album's pure genius can only be heard when listened through headphones, but it's great out of a stereo too. - songs to check out: Breakerfall, Nothing as it Seems, Thin Air, Insignificance, Of the Girl, Sleight of Hand

Live on Two Legs - This is a stellar live album that has a handful of songs from their...98 tour I believe. (could be 2000). An all-around awesome arrangement of songs - though if you really want to check out their live stuff, it's best to check out an entire show - particularly from Europe during those tours.

Lost Dogs - this is a double album of b-sides and rarities. Some of them will make you wonder why they never made it on an album. Some of these are on there for the diehard fans who have heard these songs live and wanted studio versions. - songs to check out: Alone, Education, Black, Red, & Yellow, U, Leaving Here, Hold On, Yellow Ledbetter, Hard to Imagine, Footsteps, Drifting, Wash

Hope this helps...if you want some more in-depth stuff, like I said. I'm game :)
Thanks...you just saved me 10 minutes of typing. All I have to put now is QFT.

Love Pearl Jam

Nothing Sound

Riding the Biggest Wave
My 20 gig iPod has at least 10 gigs of Live shows.
My fucking user name is a reference to them and
I have a Pearl Jam tattoo on my left arm.

I can't get enough of the fuckers.

highway23

I miss NY wings
Do you have a pic of your tat?

I almost got a PJ one back a few years ago...but never got around to it

Yield and Pearl Jam are 2 good choices. You could also check out one of their live albums from the 2003 tour that you can still find in most record stores. I think both NY shows, the 3rd Boston show, and Penn State from the US leg and a couple shows from Japan and Australia were released to stores. They're all good choices.

Nothing Sound

Riding the Biggest Wave
Do you have a pic of your tat?

I almost got a PJ one back a few years ago...but never got around to it
Somewhere. I'll have to look for it.

It's my rendition of the Stickman and it says Pearl Jam above it.
I got it right before the 2003 tour.

Nothing Sound

Riding the Biggest Wave
You could also check out one of their live albums from the 2003 tour that you can still find in most record stores. I think both NY shows, the 3rd Boston show, and Penn State from the US leg and a couple shows from Japan and Australia were released to stores. They're all good choices.
I have just about ever live show since 2000,
not to mention all of the bootleg shit I have before then.

I really need help.

highway23

I miss NY wings
I hear ya, I still remember going out and buying bootlegs for ungodly amounts of money...

Did you ever happen to come across the "Covering Themselves" bootlegs? Jesus those were fantastic...

I don't have the VHS/DVD collection I once did (moving...they got lost)
But I at one time pretty much had every live show...when I computer got packed I had to ditch them...now I've got a external that I should fill up...

Nothing Sound

Riding the Biggest Wave
I hear ya, I still remember going out and buying bootlegs for ungodly amounts of money...

Did you ever happen to come across the "Covering Themselves" bootlegs? Jesus those were fantastic...

I don't have the VHS/DVD collection I once did (moving...they got lost)
But I at one time pretty much had every live show...when I computer got packed I had to ditch them...now I've got a external that I should fill up...
How about the '95 movie that's not supposed to be spoken about?

Classic shit.

the most recent album was very good, one of the best. yield was great as well

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Thanks for the info guys. Especially Highways shit.. just the kind of info I was hoping to find.
I'll be back with my pearl jam findings and my take on it. Thanks again.

Vitalogy

Qft

I always say Pearl Jam is one of, if not the most well balanced Rock band musically of this generation. Every album is different, they never repeat or regurgitate the same bullshit, and thats how you can tell its honest.

Actually, Ive never been too crazy about Riot Act or No Code, but to each his own I guess.

Vs. is actually my favorite next to Ten. 'Animal' is a kickass track there. And 'Leash', 'Rearview Mirror', and 'Glorified G' are amazing as well. And the self-titled album is absolute genius.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Pearl Jam does it's best work live. Even some of the songs that I thought fell short on the albums blew me away when I heard the live versions. Look to pick up some of the "bootlegs" they put out.

I like the live show they did with Robert Plant in Chicago for Hurricane Katrina relief I think. They did a couple of Zeppelin covers with him on stage, pretty cool shit.

highway23

I miss NY wings
Every Pearl Jam show is a unique listen. You will honestly be happy with any live show that you download/buy. There's never been a repeated setlist and they always put in something they haven't done before.

But if you enjoy listening to a soundboard quality show...and love hearing how loud a fucking crowd can get, there are some great shows out there that they have released that will blow your mind.

empyrelounge

you got to love going to & listening back to the shows as Eddie polishes off the bottle of wine every show.

the last disc Pearl Jam was their best in years

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Every Pearl Jam show is a unique listen. You will honestly be happy with any live show that you download/buy. There's never been a repeated setlist and they always put in something they haven't done before.

But if you enjoy listening to a soundboard quality show...and love hearing how loud a fucking crowd can get, there are some great shows out there that they have released that will blow your mind.
I'm looking forward to the Live Gorge box set coming out in a few weeks.

highway23

I miss NY wings
I have a lot of friends that went to the Gorge shows and they said it was something special. I got to hear a few songs via cellphone and I wish I could've been there.

I've been to about 8 shows, Montreal was always the best. Even got to sit next to Eddie back in 98 during Cheap Trick...something I'll never forget.

Salem

Midgets = funny
Im still waiting for the announcement PJ will be playing Fenway. Theo Epstien is always wearing PJ hats to music events. That will the day I spend 300 for a ticket or camp out in line.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Im still waiting for the announcement PJ will be playing Fenway. Theo Epstien is always wearing PJ hats to music events. That will the day I spend 300 for a ticket or camp out in line.
Won't be this year. THey only do one show a year at Fenway and it's the Police this summer. Theo might have horrible taste in baseball teams, but good taste in music.

Lukin

Thats Terrific!!!
Pearl Jam does it's best work live. Even some of the songs that I thought fell short on the albums blew me away when I heard the live versions. Look to pick up some of the "bootlegs" they put out.
The bootlegs are second only to attending a PJ show. I'm looking forward to The Gorge box set and No Code fucking rules