Pentagon Bans Google Teams

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Saw this story and thought it was bound to happen.

Pentagon bans Google teams from bases 18 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon has banned Google Earth teams from making detailed street-level video maps of U.S. military bases.

A message sent to all Defense Department bases and installations around the country late last week told officials to not allow the popular mapping Web site from taking panoramic views inside the facilities.

Michael Kucharek, spokesman for U.S. Northern Command, told The Associated Press on Thursday that the decision was made after crews were allowed access to at least one base. He said military officials were concerned that allowing the 360-degree, street-level video could provide sensitive information to potential adversaries and endanger base personnel.

His comments came just a few days after published reports suggested that protesters used Google Earth to help plot their access to the roof of the Parliament building in London.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080306/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/google_ban;_ylt=AgxER0jpkFgvoZCNCU0m4Mus0NUE

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Michael Kucharek, spokesman for U.S. Northern Command, told The Associated Press on Thursday that the decision was made after crews were allowed access to at least one base.
Somewhere, there is a base commander heading over to Kinkos.

bb1mobile

wackbag's special mod
Wackbag Staff
Jul 10, 2007
What fucking idiot would let them on a military base?
Whoever did that needs to be booted asap.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
What fucking idiot would let them on a military base?
Whoever did that needs to be booted asap.
Apparently, they actually have tours of NORAD ala WarGames.

If they let those broads in there, then a base must be far more lax.

sniper2323

The true north Idaho P.O.W.
Aug 3, 2006
I know at one base I was stationed it was easy to get in. You were going to visit one of the two sites on base. The solar power tower, or the atomic museum. Visitor pass was granted very easy to almost anyone.

But that was more then a few years ago.