people sue over not getting super powers

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Aug 30, 2005
woodland critter christmas park nj
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/21/power-bracelets-lawsuit_n_1105559.html?ref=style

Angry consumers who sued Power Balance, the company that makes those hologram-plastered athletic bracelets, will soon be winning a whopping $57 million settlement from the company, reports TMZ.

The famous bracelets shot to popularity a few years ago and were soon spotted on the wrists of various celebs and pro-athletes. Costing about $30, the silicone jewelry featured a thin polyester film hologram that purportedly "enhanced the body's natural energy" and promoted balance in a design that was supposed to mimic Eastern philosophies.

The claims seemed dubious from the get-go, even as California-based Power Balance began to swell in size and income. The trouble started for the company back in January, when disappointed consumers first filed a federal lawsuit claiming the bracelets packed no more power than a rubber band. Josh Rodarmel, 28, and his brother Troy, who founded the company, were forced to release a statement acknowledging that the bracelets' alleged magical power had no ground in science:

In our advertising we stated that Power Balance wristbands improved your strength, balance and flexibility.
We admit that there is no credible scientific evidence that supports our claims and therefore we engaged in misleading conduct in breach of s52 of the Trade Practices Act 1974.
If you feel you have been misled by our promotions, we wish to unreservedly apologise and offer a full refund.
But the refund offer only had six months to percolate before today's massive settlement delivered a $57 million dollar blow. TMZ reports that the company will now be declaring bankruptcy and scrapping the Power Bracelets for good.

Read the original story at TMZ, and check out some celebs sporting their Power Bracelets below. Attention, Kate: start putting yours on eBay now!
if you sued this company because a rubber band didn't make you stronger, just die already.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly

He has a pretty applicable quote on this

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
This should apply to those magnetic bracelets too. [video=youtube;XGNlSIb_3Ys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGNlSIb_3Ys[/video]

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Fucking assholes will believe anything they're told.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
In our advertising we stated that Power Balance wristbands improved your strength, balance and flexibility.
We admit that there is no credible scientific evidence that supports our claims
Should have stated that in their ads and they may have been ok.
I see tons of ads for shit that let you know their claims have not been
scientifically verified and individual experiences vary. Dumb asses
all around for both the sellers and the buyers.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Should have stated that in their ads and they may have been ok.
I see tons of ads for shit that let you know their claims have not been
scientifically verified and individual experiences vary. Dumb asses
all around for both the sellers and the buyers.
Anyone who can sell a silicone bracelet with a fucking hologram on it is a genius. The idiots are anyone on earth who thinks a picture can channel some sort of energy into your body.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
This should apply to those magnetic bracelets too. [video=youtube;XGNlSIb_3Ys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGNlSIb_3Ys[/video]
I have a friend who swears by those stupid things... Fucking guy has a masters degree in nuclear engineering, and he believes this dumb shit.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Anyone who can sell a silicone bracelet with a fucking hologram on it is a genius. The idiots are anyone on earth who thinks a picture can channel some sort of energy into your body.
But those idiots got a good lawyer and now they are gonna get paid.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I guess I shouldn't order that instant Lazarus Pit bubble bath ?

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I'm saving my Obama quarters to buy a bracelet.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Finally a lawsuit I can get behind. Are the people who buy this shit stupid? Sure. But that doesn't mean they should be cheated by these fucking con men. Hopefully someone will sue that company that makes the 9/11 coins too.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
They will all get less than $50 each, and the lawyers will make millions, like usual.
In this one case, I'm just happy that fucking company is losing a ton of money. No one was legitimately hurt by buying this crap, so I don't care that they aren't really getting paid much.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I'm pretty sure I remember an episode of Scam School about these things

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
there was a couple of guys peddling those pieces of shit at the last gun show i went to, when they bothered me i just told the guy "i already screwed her this morning she doesn't need to get fucked out of money too" and just kept walking, the look on the guys face was priceless.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Actually I've found alot of "smart" people seem to lack common sense.
My father-in-law has an aerospace engineering degree from MIT, yet still goes to Church and believes in "God."
Smarts, intelligence and common sense have no intersect point.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
So, can we use this as a precedent to sue the Catholic Church?

Stig

Wackbag's New Favorite Heel
Jul 26, 2005
NH
Since this was HuffPo, can I assume that all of the plaintiffs were Republicans?