Pettitte apologizes for 'embarrassment'

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2008/02/18/pettitte_apologizes_for_embarrassment/
TAMPA, Fla.—Andy Pettitte has not spoken to Roger Clemens since giving a sworn statement which implicated his good friend in the use of human growth hormone. "I think it's put a strain on our friendship," Pettitte said in an eagerly awaited news conference Monday at the New York Yankees' spring training complex.

more stories like thisPettitte apologized to the Yankees, Houston Astros and his fans for the "embarrassment" he caused them by taking HGH.

Pettitte arrived at spring training earlier in the day and threw a bullpen session at the minor league complex. Later, he met reporters for about an hour.

"I never want a young person to do what I did," Pettitte said. "I'm sorry for the mistakes I have made."

Pettitte sat alone at a podium, taking dozens of questions. He often paused to collect his thoughts and several times patiently asked reporters "did I answer your question?"

It had been about a month since he had spoken to Clemens, Pettitte said.

"I can't even describe how uncomfortable a situation" this has been.

With Yankees teammates Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada in attendance, along with two of his lawyers, Pettitte acknowledged he had considered not playing because of the ongoing situation.

"That wouldn't be the thing to do as a man. I felt like I needed to come out and face you guys and whatever circumstances that come I'll take it, I'll take it like a man and I'll try to do my job," he said.

Pettitte was excused from testifying publicly at a congressional hearing last week after he gave a deposition and an affidavit. In addition to his December admission that he used HGH for two days in 2002 while with the Yankees, he said he injected himself with HGH for one day in 2004 while with the Astros after obtaining two syringes from his father.

"I was never going to bring my dad up," he said.

Pettitte said there were no other times he used performance-enhancing drugs. "There are no other surprises out there," he said.

The 35-year-old lefty with 201 regular-season wins and four World Series championship rings said he did not feel as if his accomplishments were tainted.

"All I can tell you, from the bottom of my heart I know why I did this. I did it because I was told it might be able to help me," he said. "If people think I'm lying, then they should call me a cheater.

"Do I think I'm a cheater? No, I don't," he said. "Was it stupid? Yes, I was stupid. Was I desperate? Yes, I probably was."

Pettitte said in his previous statement that Clemens had discussed nearly a decade ago using HGH. In addition, Pettitte testified Brian McNamee, the former personal trainer for Clemens and Pettitte, had spoken in 2003 or 2004 about steroids use by Clemens.
Clemens claims Pettitte "misremembers."

more stories like this"I think Roger knows how I feel about him. He knows I've admired him and continue to admire him. He's a great friend to me," he said.

Pettitte said he did not watch the Congressional hearings last week in which Clemens and McNamee testified. Pettitte professed his friendship for both men and said he hoped to remain on good terms with both of them.

"This has been a horrible situation for me," he said. "I'm hoping and praying I don't have to do anything else with this."

Pettitte does not appear to be at risk of a suspension for his admissions. HGH was not banned by players and owners until January 2005.

"If it was illegal in baseball, I wouldn't have done it," he said.

However, Pettitte could remain ensnared between McNamee and Clemens, who denies allegations that he used performance-enhancing drugs. Dealing with his first controversy since he was hired to replace Joe Torre, manager Joe Girardi said it was too soon to tell whether the matter will end soon for Pettitte.

"I think a lot of that depends on what happens with Roger and what he continues to do. If that was to all die down, I think it would pretty much go away," Girardi said Sunday. "But, obviously, there's some litigation there that Andy might be a part of, so from that standpoint, it could linger."

Clemens has filed a civil suit against McNamee claiming defamation, and there could be a criminal investigation of the conflicting accounts given before Congress by Clemens and McNamee.

Girardi understands any additional admissions of drug use by Pettitte "would become a huge story."

"But my thought is Andy has probably told everything that there is," Girardi said.

During the season, spectators on the road are likely to remind Pettitte of HGH use.

"You know how the fans are. They're going to say anything to distract the pitcher," Rivera said. "Hopefully, it's not too bad, because it always happens."

Pettitte was 15-9 with a 4.05 ERA last year in his first season back with New York following three years on the Astros. He announced Dec. 3 that he would accept the Yankees' $16 million standing offer to return for another year.

© Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Cmon, is there really that many Yankee fans who just happened to overlook this story???

Perch1019

Oct 4, 2004
White Plains, NY

Cmon, is there really that many Yankee fans who just happened to overlook this story???
Whats to overlook? His name was in the report and he fessed up to it like a man. What else is he supposed to do? Everyone knows about it already. He sat in front of those reporters and didnt hide. Answered all their questions and even made sure to stay well past any PR people wanted him to just to make sure he got to everyones questions.
In his defense, HGH wasnt a banned substance when he did it in '01 or '02.

and yes, Im very bias here.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
So what the fuck is your point? Did this REALLY need a separate thread? Andy Pettitte is a class act regardless of who he hangs out with. At least he manned up. If you think there haven't been any Red Sox shooting up you are truly delusional.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
First of all, I don't know how to insert stories into posts. Second, if I did, I wouldn't make a thread about this story. Third, I can understand why a player would take HGH if it helps them recover from a injury. Fourth, Pettitte manned up about it and I when I think of him, it won't be about HGH use. It will be about the stare he has on the mound. It will be about how during the 2003 playoffs, he won the second game of every series, after the Yankees lost the first one. Finally, the 84 players named in the Mitchell report, weren't the only ones to use steriods or HGH.

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
I like it cause it shits on Clemens (as much as it brings down my signed rookie cards). Yes Andy manned up and took it like Roger should have. Good for Andy. I hope there are more people out there who see his example and do the same.

I dunno how to insert stories either. I just cut and pasted.

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
So what the fuck is your point? Did this REALLY need a separate thread? Andy Pettitte is a class act regardless of who he hangs out with. At least he manned up. If you think there haven't been any Red Sox shooting up you are truly delusional.
I was PISSED when the report came out and didnt inclued Nomar. He had to have been party to that era.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
I'm of the opinion that every Major Leaguer playing today has had at least some experience with Steroids or HGH at some point in their career. They weren't even banned by MLB until recently and now that attendance is up again since the strike they feel like they can save face by putting the screws to these guys. Meanwhile Mark Mcguire singlehandedly saved their sport while sacrificing his health to steroids. This is all on MLB if you ask me.

Pettitte is a man among men. He fucked around with shit he shouldnt have. Who hasnt? I know Ive certainly had my brushes with drugs much more serious than HGH.

And he came out and admitted it instead of just ignoring it (Mark McGwire) or bold face lied about it (Clemens). He chose to come back and play another year and put himself through it all. Class fucking act.

Steam

May 18, 2003
Pettitte is a man among men. He fucked around with shit he shouldnt have. Who hasnt? I know Ive certainly had my brushes with drugs much more serious than HGH.

And he came out and admitted it instead of just ignoring it (Mark McGwire) or bold face lied about it (Clemens). He chose to come back and play another year and put himself through it all. Class fucking act.
It would have been a class act if he admitted it before being caught. Hell, I might even give you that if he had admitted to the full scope of his use when he first apologized back in December. However, now he just looks like a dope. Granted, not on the level that Clemens looks but its still wicked stupid of Pettitte. I'm going to group him in with Giambi in "guys who when confronted by having to tell the truth or perjure themselves they did the right thing".

That being said, I'll still support everything he does for the team with the knowledge that he isn't the only one who did shit like that. Unfortunately that doesn't mean that I'm ready to knight Andy for his role in outing Clemens.