Philip K. Dick’s The Man in the High Castle is coming to Syfy

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Enough with posting links without stories. The board is getting really bad about that lately.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
It's io9 shit blog spam anyway.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
"is coming to SyFy" is a boner killer.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I'm at the point where I see that as a fluke more than a sign of hope.
Was BSG even a properly SyFy Channel production or did they just fund it/buy it? I see this project has Ridley Scott involved, so I doubt this will be a Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus kinda thing... But who knows. I won't say I'm terribly optimistic, but I'm willing to reserve judgment for now.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
That's one I haven't read but I have the audiobook, narrated by Sigourney Weaver. Isn't it about the Nazis winning WWII or something like that?

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
That's one I haven't read but I have the audiobook, narrated by Sigourney Weaver. Isn't it about the Nazis winning WWII or something like that?
Sounds like an April book club candidate to me.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Yes. He claims that it isn't fiction, but rather a vision of reality in another dimension. He took it very seriously.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
This is the plot to the movie "Fatherland" with Rutger Hauer. The aren't related are they?

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
This is the plot to the movie "Fatherland" with Rutger Hauer. The aren't related are they?
Most likely not. There are a fuck ton of alt history books with the Nazis winning.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Yes. He claims that it isn't fiction, but rather a vision of reality in another dimension. He took it very seriously.
I know it came after High Castle, but the guy ended up writing an extensive religious treatise (Exegesis) that came from an artificial intelligence talking to him (the inspiration for VALIS). Dude was a tad nutty. And I might be getting that story completely wrong.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
I know it came after High Castle, but the guy ended up writing an extensive religious treatise (Exegesis) that came from an artificial intelligence talking to him (the inspiration for VALIS). Dude was a tad nutty. And I might be getting that story completely wrong.
Here's Dick talking a little crazy:
How awkward it must have been to sit in that audience.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
DrewDown I remember reading that Bill Pullman was going to play PKD in a biopic.

Apparently it's called "Your Name Here," it was completed in 2008 and it was never released even though there are a couple of reviews of it.

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/reviews/your-name-here
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0837802/

There's a trailer trailer http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/your-name-here/trailer

and a teaser trailer

I wonder if the guy who made this was "inspired" by Cronenberg's Naked Lunch (with the teaser trailer from A Clockwork Orange)

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
I won't say that the film looks good, but I'm interested enough to check it out. I watched a Discover Channel biography of Dick the other day that was pretty interesting (if a bit shallow).

One thing that stuck with me was the stuff about the pinkish purple light that would talk to him and give him visions. Apparently, he was listening to the Beatles one day and had a visitation by this light being. He was told to rush his infant son to the hospital right away because he had a hernia or something. Dick got up, took the baby to the hospital, and sure enough the baby would have died from a hernia that went undiagnosed at his birth. Now, is this an apocryphal story or true, because that's pretty damn cool if true. If it's true, it's also potentially frightening, given his claims to authority on the subject of reality.

fenrir, comment?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I won't say that the film looks good, but I'm interested enough to check it out. I watched a Discover Channel biography of Dick the other day that was pretty interesting (if a bit shallow).
I scouted my usual suspects and came up with nothing. I would totally watch it if I came across it.

One thing that stuck with me was the stuff about the pinkish purple light that would talk to him and give him visions. Apparently, he was listening to the Beatles one day and had a visitation by this light being. He was told to rush his infant son to the hospital right away because he had a hernia or something. Dick got up, took the baby to the hospital, and sure enough the baby would have died from a hernia that went undiagnosed at his birth. Now, is this an apocryphal story or true, because that's pretty damn cool if true. If it's true, it's also potentially frightening, given his claims to authority on the subject of reality.
I read the same story too.

fenrir, comment?

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA

fenrir, comment?
As I understand one of those door-to-door religious folks came to his house and when he answered a beam of light came from this person's jewelry and gave him the vision.

And The Man in the High Castle isn't an alternate retelling but an alternate reality/dimension.

This is touched on in the novel, one character manages to randomly cross over for a bit. Later it's revealed that their reality is the false one.

He had planned to continue on with the concept/story but never could for various reasons and that work he put into it ended up being adapted for some of his other works. That said, it's a minor element compared to the way he handles the world post allied defeat.