Phillies off season thread 2012 / 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Guess we need to move on from the season thread.

Latest move is adding Wally Joyner as an asst hitting coach.
One area that really needs improving so I have no problem
seeing them put new people in place to improve their game.

During his end-of-season press conference, Ruben Amaro alluded to the Phillies adding another element to their bench following the firing of several coaches. Today, they made the move to hire former major league first baseman Wally Joyner as an assistant hitting coach to Steve Henderson. Here are the details from the Phillies:

Former All-Star first baseman Wally Joyner has been hired by the Phillies as the assistant hitting coach to Steve Henderson, Manager Charlie Manuel and Senior Vice President & General Manager Ruben Amaro Jr. jointly announced today.
This will be Joyner’s second stint on a major league coaching staff. He previously served as the San Diego Padres hitting coach during parts of the 2007 and 2008 seasons, as well as a roving minor league instructor for the club for five years (2003-07). During the last four years, Joyner has worked as the lead hitting instructor for MLB International’s Elite-level development programs in Italy and Brazil. He spent this past year at MLB’s European Hitting Camp in the Netherlands working with hitters selected by the MLB Scouting Bureau. Joyner was also named the hitting coach for the China Senior National Team in the World Baseball Classic.

Joyner, 50, played 16 seasons in the major leagues with the California/Anaheim Angels (1986-91; 2001), Kansas City Royals (1992-95), Padres (1996-99) and Atlanta Braves (2000). He finished his career with a .289 batting average, 409 doubles, 204 home runs and 1,106 RBI in 2,033 games. In his rookie year of 1986, Joyner was elected as the starting first baseman for the American League All-Star team and finished second in AL Rookie of the Year balloting.

Joyner, along with Henderson, will take over for Greg Gross who didn’t do very much during his tenure here. The move to a former all-star and a guy with a lengthy major league career is a great one (not to mention a guy that looked like a teenager throughout his playing days). During the course of his 16 seasons in the majors, Joyner was able to go from a power hitter to a lighter-hitting corner infielder without incident. He’ll need to impart that wisdom on some guys within the Phillies organization. He’ll also be joining some pretty good company in Ryne Sanberg and Charlie Manuel as guys who love to teach and talk hitting. Joyner’s presence should hopefully add a new wrinkle to what was a stale regime. It’s hard to say whether or not he’ll pay dividends, but all-in-all, on the surface, it appears to be a fine move.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
I have been reading that Amaro isnt that high on Cloyd and that Ruf really doesnt have a place here. In fact Ruf who is playing in the Venezualian(sp?) league isnt even playing LF and the phils have no control over that. I cant understand why they would send him to a place to play winter ball and not control him playing LF. Did I tell you I dont like Amaro?

Now Galvis is hitting quite well down there which is a great sign. Gillis is playing really well in the Arizona league that is going on right now.

So it seems the phils would be willing to trade Cloyd, Pettibone, Ruf, Valle amongst others to fill some positions they need. I do not want any of that to happen. The only exception might be Valle, where the phils have Joseph in the trade with the Giants and a Clearwater catcher who has been playing quite well and who they say has more upside than the other two.

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
I had heard Matt Stairs and Mike Sweeney's name thrown around as the assistant, guess they went in another direction.

Hopefully Galvis comes back strong, but if he does where will he play? Are they trying him at 3B? Amaro already said that Rollins and Utley are not going to be playing 3rd so not sure where he fits in next year. I agree to hold on to Ruf, Cloyd and Joseph. Anyone else would be expendable to me. Our pitching isn't getting any younger and there is alot of money tied up there so if something is gonna happen its gotta happen soon.

They better not go anywhere near A-Rod either...rumors floating that the Yankees are willing to pick up $90 million of the $114 million he's owed over the next 5 years, but he is NOT the answer here

Last edited:

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
Out of the 3 you said you wouldnt touch, you missed the most important one in Pettibone. This kid is going to be good and probably a number 2 starter. More young arms on the way with great potential. If this league has learned anything it is that young arms are a premium and should be handled as such.

I did read someone mention Arod and that if the yanks picked up close to 100 mil they might be interested. Please stay away, the contract is for 5 years. Send him back to Miami where he is from and let him hit on all the girls he wants while in the dugout. He would be a cancer to this team.

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
Out of the 3 you said you wouldnt touch, you missed the most important one in Pettibone. This kid is going to be good and probably a number 2 starter. More young arms on the way with great potential. If this league has learned anything it is that young arms are a premium and should be handled as such.

I did read someone mention Arod and that if the yanks picked up close to 100 mil they might be interested. Please stay away, the contract is for 5 years. Send him back to Miami where he is from and let him hit on all the girls he wants while in the dugout. He would be a cancer to this team.
You are right i meant to say keep Pettibone no idea why i typed in Cloyd. Cloyd looked decent last year but I don't know how he is going to do in the majors long term throwing an 89 mph fastball. I think he is well-liked by scouts though so he could be good trade baqit to improve the OF or third base

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
Some sports writer in NY thinks the phils should trade Ruf for Granderson, who is one of three players they are trying to dump

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Yeah, I heard that. No thanks. The Grandy man strikes out as
much as the Great Ape. They need to get younger. That's not
the right move IMO.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Some sports writer in NY thinks the phils should trade Ruf for Granderson, who is one of three players they are trying to dump

That was John Harper of the Daily news. I dont like Grandy and I didnt think this would be a good deal for the yankees. Ruf is a nice player. But he's 26 years old and was in double A. So those numbers cold be slightly inflated. I dont think it's a good deal for either club.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
Imo it is a bad deal for philly. They dont need a left handed bat or a guy who struck out 195 times last year(they have enough of that thank you). Now he did have a great season the year before but if the Yanks thought that he would go back to that they would never ever think about something like this. So what does that tell you.

Ruf is an unknown that had a tremendous year last year with a great two weeks playing in the bigs. He could be the real deal but another good season probably in aaa will be needed. The numbers arent inflated at all you just cant project them to happen in the bigs. I want the phils to get younger and do it with as many of their prospects as possible. I am tired of them going after 30+ somethings in trades or FA and watch them not produce.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Imo it is a bad deal for philly. They dont need a left handed bat or a guy who struck out 195 times last year(they have enough of that thank you). Now he did have a great season the year before but if the Yanks thought that he would go back to that they would never ever think about something like this. So what does that tell you.

Ruf is an unknown that had a tremendous year last year with a great two weeks playing in the bigs. He could be the real deal but another good season probably in aaa will be needed. The numbers arent inflated at all you just cant project them to happen in the bigs. I want the phils to get younger and do it with as many of their prospects as possible. I am tired of them going after 30+ somethings in trades or FA and watch them not produce.
Ruff's numbers arent inflated in a PCL type of way or Colorado way. He's 26 years old and then average age for Double A players is 22. So he has a bit of an advantage over those players. Plus players usually hit their peak at 26 or 27. Ryan Howard started his career late since he was blocked by thome. But he had already won ROY and an MVP at the same age as Ruff. Ruff might do well for them for a season or two. But I can't see him being the long term answer for them.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
Ruff's numbers arent inflated in a PCL type of way or Colorado way. He's 26 years old and then average age for Double A players is 22. So he has a bit of an advantage over those players. Plus players usually hit their peak at 26 or 27. Ryan Howard started his career late since he was blocked by thome. But he had already won ROY and an MVP at the same age as Ruff. Ruff might do well for them for a season or two. But I can't see him being the long term answer for them.

True but define long term. There isnt much of that anymore with one team. If he ever produced 4-5 decent to good seasons for them I would be happy. Guys are now playing till their late 30's so being 26 doesnt bother me that much. The fact that he got his act together this year with the help of a coach who just got promoted to the bigs and has now been doing it in 3 different leagues gives me hope. You cant find a stud in every player but a serviceable player leading to a much better player is the key. Besides he bats right handed and that is something this team needs in a big way.

As far as Howard goes, yes he won those things but then has never adjusted. Hence the reason his average plummeted and his strikeouts skyrocketed. So now he is good for about 30-40 homers(which is great), 100+ rbi's(which is great), 175+ strikeouts(which sucks), below average fielder(which sucks). I also dont think Howard would have had more than one year if Thome wasnt at first anyway. He also had the benefit of a lack of success by the club for a long while, something many of their prospects havent had and a reason we havent seen many of them come up.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
True but define long term. There isnt much of that anymore with one team. If he ever produced 4-5 decent to good seasons for them I would be happy. Guys are now playing till their late 30's so being 26 doesnt bother me that much. The fact that he got his act together this year with the help of a coach who just got promoted to the bigs and has now been doing it in 3 different leagues gives me hope. You cant find a stud in every player but a serviceable player leading to a much better player is the key. Besides he bats right handed and that is something this team needs in a big way.

As far as Howard goes, yes he won those things but then has never adjusted. Hence the reason his average plummeted and his strikeouts skyrocketed. So now he is good for about 30-40 homers(which is great), 100+ rbi's(which is great), 175+ strikeouts(which sucks), below average fielder(which sucks). I also dont think Howard would have had more than one year if Thome wasnt at first anyway. He also had the benefit of a lack of success by the club for a long while, something many of their prospects havent had and a reason we havent seen many of them come up.

I define long term as 4 or 5 years. So similar to you. I dont mean long term like jeter on the yankees or ripken on the orioles. If Ruff comes up some time next season he will be 27. The one thing ive read in scouting reports. Ruf cheats to handle fastballs. And has problems with curveballs.And he wont hit for a high avg in the bigs. But he should be able to have some nice pop. SO im noit sure that he will be able to get away with that stuff in the bigs. And he isnt very athletic. So not sure about him in LF for the whole season in the bigs. If they put him in LF. I hope they have someone with amazing range in CF.

As for Howard. I just used him as an example. Since he started his career late and Ruf would start his career a few years later then Howard. That's all.

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
They picked up the option on Chooch. He'll make five million next year. Good for him.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
There would have been a riot if they didnt pickup his option

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
(Reading, Pa.)---As part of its rebranding process, the Reading Phillies, Double-A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies, announced on Sunday that the franchise would be changing its team name after 46 years.

The franchise's new name, logo, and jerseys will be unveiled at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, November 17th at the Name Change Announcement to be held at FirstEnergy Stadium. The event will run 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

"Since 1967, the Reading Phillies have been proud affiliates of the Philadelphia Phillies," said Reading General Manager Scott Hunsicker. "Our relationship is the longest affiliation in the minor leagues and there has never been a better time to be a Phillies affiliate.. Considering the heritage and fun nature of Baseballtown, our entire front office is extremely anxious to unveil and share our new name with everyone on November 17th."

Fans will have the chance to be the first to find out the new name and rebranding information by signing up for the newly-launched Baseballtown Insider. The Baseballtown Insider is catered to fans who want to receive breaking news about everything Baseballtown before it is released to anyone outside the organization. Subscribers to the newsletter will also receive special discounts and additional perks just for signing up. Those interested can register here.

Members of the Baseballtown Insider will receive the rebranding details prior to being announced at the event on November 17th. In addition, only Baseballtown Insiders will be invited to the Name Change Announcement.

The Name Change Announcement will be held in VIST Bank Plaza at FirstEnergy Stadium on Saturday, November 17th and is only open to those who subscribe to the Baseballtown Insider. Additionally, members of the newsletter will receive FREE hot dogs, hot chocolate, and soda throughout the event.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Phillies tree lighting in front of the Bank Park will be
on Saturday Dec 15th. Time not announced yet.
We'll be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.