Philly Hoagies & Cheese Steaks in NYC?

RMPGP

Feb 16, 2006
Anyone know of a place in NYC that has GOOD AUTHENTIC Philly style hoagies and cheese steaks? Looking for Geno's in NYC basically.

CruelCircus

More trouble than it's worth.
Jul 25, 2005
Long Island, NY
There's a place called Carl's on 3rd avenue around 32nd-33rd that claims to be authentic. Supposedly, the guy's from Philly and they even get Amoroso rolls trucked up. I believe there's also a small walkup joint near Times Square, 7th in the high 40's/low 50's? Haven't had a chance to try either yet, though.

Geno's sucks, by the way. Alright, it doesn't suck, but Pat's is better, and Jim's on South Street beats them both.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I remember Jim's on South... back when I took the ferry. Mmmmm makes me hungry.. think I'll take the boat around next time I'm in NYC.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
they even get Amoroso rolls trucked up.
That sounds like the best place to start. I've lived all over the country and never have I had a sun/hoagie with bread as good as the stuff in Philly. Every time I go home, I have to get a few

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
You think that shit is hard to find in NY? Try finding it in Seattle.....

Though you people put wierd shit on them.

Ren5150

Linger Longerer
Aug 1, 2001
Never found a good one in NY and lived there 32 years.

Live and work in South NJ now, wow, these things are good. White House in AC, that bread you Philly people rant about was very good. Jims on South St in Philly I am told is far better than Pats or Geno's.

Slow Bollards

Bollards...sounds a bit rude, doesn't it?
Apr 28, 2005
SILLY-delphia!
What a spoiled Philly cunt i am. Amoroso's is shit compared to Conshohocken Bakery or Corropolese in Norristown. Even right off the truck Amorosos taste and feel day old to me.

It makes me sad that 9/10ths of the citizens in our fine nation have to suffer through life with shitty bread products.

ChimneyFish

They ruined my childhood
Sep 10, 2005
Tien's Landing
Geno's sucks, by the way. Alright, it doesn't suck, but Pat's is better, and Jim's on South Street beats them both.
Jims on South St in Philly I am told is far better than Pats or Geno's.
Amoroso's is shit compared to Conshohocken Bakery or Corropolese in Norristown. Even right off the truck Amorosos taste and feel day old to me.
This thread should be retitled "The Truth, The Whole Truth And Nothing But The Truth".

:icon_cool

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
No such thing as a good steak in New York, just like you can't get New York pizza in Philly. I don't know what it is but the few times I've been in New York I couldn't find a decent steak or hoagie.

And Jim's, Geno's and Pat's are all pretty damn good.

ChimneyFish

They ruined my childhood
Sep 10, 2005
Tien's Landing
I forget to mention the only place that might be just as good, if not better, than Jim's.

Pudge's

http://www.pudgessteaks.com/

Take a gander at the loveliness at the top of the page.(Don't worry, I don't do the whole "meatspin" type gimmick)

You know you want one of those bad boys.

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
I think that place closed down.
I think so too since Tony Luke's website makes no mention of it.
It does not exist anymore. And it wasn't even close to the original Tony Luke's when it did exist. No good cheese steaks in NYC. The closest to NY with a good steak is from the grease trucks at Rutgers probably.

ChimneyFish

They ruined my childhood
Sep 10, 2005
Tien's Landing
For what it's worth, here's Glen Macnow's rundown of cheesesteaks in the Philly area.
Pat's and Geno's are deservedly low.
http://www.610wip.com/pages/351421.php
From Glen's review:

"This 30-year-old Montgomery County standard was a favorite with listeners posting comments on our website. “If you don’t try Pudge’s,” one wrote, “your entire Cheesesteak Challenge is a fraud.”

Love it.:icon_razz

dolemyte

Tiger = Wesley Pipes
Feb 27, 2008
BX
I think that place closed down.

Still open as of about 9 months ago... used to go to the dive next door to drink after work...

Havent been in 9 months

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
From Glen's review:

"This 30-year-old Montgomery County standard was a favorite with listeners posting comments on our website. “If you don’t try Pudge’s,” one wrote, “your entire Cheesesteak Challenge is a fraud.”

Love it.:icon_razz
That review is almost right, but the guy doesn't get whiz on his steaks. That makes him a shitdick.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
That review is almost right, but the guy doesn't get whiz on his steaks. That makes him a shitdick.
Whiz on a steak is ass. Good article though. I never tried John's or Steve's but I have had Chink's and in my opinion is is by far the best. I will have to try the top two now to see how they compare.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
There was a kid a Rutgers when I was there who did his Senior Thesis on the Philly Cheese Steak/ NY Bagel Line and how it translated political views and voting trends..without the politics..he correctly identified that:
1) You are hard pressed to find a really good and true Philly Cheese Steak North of New Brunswick Nj.
2) You are hard pressed to find a really good and true Bagel South of New Brunswick NJ.
Fucker got an A+ for the course..

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
The best steaks are Tony Luke's in the city but if you feel brave go to the other Jim's steaks on 61st and Noble in West Philly. Sure, you're the only white person in there, but they have really good cheesteaks, better than Jims on South Street.

Lil'GlubGlub

You may call me Chef Glub
Sep 3, 2004
near philly
What a spoiled Philly cunt i am. Amoroso's is shit compared to Conshohocken Bakery or Corropolese in Norristown. Even right off the truck Amorosos taste and feel day old to me.

It makes me sad that 9/10ths of the citizens in our fine nation have to suffer through life with shitty bread products.

Conshohocken bakery is definately better than amoroso. I have worked in a few kitchens that refuse to get Amoroso, because the go stale faster and half the time, they bust open on you when you try to fill it.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
There was a kid a Rutgers when I was there who did his Senior Thesis on the Philly Cheese Steak/ NY Bagel Line and how it translated political views and voting trends..without the politics..he correctly identified that:
1) You are hard pressed to find a really good and true Philly Cheese Steak North of New Brunswick Nj.
2) You are hard pressed to find a really good and true Bagel South of New Brunswick NJ.
Fucker got an A+ for the course..
does this mean that New Brunswick Nj is the best place on earth to live? aside from the other citizens?:action-sm