Phone Wiring Help at NID/Demarc (Long w/ Pics)

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Maybe there are some phone installers who can help me out:

Customer I do work for has 4 lines and a Fax, totalling 5. I believe they tie into some type of phone system, but Im not sure. Each phone takes 2 phone lines 1/2 and 3/4.

I had Verizon DSL come out and install DSL. They came out on Tuesday and installed the DSL, but I wasnt there. I was told it was ran to POST 4 on the Demarc.

Well I get there today and checked out the Demarc. After that I noticed line 3 was out. Right off the bat it seemed 2 wires were disconnected and one of the screw downs was lose. The customer said she thinks it wasnt working earlier that day as well.

So here's some pics of what I see:

The jack labeled "2" was tagged with the new DSL installation. I went thru the other jacks and labeled them as you can see with the sharpie marker. Below the DSL (2) Jack are lines 4, 1, 2, FAX. 3 is missing. Im thinking the installer took the frist jack which was 3 and made it the DSL.

Also, what is above thats labeled (1)? If you squeeze the black clasps the door opens.

Coming in from the pole outside are 2 thick wires. One is thick white (2) with 10 wires, 8 being used and tied to some of the right side posts on the demarc. 2 wires are bent back and the ends cut.

The other black (1) is a flat cable with 4 wires, 2 being used and 2 were just hanging off with the wire stripped back, seeming like they were connected because one was "resting" against one of the posts. I believe these 2 wires hook into the jack that was tagged as DSL.

And finally, the first pic (1) on the other side there are 2 wires that run down into the cat5 wire and go.

Last thing that may be important to mention, is that the voice lines are provided by AT&T and the DSL by Verizon.

So can anybody make sense of this? And maybe tell me why #3 wouldnt be working.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
um you paid to have it installed, they fucked it up. call them and raise hell, those fuckers use "contract" help all the time and there a bunch of stupid monkeys, call verizon and tell them you want someone out there first thing in the morning, there's no reason you should have to fix there fuck up.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
um you paid to have it installed, they fucked it up. call them and raise hell, those fuckers use "contract" help all the time and there a bunch of stupid monkeys, call verizon and tell them you want someone out there first thing in the morning, there's no reason you should have to fix there fuck up.
Yeah, I know, but Im not 100% it was their fault. I *may* have knocked a wire, but I really dont think I did. The woman thinks the line was fucked up earlier that day.

Plus I want to get familiar with this dmark because I have to find the DSL posts and run a line do the server room where the modem and router are.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
When I look at what other phone companies work with and leave...I just want to shake my head. There's really no reason why they have to make everything look so disorganized and confusing. It's not hard to route and tag things. And it'd be nice if they actually have a box that left room for slack.

Anyways....

Position 1 is probably a DSL/POTS splitter. You know DSL works over a POTS line. Is the DSL supposed to be on line 3? The whole right side of the box is the phone company access side. You're not supposed to mess with anything on that side. You're supposed to connect your inside wiring to the lugs on the far left.

It's hard to tell from the pics because it's a really sloppy routing job.

Edit: I don't know about position 1 still. I have no clue what Verizon uses and I haven't seen anything like it before. But either 1 or 2 is line 3.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Oh, and FWIW...that's a 6pr self supporting aerial wire and a 2pr aerial service wire. you should see 12 conductors on the fat one. It goes generally Blue/white, Orange/white, Green/white, Brown/white, Slate/white, and then Blue/red. So you got 6 pairs/12 conductors, not 10.

Not sure why they needed 8pairs to a box that can only hold 6 lines. I guess they had issues with the original and rather than replace it they just ran more pairs to get it working.

It looks like 1st position is run to Br/W and the 2nd position is set to Bl/R. Everything seems to have something laid to it.

Edit: So I don't post a third time. The thin white wire attached to the Fax line and Cat5 is an alarm wire. The alarm technician attached it to the ground wire. That's retarded work. The ground should be given some space and nothing attached specifically to it if possible. The purpose of the ground is to take the hit. Running something parallel to it directly attached to it isn't helpful.

This is the type of work you see nowadays though.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Position 1 is probably a DSL/POTS splitter. You know DSL works over a POTS line. Is the DSL supposed to be on line 3?
The DSL line is what they called a dry loop line, meaning there's no dial tone associated with it, but there is a DSL Phone Number. Line 3 should be completely seperate.

So you got 6 pairs/12 conductors, not 10.
Yeah, there's 12 conductors, 10 of them are used. the remaining 2 arent connected to anything. Looks like they never were.

The black line contains 4 wires, 2 are used, 2 are not, but the ends were stripped in a hook shape, so it looks like they were hooked up. The 2 wires that are connected go to the (2) label, which was tagged as DSL. Do you think the Verizon guy just ran that thick black line in when he did the install?

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
That is real slop work on the NID.

If you could... ID the lines with a test/butt set or any SLT, you can plug directly in to the RJ's they have.

If you are not familiar with phone work, or do not have the correct equipment to test, then I would have the provider (Verizon) come back out, ID all the lines and tag them accordingly. You do not have to do any work on their side at all, as MrBogey said too.

You should be able to open the customer access side, see the lines labeled/tagged clearly and connect to the screw terminals for the appropriate lines.

P.S. - then kick the alarm guy in the teeth too.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Ugh. When I see stuff like this it makes me cringe. But, everything seems to have been identified and whatnot. No need for me to chime in at this point.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
It's not unheard of for a tech to steal a pair. Call the trouble office and demand a dispatch out to identify line 3.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Verizon is a bunch of jerkoffs. They wont have anybody come out to fix their fuckup, unless its related to the DSL line. Since the number that isnt working is provided by AT&T, they said they cannot send out a tech.

I talked to 4 people, 2 DSL agents and 2 repair agents - they all said the same thing. Finally, after smashing the last lady, Im waiting for a supervisor :rolleyes:

Verizon is a piece of shit company.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
When I worked for Vonage, I did PatBattle (Linglolz longlolz....) with those fucktards at Verizon every fucking day. They were abominable. Bunch of douchebags who hear "Vonage" and immediately go into spinchter clench mode.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
P.S. - then kick the alarm guy in the teeth too.
QFT. What a butcher. He didn't even push his 4 conductor through the grommet?? What, didn't have the extra 4 seconds?

Alarm guy took the fax line on his red/green and the alarm system interrupts the line if need be. Alarm guy's yellow/black comes back and splices to the pair that goes to the fax machine.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
QFT. What a butcher. He didn't even push his 4 conductor through the grommet?? What, didn't have the extra 4 seconds?

Alarm guy took the fax line on his red/green and the alarm system interrupts the line if need be. Alarm guy's yellow/black comes back and splices to the pair that goes to the fax machine.
oh dear lord, you know that four seconds equals a million dollars if stretched over 2500 man hours....... i work with two slobs like that and it drives me to the shrink every thursday

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
the second slot was probably your 3rd line. I'd call the installer/verizon.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I thought the supervisor was going to help me until he put us on 3-way with this cunt from repair. Again, she said I have to call the carrier of the line (Telepath, never heard of them) and they will contact Verizon if need be.

Ugh...

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I thought the supervisor was going to help me until he put us on 3-way with this cunt from repair. Again, she said I have to call the carrier of the line (Telepath, never heard of them) and they will contact Verizon if need be.

Ugh...
Customers usually don't have any relationship with 'carriers'. I wouldn't put up with that shit. They're passing the buck.

Ren5150

Linger Longerer
Aug 1, 2001
Customers usually don't have any relationship with 'carriers'. I wouldn't put up with that shit. They're passing the buck.

Yes they do. Numerous businesses get their services via an alternate carrier. The service rides on Verizons cables but is billed to and supported on the users end by the alternate carrier.

Blazin, VZ isnt all bad, trust me, but that work is awful. I know it can sometimes be difficult to get a helpful rep on the line but this does indeed deserve a tech visit to ID whats what, remove whats unused and clean up what will stay. PM me if you need any further help.

Ren5150

Linger Longerer
Aug 1, 2001
When I worked for Vonage, I did PatBattle (Linglolz longlolz....) with those fucktards at Verizon every fucking day. They were abominable. Bunch of douchebags who hear "Vonage" and immediately go into spinchter clench mode.
$58 million please.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
You can thank Judge Greene for this mess. :)
To be fair, he was only a patsy for greedy corporate interests that saw the huge profits that they could gleem if they could cause a schizm between business, toll, and local phone service. MCI made billions in the ensuing break-up and it's been a race to the bottom ever since.

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
When I had my DSL hooked up, they didn't do anything in or on the house hookups. I am assuming they did something to at the box up on the corner of the street. Then they gave me a bunch of line filters to install on the actual phone jacks in the house. I has to install these on any phone jack in the house that I didnt want to use for the DSL. I cant figure out why they would have screwed with the wiring in your house.