Physics - Peeing in a train.

Shpadoinkle

Jan 6, 2006
For the people into physics out there, I have a question. I know that if you throw a ball out of a car it will go as fast as the car is going + as fast as I threw the ball.

So with this in mind, if I'm taking a piss, the train is going 60 MPH, and I am facing the front of the train, does that mean my urine is going 60 MPH + to reach the bowl? Or would that only be the case if I was peeing outside of the train?

Dec 9, 2004
Baton Rouge
Technically you are peeing at the speed that the earth is moving through space.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
For the people into physics out there, I have a question. I know that if you throw a ball out of a car it will go as fast as the car is going + as fast as I threw the ball.

So with this in mind, if I'm taking a piss, the train is going 60 MPH, and I am facing the front of the train, does that mean my urine is going 60 MPH + to reach the bowl? Or would that only be the case if I was peeing outside of the train?
If you're inside of the train pissing in the direction that the train is traveling then your urine will be traveling at the same speed as it travels in any other restroom. So, I guess it would be going at about 10mph give or take.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
It's all relative.

Relative to the ground it is going 60mph + the speed of pee.
Relative to space it is going the speed of the rotation of the earth +- (0 to 60mph) _+ (0 to the speed of pee)
Relative to the train it is going the speed of pee

The reason why the middle equation is 0 to 60 instead of just 60 is because it depends on the direction the train is going relative to the rotation of the earth.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La

Where is the observer?

You can only compare speeds. Generally we use a geocentric model when talking about speed. To an outside observer your pee would be moving as fast as the train. To you your pee would be moving at slow speeds.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
So wait, I am heading West on a train going 120 mph, I take a leak facing East..Average rate of pee is... say 10 mph, Earth rotation is 1000 mph...so my pee is going technically 1130? (playing Devils Advocate)

generoso

Blueberry Coffee diva.
Aug 5, 2004
Long Island ,NY
So wait, I am heading West on a train going 120 mph, I take a leak facing East..Average rate of pee is... say 10 mph, Earth rotation is 1000 mph...so my pee is going technically 1130? (playing Devils Advocate)
Tachinally yes , But once the pee leaves your body it will face the resistance of wind. now if you were in a perfect vacuum of space you would never get pee in the face. But because the pee will succumb to the air resistance of 110 mph it doesn't carry enough energy to win that battle. Hence you get a good tatse of your own as Norton would say " Goodness"

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
You forgot to factor in the movement of the Earth around the sun and the movement of the sun around the galactic core.