Picked up an old Hofner guitar, need info on it

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Gentlemen,

I picked up a Hofner solid body electric, I believe it's a Galaxie model 175 or 176. Not entirely sure, as I can't find any model info on it. Thing is, it's in shit condition, and I want to restore it. I need a pickguard for it, and a tremelo bar, couldn't hurt to get the pickups either serviced or replaced too. So I'm hoping any of you guys would know a place to get reasonable prices on replacement parts, no need to be original, as I don't think it'll ever be worth much money.

I also need to get my hands on a wiring diagram for it, but I'm not sure exactly what this is so I'm sorta floundering here.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Can you give us a clear close-up picture of the headstock as well as clear close-up pictures of any identifying markings or numbers? We need as many pictures of it as you can give us so we can get a good look at it's overall design.

At first glance, it's obviously an off-brand guitar. It looks like a Stratocaster knock-off. The switch/control lay-out is very out-dated. The pick-ups seem to be somewhat modern in their design (meaning they don't look pre-Les Paul or something like that).

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Dude, it's not a knockoff, it's a vintage Hofner. They were pretty important in the day; the Beatles made them popular. This was obviously designed to evoke the strat vibe, because that was what all the american guitars were gravitating toward at the time.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Dude, it's not a knockoff, it's a vintage Hofner. They were pretty important in the day; the Beatles made them popular. This was obviously designed to evoke the strat vibe, because that was what all the american guitars were gravitating toward at the time.
I didn't mean "knock-off" in the fake Rolex sense of the word. I meant it in the "superstrat" sense. Like you said, it was obviously designed to resemble a Strat,

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Is that like a snakeskin paintjob? Very nice. Yeah, some close ups of the headstock would be good. Try to find a serial number somewhere (could even be under one of the back plates that cover the electronics). Looks like you got a selector switch that splits the humbuckers and stuff. Seems like a nice guitar.

EDIT: I think it's a 175. Looks like the 176 came with a different fretboard design. Also, you really have a shitload of customizing switches and dials on that thing. Very cool.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
There's some marking in colored pencil, but it's not a serial number; they stopped putting sn's on their products somewhere in the early 70's. The covering is actually a fake snake skin, not paint. It's a shame it's in such rough shape.

Here's a couple of closeups:

As you can see by that last pic, the pickguard is shot to shit, and all cracked around the jack. Also, there's a shit ton of rust all over it. I was thinking of trying to rewrap the pickups myself; I found a couple of websites about restoring these guitars. My biggest problem is the busted pickguard. Can't find a single source of replacements. Like I said, I doubt it'll ever be worth much in the shape it's in, so I'm not too concerned about orignal parts, but I can't find shit for replacements.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I'd definitely call this a 175/176 (I can't really find outwardly visible differences between the two). And you are right about the finish. It is really nice but shows its age. However, I can't tell by the picture if that would still be vintage acceptable. If you are having it redone make sure to ask the guy if the original finish is worth keeping for vintage value.

For comparison, here is a 175:

And here is a 176:

Stig

Making America So Great You Won't Believe It.
Jul 26, 2005
NH
Those old Hofners are pretty cool. The Strat-like ones always had weird plastic (vinyl) finishes like that. Those models will never be worth what the Beatle Basses are, but they're fun.
I'm sure that if you look around, there's probably a Hofner message board where people could give you tips on restoring that thing.
Maybe start here:
http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/hofner2/links.html

Stig

Jul 26, 2005
NH
go here and check out section 5 of the catalog.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
I can't seem to find the pickguard though; that's the one thing that really sucks on this guitar. I picked it up for $20 so I'm not sweating getting it up & running too much, though I do have to admit I'd like to see what she sounds like. I've heard good things about these guitars.

Stig

Jul 26, 2005
NH
I can't seem to find the pickguard though; that's the one thing that really sucks on this guitar. I picked it up for $20 so I'm not sweating getting it up & running too much, though I do have to admit I'd like to see what she sounds like. I've heard good things about these guitars.
I know a guy on a guitar forum who makes pickguards. He could probably make you one if you send him the original to trace, but I doubt he could re-create the text on it.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I'd have someone fabricate the missing piece as opposed to replace the whole thing.. You have almost all of the original, and the replacement piece is down at the bottom and not too critical.

EDIT: Make that 2 pieces... The second one is a bit rougher because there's nowhere to anchor it...

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
The plate was supposed to be in one piece; so there really is no replacing the missing piece. I was doing a little research on fabricating my own replacement using the orignal as a template; the material is fairly cheap, and it seems it can be done with a simple router & a band saw. (Granted, I'd have to buy these tools, but I wanted to start a tool collection anyway.)