OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Piggy got a record player!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Pigdango, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Pigdango

Pigdango Silence, you mortal Fuck!
    Donator

I got the record player as a gift so it’s not a good one I’m sure. There’s not even a “line out” thing to attach speakers to, so I’ve got it hooked up to my Sonos Play 5 by the headphone jack. Sounds pretty good to me.

@DiggerNick Sabbath is definitely on my list, was just trying to pick which album. I had Paranoid in my hand the other day.

2. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

3. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter.

I haven't had a record player in years but I recall Rush - Hemispheres being pretty spectacular.

Pigdango likes this.
  4. Queen_Bona

Queen_Bona Registered User

I inherited a small collection of 50s vinyl singles. Among them there was this "record yourself" disc with one side written. I played and it's very hard to hear anything until the end, where a bunch of people start singing on the top of their lungs. Creepy.

The Trashmen "Surfing Bird" is a really cool album to listen to.
    [​IMG]

I also recommend Gershwin's music. It's really cool on vinyl.

5. THE FEZ MAN

This isn’t me, but it’s the record player I have, eventually if I “stick with it” I will buy a good one

6. goat999

goat999 town drunk

Whatever, darkie.

Falldog, Mags, d0uche_n0zzle and 3 others like this.
  7. gorram

gorram ;)

Wasn't Optimus a Radio Shack brand? I think Realistic was their other.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  8. THE FEZ MAN

Yes Optimus was radio shacks “high end” audio back in the day, realistic was their “normal” equipment, shockingly RadioShack used to put out good products, and provide good customer service, they just couldn’t keep up with bestbuy and the inter webs.
    The record player I have was part of an old school “component” system from either the late 80’s early 90’s My buddy scrounged out of the trash back in the late 90’s I think it was my 30th birthday gift from him, the Indian giver was sniffing around it the other day when I gave him my VS 120s, and my old duel cassette tape player, well I traded him a bottle of captan Morgan, those speakers were $250 each back in 1992 when I bought them and a decent pair still goes for $50-100 each on eBay

gorram likes this.
  9. Pigdango

Pigdango Silence, you mortal Fuck!
    Donator

I grabbed Signals and Grace Under Pressure last night. I’ll add Hemispheres to the list.

ruckstande likes this.
  10. gorram

gorram ;)

Not sure about the record players, but the Optimus stereo "receivers" were made by Pioneer I think.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  11. ruckstande

Yeah, I remember listening to LaVilla Strangiato when no one was in the house as loud as I could. If only I smoked weed I'd have enjoyed it that much more.

Pigdango likes this.
  12. ruckstande

If radio shack knew how to utilize the web it would have been a great store. However their dependence on the box stores and forcing the prices up on their most trivial shit killed them.

Edit: I actually discovered they do have a website. Imagine my surprise. I thought this was neat.
    https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-dice-kit

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  13. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    Wackbag Staff

14. Queen_Bona

Queen_Bona Registered User

Yeah. John Waters ruined that song for me.

15. THE FEZ MAN

Part of the reason they stuck with brick and mortar so long was they (at one time) were basically everywhere and, had everything, when I was a kid, if you needed or wanted anything “electronic” or radio related you went to RadioShack I still have several police scanners that my dad bought there and one I still use daily and bags of electronics “stuff” (resistors etc) that I picked up when they were going out of business, even till the very end, I was a “loyal” RadioShack customer, I would always go there first before going to Best Buy for almost everything that wasn’t a TV, I also had until recently a 1960’s realistic “HiFi” stereo / early “head unit” it was basically just a receiver with a few aux inputs, and, I still have and was using for a long time a switching preamp which worked great with my old realistic turn table, the turn tables needed preamps to work with my old receiver, and even my 5 disc changer, hence the switch. I wish I had a photo of my old “HiFi” it was my dad’s old realistic stereo receiver, my turn table, a “car disc man” the preamp and 4 old realistic speakers, two with 12” boxes (8” just speaker) and two 6” boxes (4” just speaker) a tape recorder that was also a realistic (single tape with a speaker that ran on 6d batteries for about 90 minutes if I played it real low, but my father took pity on me and actually bought the ac adapter, he was cheep and got tired of buying me batteries, which I am convinced were made of gold)
    And I’m sure it sounded like shit.

JoeyDVDZ and ruckstande like this.
  16. THE FEZ MAN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My retro 1985 Entertainment Center almost complete, still need to mount the Center speaker.

Sony CDP-cx335, Optimus Lab-2250 linear tracking turn table, Denon AVR-2802, Mirage satellite speakers.
    The junk on the bottom shelf is just junk, power strip, cable box ps3 and an old Wii that I haven’t hooked up yet because I need another component cable.

I still think I need to get a set of monitors for my B set of speakers, the Mirage are kind of meh.

I hooked the cable box to the head unit using the optical out, but until I get the cable I can’t set up the digital I/O on the head unit, everything except the most basic of functions of the AVS is done on the TV

17. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

Check out Ebay and your local auction sites. 70-80's era stereo equipment is cheap, especially the old analog stuff. You can get decent rack system for next nothing with all the fancy noise reduction tech.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  18. THE FEZ MAN

The only problem with a lot of that stuff is the drive belts turn to goop, and the old potentiometers get dirty and make all kinds of horrific noises, oh and cockroaches, roaches LOVE old electronics.

Part of my “resurrection” was replacing the two drive belts in my CD player, shockingly it wasn’t that difficult, the door belt? Yea fuck that, the entire table has to come out and I don’t ever open that if I don’t have to... oh and yes there was 5 dead stink bugs in it

19. THE FEZ MAN

So, I’ve spent this rainy afternoon flipping switches and moving wires around, and TAAAAAAADAaAaaaa I now have the cable box working through the AVS, it actually works, apparently one of the times I reconfigured the “system” I did have two optical inputs working, I have to read the actual instructions for the AVS hopefully I can change the input names so it’s less confusing to operate, I still have one more optical in that isn’t assigned, I’m going to use that one for my TV so I can listen to the smart TV feeds (Amazon/Netflix) that’s Another cable I’m waiting for.

It sounds great even not being “tuned” watched some transformers, and now aliens, nad the surround sound is working perfectly

20. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

I was in a Barnes and Noble and they had a vinyl section. It had stuff you'd expect - Beatles, Doors, Pink Floyd- but it also had Taylor Swift and Pink. I don't know if anyone is going to be buying modern pop on vinyl or if they did why. You should @Pigdango. Get Reputation on CD, mp3 and Vinyl and compare the three. You hipster fuck.

I've thought of getting a record player. I have a couple of records that I picked up at thrift stores and garage sales that I thought looked interesting and were cheap. This is one:

[​IMG]

21. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

I've replaced a few drive belts in old Walkmen, Tapedecks. Even if you buy old stock equipment that has never been opened, the drive belts usually have disintegrated in 20 years.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  22. THE FEZ MAN

The ones I took out of my CD changer were actually like gooey the 3” diameter belt stretched lie a foot when I was playing with it then just stayed that way, the new ones were nice and springy, I also ordered two sets of them and put the spares in the bag taped to the inside with the part number, 15$ on EBay and about 40 minutes start to finish including watching a YouTube video

23. THE FEZ MAN

So, it’s always in your best interest to “read the directions”
    Yea so the component cable I was waiting on showed up right on time, god bless Amazon.

I hook everything up all easy peezy I flop on the couch, turn on the TV choose component....

No signal

I check all my connections, the TV only has one, the AVS has 2 ins, one out... I’m using the monitor out, hmmm seems fine do some giggling and wiggles, no signal.

When all else fails, read the directions.

“Please note; on screen set up menus are not transmitted from component outputs”.....

Well stupid fucking me, that explains why I had a single, long RCA video cable.....

Hooked it up to one of the single video outs and imagine that, up pops the menu, which was disappointing, only thing I could fiddle with was the digital input assignment, I thought I could change the names of the inputs but no.

$13 lesson learned, the up side is I can use the component out / in to my Wii

Hopefully tomorrow my optical cable will show up, and I can hook that up and finish my moldings to hide the wires

24. crippledalbino

crippledalbino The God of 42nd Street
    Donator

Vinyl Suggestions:
    Pink Floyd - Meddle
    Gazpacho - Night
    King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (Steven Wilson remix if possible)
    Emerson, Lake, & Palmer - Tarkus (Steven Wilson remix if possible)

Ballbuster1, THE FEZ MAN and Pigdango like this.
  25. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

I've got a whole bunch of stuff in my collection. Next time you visit the area you can peruse through it.

I run my turntable through my sound bar because A) I'm lazy as fuck B) I don't have space for an amp and a whole other set of speakers and C) It's great for annoying people who're really into vinyl.

Pigdango likes this.