Piggy Presents April Book Club: I'm Thinking of Ending Book Club by Iain Reid

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
You will be scared. But you won’t know why…

I’m thinking of ending things. Once this thought arrives, it stays. It sticks. It lingers. It’s always there. Always.

Jake once said, “Sometimes a thought is closer to truth, to reality, than an action. You can say anything, you can do anything, but you can’t fake a thought.”

And here’s what I’m thinking: I don’t want to be here.

In this deeply suspenseful and irresistibly unnerving debut novel, a man and his girlfriend are on their way to a secluded farm. When the two take an unexpected detour, she is left stranded in a deserted high school, wondering if there is any escape at all. What follows is a twisted unraveling that will haunt you long after the last page is turned.

In this smart, suspenseful, and intense literary thriller, debut novelist Iain Reid explores the depths of the human psyche, questioning consciousness, free will, the value of relationships, fear, and the limitations of solitude. Reminiscent of Jose Saramago’s early work, Michel Faber’s cult classic Under the Skin, and Lionel Shriver’s We Need to Talk about Kevin, I’m Thinking of Ending Things is an edgy, haunting debut. Tense, gripping, and atmospheric, this novel pulls you in from the very first page…and never lets you go

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I have March’s book on my iPad as well.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
@LiddyRules I was looking up best non-fiction of 2017 and ran across this...

High Noon The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic

It's one of the most revered movies of Hollywood's golden era. Starring screen legend Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly in her first significant film role, High Noonwas shot on a lean budget over just 32 days but achieved instant box-office and critical success. It won four Academy Awards in 1953, including a best actor win for Cooper. And it became a cultural touchstone, often cited by politicians as a favourite film, celebrating moral fortitude.

Yet what has been often overlooked is that High Noon was made during the height of the Hollywood blacklist, a time of political inquisition and personal betrayal. In the middle of the film shoot, screenwriter Carl Foreman was forced to testify before the House Committee on Un-American Activities about his former membership in the Communist Party. Refusing to name names, he was eventually blacklisted and fled the United States. (His coauthored screenplay for another classic, The Bridge on the River Kwai, went uncredited in 1957.) Examined in light of Foreman's testimony, High Noon's emphasis on courage and loyalty takes on deeper meaning and importance.

In this book, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Glenn Frankel tells the story of the making of a great American Western, exploring how Carl Foreman's concept of High Noon evolved from idea to first draft to final script, taking on allegorical weight. Both the classic film and its turbulent political times emerge newly illuminated.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
Liberry came through. I have it in my clutches.

Though I did start reading The Executioner's Song so I might get a little further in that before doing this fairly short one.

Pigdango

Donator

Liddy will approve of my iPad case...

Pigdango

Donator
How did you come up with this book, btw? Was it recommended to you?
Charlie Kauffman signed up to write and direct a film adaption of it. Figure even if you all hate the book, some of you will come around after the movie comes out.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I’ve listened to the audiobook twice. It was really enjoyable and I look forward to seeing people’s reactions. I won’t even bother posting spoiler reviews until people start making it through.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I’ve listened to the audiobook twice. It was really enjoyable and I look forward to seeing people’s reactions. I won’t even bother posting spoiler reviews until people start making it through.
Twice? Because it was that good or for understanding purposes?

Pigdango

Donator
I hope it’s ok, but I started reading this and am delighted to report that you guys will despise it. Especially Flash.

Pigdango

Donator
Perhaps I spoke too soon...

“Forfeiting solitude, independence, is a much greater sacrifice than most of us realize. Sharing a habitat, a life, is for sure harder than being alone. In fact, coupled living seems virtually impossible, doesn’t it? To find another person to spend all your life with? To age with and change with? To see every day, to respond to their moods and needs?”

Excerpt From: Reid, Iain. “I'm Thinking of Ending Things.” Gallery Books, 2016-06-14. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

LiddyRules

“Forfeiting solitude, independence, is a much greater sacrifice than most of us realize. Sharing a habitat, a life, is for sure harder than being alone. In fact, coupled living seems virtually impossible, doesn’t it? To find another person to spend all your life with? To age with and change with? To see every day, to respond to their moods and needs?”

Excerpt From: Reid, Iain. “I'm Thinking of Ending Things.” Gallery Books, 2016-06-14. iBooks.
Did @Jacuzzi Billy write it?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator

Smart fella.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Perhaps I spoke too soon about speaking too soon...
I've just started and I can see why you think I wouldn't like it. It could go either way. The protagonist reminds me of myself which means I'm probably going to like her but I'm definitely going to hate her.

LiddyRules

You fast readers can probably knock it out in a couple days.
That's why I'm going to get a little further in Executioner's Song first since I can probably knock this out in less than a week.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I have to be close to a quarter way in. Still no idea where it is going but I like it quite a bit. It exhibits none of the qualities I dislike.