Pilot killed after helping three passengers to make incredible escape as Goodyear

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
A Goodyear blimp burst into flames and plunged to earth in a weekend crash in Germany.

The pilot was killed but three passengers managed to jump to safety when the airship caught fire as it was coming in to land at the Reichelsheim aerodrome near Friedberg.

When the airship was just six metres from the floor, the pilot told his passengers, all journalists, to jump to the ground while he tried to land safely.

Once the three had leapt clear of the blimp he took it back up before being it became overwhelmed by flames and crashed to the earth, in a chilling echo of the Hindenburg disaster.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...year-blimp-plunges-ground-flames-Germany.html

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho

gleet

Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
What a maroon. Slowpoke.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
What a dummy, why didn't he just jump out when everyone else did?

gleet

Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
What a dummy, why didn't he just jump out when everyone else did?
Because, being a balloon,
Once the three had leapt clear of the blimp he took it back up
they jumped out and made it lighter, and it shot into the air before he could get out.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Because, being a balloon, they jumped out and made it lighter, and it shot into the air before he could get out.
I don't think that's it. Those things are huge, and it sounded to me like he was getting it away from the passengers so the resulting fire and explosion didn't get them once they were clear. Reading the article makes me lean more towards hero than dummy.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
The pilot died in a horrible blimp accident

Goodyear?

No, the worst.

I don't think that's it. Those things are huge, and it sounded to me like he was getting it away from the passengers so the resulting fire and explosion didn't get them once they were clear. Reading the article makes me lean more towards hero than dummy.
Approves.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
You'd think they would have a mechanism that allows for a rapid Helium release. Like a release valve or small handgun.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I don't think that's it. Those things are huge, and it sounded to me like he was getting it away from the passengers so the resulting fire and explosion didn't get them once they were clear.
I agree that was his intent but did you see the wreckage? It was like the size of a swimming pool, not exactly a huge obstacle for the passengers to avoid once they jumped out.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Well, he pilots the thing for a living, I'm betting he was very mindful of it's dimensions and attempting to get it to an area that was clear of all innocent bystanders in all directions.

gleet

Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Read Yeager's autobiography some time. He says whenever you read about the heroic pilot who stayed in the plane so it wouldn't crash into the schoolyard full of crippled orphan schoolchildren, you know the story is bullshit. He said in an emergency, the pilot is trying A and then B and then C to get things going again, and has no concern for the kids on the ground. He is starting on D when he runs out of altitude and time.

cosmic cow

RaMoooooone!!!
Jul 26, 2005
New Jersey
just the other day i saw a good year blimp, it was windy out, and it was pitching like crazy..... and i thought about it crashing and i said the whole ...tragic blimp accident over the superbowl thing.....and whamo I read this story

I'm like Ronnie B, I can predict things in the past...until the oracle closes.

Stig

Wackbag's New Favorite Heel
Jul 26, 2005
NH
I'd like to point out at this time that helium isn't flammable. The rubber and fuel burned, but this was no Hindenburg.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Read Yeager's autobiography some time. He says whenever you read about the heroic pilot who stayed in the plane so it wouldn't crash into the schoolyard full of crippled orphan schoolchildren, you know the story is bullshit. He said in an emergency, the pilot is trying A and then B and then C to get things going again, and has no concern for the kids on the ground. He is starting on D when he runs out of altitude and time.
I agree in a high-speed, jet powered, especially a test pilot situation. In a blimp, there was no reason to regain altitude unless he had some sort of altruistic, or possibly unbelievably stupid motives.

gleet

Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I agree in a high-speed, jet powered, especially a test pilot situation. In a blimp, there was no reason to regain altitude unless he had some sort of altruistic, or possibly unbelievably stupid motives.
Go down to the store and buy a mylar helium balloon. Cut off the big weight that comes with it and hang 4 little weights, to represent the pilot and the three passengers. Make the weights so they will cause the balloon to hover. That is how the blimp was trimmed out. Now lop off three weights representing Hansel, Gretel, and some other sausage stuffed German and see what that balloon does with just the pilot left. It rockets up to the ceiling. He had no motives at all, he had physics working against him.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
I'd like to point out at this time that helium isn't flammable. The rubber and fuel burned, but this was no Hindenburg

Disagrees!

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Go down to the store and buy a mylar helium balloon. Cut off the big weight that comes with it and hang 4 little weights, to represent the pilot and the three passengers. Make the weights so they will cause the balloon to hover. That is how the blimp was trimmed out. Now lop off three weights representing Hansel, Gretel, and some other sausage stuffed German and see what that balloon does with just the pilot left. It rockets up to the ceiling. He had no motives at all, he had physics working against him.
I don't know enough on the specific buoyancy of a blimp, but I would think that ~500 lbs in positive buoyancy wouldn't affect the trim of that massive craft all that much.

Again, I don't know enough to say that with any certainty, I just can't imagine that much weight being that detrimental. The mylar balloon analogy really doesn't hold water.