Pimp my 870

Turtle

WACKBAGGER
I bought a magazine extension for my 870 (if you need to ask, it’s a shotgun) so that it can hold 10 shells. I installed the new piece and the new spring is awful. I can run 7-8 shells (2 ¾) through but after that there is not enough tension/pressure behind the shells to feed them into the breach. Ideas?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
What barrel length are you using?

Turtle

WACKBAGGER
What barrel length are you using?
It’s the 870 Express Magnum. Not sure what the exact length is but the ext is flush with the end of the barrel.

couldn't you just simply upgrade the spring?

LBF

Easiest fix is probably going to be finding a shop/gunsmith who can find you a spring that will work.

Some of the guys I snowgoose hunt with have extensions (no limit on magazine capacity for snow geese) and several of the 870 owners have had the same problem.

MAV

i had to take a dremel to the inside catch on the fixed magazine, just on the inside there is a tab. i found that it caught the spring a little and the follower stuck on it as well. grind that outta there and it should help.

shameless 870 pic

on a side note, i got my accessories thru AdvancedTechnology

Turtle

WACKBAGGER
Easiest fix is probably going to be finding a shop/gunsmith who can find you a spring that will work.

Some of the guys I snowgoose hunt with have extensions (no limit on magazine capacity for snow geese) and several of the 870 owners have had the same problem.
Do you know if they have a hard time loading 10 shells with a "better" spring?

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Dude...I saw the sickest tactical boomstick EVA!

BRB...gotta go find it.

LBF

Do you know if they have a hard time loading 10 shells with a "better" spring?

It seemed like the last shell would be a little tougher due to the extra strength of the new spring, but nothing too severe. Keep in mind, most of these guys are using 3" or 3 1/2" shells, I believe 8 is the most they can put in a extension that is flush with the end of the barrel.

Mav's idea falls outside my realm of expertise, but it sounds like he may have a good solution.

Turtle

WACKBAGGER
i had to take a dremel to the inside catch on the fixed magazine, just on the inside there is a tab. i found that it caught the spring a little and the follower stuck on it as well. grind that outta there and it should help.

shameless 870 pic

I just checked the tab and it seems to be ok, do you have a good amount of resistance or tension when you load? I have very little, seems like less than with the 5 shell spring/magazine.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Talk about pimped out

LBF

I just checked the tab and it seems to be ok, do you have a good amount of resistance or tension when you load? I have very little, seems like less than with the 5 shell spring/magazine.
Sounds like you got a crappy spring. Any chance the manufacturer has a warranty on their parts?

Turtle

WACKBAGGER
Sounds like you got a crappy spring. Any chance the manufacturer has a warranty on their parts?
Made by Pro-Shot out of Taylorville, IL. Now I need to call them and bitch.

MAV

yeah i have a good resistance on the shells. but mine is only a 3-shot extension with a 16" barrel. and the extension came with a new spring. they may have just given you the wrong spring by accident.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
just stretch out the spring, take it out and pull it a tad, also make sure to put a little clp on the follower

Turtle

WACKBAGGER

shameless 870 pic

The pic reminds me of the tactical shotguns used by the crunchies when I was on active duty to blow the hinges off of doors. They called the guy with the shotgun the “locksmith.” Come to a locked door, bring up the “locksmith” and he blows the hinges off of the door, Boom Boom and no more locked door.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
I can't decide between an 870 or the 590A1

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Sell it and buy a Mossberg?

835 was the best gun I ever owned. Of course I'm not a huge gun guy but there's nothing like firing off a 3.5 magnum shell out of a 12 ga.

LBF

I've had a couple 870s and a couple Mossbergs (hunting versions, not tactical) and never could get used to the safety on a Mossberg. A very fine weapon, for sure, just not for me.

The Model 12 Winchester is another wonderful pump gun.

Sell it and buy a Mossberg?

835 was the best gun I ever owned. Of course I'm not a huge gun guy but there's nothing like firing off a 3.5 magnum shell out of a 12 ga.
The Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag is the best pump shotgun ever fucking made. I have fired thousands of rounds through it of all different sizes and have had it caked in mud goose hunting. Best out there.

I also have a Mossberg 500 Cruiser for the home-defense setting loaded with slugs and buckshot. It's a fucking rockstar too.

Mossberg just simply makes the best and most rugged shotguns on the market.

I'd buy the heavier Mossberg 590 but I don't really need it right now. It's nice though with it holding extra rounds inside of the stock, ghost ring sight, heavy barrel , extended mag tube and that bayonet lug.