Pittsburgh is ticketing residents for parking in their own driveways

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Pittsburgh building code officers are citing residents under an obscure and infrequently enforced ordinance that prohibits homeowners from parking in their own driveways without a $225 zoning variance and permit, two city council members said.

Residents who are ticketed typically are unaware of the ordinance until the Bureau of Building Inspection receives a complaint and notifies them, Councilman Corey O'Connor said. City officials say the ordinance has been on the books for years, and controversy crops up cyclically when officials issue citations.

BBI has cited or warned seven residents in his district on Hobart Street in Squirrel Hill, O'Connor said. Councilwoman Theresa Kail-Smith said the bureau issued 14 citations to Wind Gap residents in her district.

“When somebody's parked in their driveway for 30, 40 years and all of a sudden we're going to come out and give you a ticket, that's unfair,” O'Connor said.

Eileen Freedman, 45, and her husband parked in their Hobart Street driveway for 18 years before BBI issued a warning last month. They've since moved to a parking spot on the street.

“It's ridiculous, and it doesn't make our city look very smart,” Freedman said.

Residents must adhere to setback regulations to park in front of their home, whether it's in a driveway or “parking pad” in their yard, according to the ordinance. Setbacks are 30 feet from a property line bordering the street.

Residents must obtain a variance and permit from the city's Zoning Board of Adjustment at a cost of $225 to deviate from the ordinance.

John Jennings, acting BBI chief, said the bureau does not enforce the ordinance unless it receives a complaint. Residents first receive a warning. After that they face fines that district judges determine. Fines can run as much as $1,000, Jennings said.

“We're getting complaints from people around there who don't want people parking on the pads,” he said. “We're kind of the bad guys in the middle here.”

The Squirrel Hill Urban Coalition, a nonprofit neighborhood civic group, opposes makeshift parking pads. Coalition board member Steven Hawkins said residents have created gravel lots in front yards and dug out entire front yards for pads on which to park commercial vehicles.

“That is not the neighborhood we want,” he said.

O'Connor and Kail-Smith said they will work to enact changes that would give relief to the Freedmans and others in their predicament. They hope to have all recently issued citations invalidated.

“People should be allowed to park in their own driveway,” Kail-Smith said.

Read more: http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/4687732-74/residents-ordinance-parking#ixzz2egvCtVpJ
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I am hoping you don't have to pay this variance thingy every year... and umm wouldn't they have to pull a permit to put the pad or whatever in to start?

mrbucket75

Jan 9, 2009
GJ. CO.
if everyone just ignores the ordinance and then take them all to court in a class action they have to reverse it and if they don't then everyone needs to get shot. Stupid shit.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I'm curious how accurate the article is.

Homemade parking pads and commercial vehicles?

I'd be pissed if someone did that in my neighborhood too.

Sounds like there's more to this.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I'm curious how accurate the article is.

Homemade parking pads and commercial vehicles?

I'd be pissed if someone did that in my neighborhood too.

Sounds like there's more to this.
What does PA consider a commercial vehicle... like my chick took my truck (1/2 ton) to MA to help her friend move some brush... note I have farm plates... they guy at the recycling center in Salem almost turned them away as they were driving a "commercial" vehicle... even though I didn't have commercial plates.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Bb1 springfield is notorious for hassling people for parking "commercial" vehicles. buddy of mine had rt tags on his pick up truck and parked in his own driveway and started getting tickets

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
Where are these people supposed to park? Almost all of the streets in that area are small. If you park your car in the street it's getting destroyed by traffic.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
You don't own shit in this country, the various governments are just nice enough to let you think you do.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
if everyone just ignores the ordinance and then take them all to court in a class action they have to reverse it and if they don't then everyone needs to get shot. Stupid shit.
Jury nullification would be the way to go.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
At what point does someone get killed over this nonsense?
It happens all the time the media calls it a neighborhood dispute and a "tragic event" not " busy body dick gets his comeuppance"