Placenta eating

hotshot70

Dec 29, 2006
Iowa USA
It is considered cannibalism and is illegal in the USA. People that practice this in front of others can be brought up on criminal charges.

Aug 11, 2005
well yeah, a normal person would'nt put that shit in thier mouth.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
It is considered cannibalism and is illegal in the USA. People that practice this in front of others can be brought up on criminal charges.
Where do you get your facts sir?
When I was in ems school and we went through child birthing, the book and instructors said that if we assist a birth that we save the placenta for examination by doctors...Knowing of people that take the placenta home and save it until the child's 16th or 18th birthday and consume it, I asked the legal consul for the class about it....he said that once the doctors examine it...and no abnormalities are found, it is considered "Human Offing"(shit, piss, or puke) and thrown away, or the family can have it to dispose as they wish.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
I think when I have a child I will just save it for the stem cells and not to eat it.

cigarsandscotch

Smoke and drink up.
Jan 13, 2005
Middletown NJ
No it's not. I remember the nurse at my wife's lamaze classes saying that you can ask to have it saved, and that some people plant trees with them or even eat them. This was like 3 and a half years ago. The first thing I did when I got home was google recipes.

I had her placenta with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffffff fff ff f fff ffff.

Ack's Grl

New Wackbag
Sep 21, 2005
I had a science teacher who was so exhausted after giving birth that all she could think about was eating the placenta for the nutrients it contained. My daddy wanted to eat my placenta but my mommy kicked him out instead.

madbam

I'm on da Zoloft..........
Aug 2, 2001
Poughkeepsie, NY
I had a science teacher who was so exhausted after giving birth that all she could think about was eating the placenta for the nutrients it contained. My daddy wanted to eat my placenta but my mommy kicked him out instead.
Awwww..such a sweet story...I saw one show where the people actually fried up the placenta and ate it like skirt steak....eeeewwwwww

Nov 29, 2006
FL
When my son was born, the nurse showed us the placenta and asked if we wanted to take it home. We were taken aback by her question, and asked her why in hell we would want to take it home? She said that some people take it home and bury it in the yard or garden.

Some time later, I related this story to my grandfather and asked him if he had ever heard of this. He told me that "back in the day", babies were rarely born at hospitals and were more commonly delivered at home by midwives. The best way to dispose of the afterbirth at your home was to bury it outside, and somewhere along the line it became some kind of a symbol of good luck or prosperity (or some such shit).

Just my $.02. I have no idea why anyone would eat that shit and my grandfather passed away, so I can't ask him.:icon_conf

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Congratulations, you chose the topic that I hoped wouldn't be brought up from yesterday's show.

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
um...what the fuck. I would consider it cannibalism. I would also consider it absolutely disgusting. Is there any truth to the rumor that scientologists eat their/their wive's placenta?

izzy izkowitz

Chris Hansen is my hero
May 23, 2007
Placentophagy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Placenta eating)
Jump to: navigation, search

Mother goat eating placenta
Rat eating its offspring's placenta after birthPlacentophagy (from 'placenta' + Greek φαγειν, to eat) is the act of mammals eating the placenta of their young after childbirth.

The placenta contains high levels of prostaglandin which stimulates involution (an inward curvature or penetration, or, a shrinking or return to a former size) of the uterus, in effect cleaning the uterus out. The placenta also contains small amounts of oxytocin which eases birth stress and causes the smooth muscles around the mammary cells to contract and eject milk.

There is also a school of thought that holds that placentophagy naturally occurred to hide any trace of childbirth from predators in the wild, though the amniotic fluid not similarly ingested by the mother seems to discount this theory. Most placental mammals participate in placentophagy, including, surprisingly, herbivorous ones. Pinnipedia and Cetacea are exceptions to mammalian placentophagy, as is the camel. Placentophagy has been observed in Insectivora, Rodentia, Chiroptera, Lagomorpha, Carnivora, Perissodactyla, Artiodactyla (with the camel as a noted exception), and Primates. Marsupials, which are an order of metatherian (pouched) mammals, resorb rather than deliver the placenta, and therefore cannot engage in placentophagia; they do, however, vigorously lick birth fluids as they are excreted.[1]

The most general benefit of placentophagy, according to recent research, is that placenta and amniotic fluid contain a molecule (POEF, Placental Opioid-Enhancing Factor) that modifies the activity of endogenous opioids in such a way that produces an enhancement of the natural reduction in pain that occurs shortly before and during delivery.[2]

[edit] Human placentophagy
Wikibooks Cookbook has an article on
PlacentaAlthough the placenta is revered in many cultures, very few customarily eat the placenta after the newborn's birth. Those who advocate placentophagy in humans, mostly in modern America and Europe, Hawaii, China, and the Pacific Islands believe that eating the placenta prevents postpartum depression and other pregnancy complications. A variety of recipes are known to exist for preparing placenta for eating[3] in spite of the extended taboo against eating parts of human beings. Consumption of human placenta carries risks associated with other human blood products, primarily risk of hepatitis B,C and HIV infection.

Obstetrician Maggie Blott opposes the post-natal depression theory. Blott, a spokeswoman for the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, says there's no medical justification at all; "Animals eat their placenta to get nutrition but when people are already well-nourished, there is no benefit, there is no reason to do it".[4]

Human placenta has also been an ingredient in some traditional Chinese medicines.[5]

Note that Latin placenta meant a kind of flat cake and is the origin of the Central European pancakes named in Romanian plăcintă, and in other languages Palatschinken, palacsinta and palačinka. It was applied to the human organ by Realdus Columbus in 1559[1] The German word for placenta is Mutterkuchen, which literally means "mother-cake".

maybe brooke shields shoulda tried it. woulda saved her from being attacked by tom cruise.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-07-18-placenta-ingestion_N.htm?csp=34

By Steve Friess, Special for USA TODAY
Debi French was dreading the birth of her fourth child. She wanted the baby, to be sure, but she was terrified of being visited again with the overwhelming despair that came over her in the days and weeks after her last delivery.

French's midwife offered her an unusual remedy: She suggested the expectant mother ingest her own placenta as a means of allaying postpartum depression. The temporary organ was saved, dried and emulsified, then placed in gelatin capsules and taken by the mother in the months after the birth in December 2004.

"Before I actually did it, my friends thought it was weird," says French, 29, of Spokane, Wash., whose fifth child is due in August. "But when they saw how fast I recovered from my birth and they knew my history, they thought it was pretty neat. Now I have a lot of friends planning to do it."

The practice, known as placentophagy, is far from widespread and is received with great skepticism by more traditional medical experts. But among a small but vocal contingent of expectant mothers and proponents, it is strongly believed that the organ created by the woman's body to pass nutrients between mother and fetus and is expelled after birth is rich in chemicals that can help mitigate fluctuations in hormones believed to cause postpartum depression.

VIDEO: Nev. mom wins court fight to keep placenta

"I feel that it is what we as women are meant to do with the placenta," says Jodi Selander of Las Vegas, who offers encapsulation services and is collecting testimonials of women who have ingested placenta for her website, placentabenefits.info.

Questions from the FDA

The practice is raising eyebrows at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Spokeswoman Kris Mejia says the FDA considers that some statements on the website are making medical claims and will be looking more carefully into the matter. "Human placental capsules that make treatment claims … must be accompanied by well-designed and controlled clinical studies to support approval/licensure," Mejia wrote in an e-mail.

Selander says she does the encapsulation as a service and doesn't charge for it. She also says she sought guidance from the FDA but got no clear answers.

Still, Selander says, "every single mammal ingests its placenta. We are the only mammal on Earth that went away from this practice."

In actuality, some mammals, including seafaring ones and camels, do not. But the fact that most lower mammals do, and the fact that placenta ingestion has been a part of traditional Chinese medicine practices for centuries, is often cited by Selander and other advocates as proof of its health benefits.

Yet Western researchers are highly dubious of whether taking placenta pills or, in the case of some more devoted placentophagists, cooking and eating it as a food is of any value to humans. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists declined to comment, but a spokeswoman for the British counterpart, the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, told the BBC last year: "Animals eat their placenta to get nutrition, but when people are already well-nourished, there is no benefit. There is no reason to do it."

Mark Kristal, a professor at State University of New York at Buffalo whose doctoral dissertation in 1971 focused on why animals eat their placentas, says his research leads him to suspect that animals derive pain relief from a substance in the placenta during delivery that humans would not enjoy by ingesting after the fact.

'People can believe what they want'

Kristal notes that animal births usually involve the mother licking her vaginal area, thereby ingesting the fluid during delivery.

He also says withholding the placenta from the animal mother after birth in lab studies hasn't caused the mother to become depressed or withdraw from her offspring. That observation would contradict the notion that animals ingest it to avert their own version of postpartum depression, he says.

"People can believe what they want, but there's no research to substantiate claims of human benefit," Kristal says. "The cooking process will destroy all the protein and the hormones. … Drying it out or freezing it would destroy other things."

Mothers who insist that ingesting their placentas has helped them are undeterred.

"I don't need research to say that it's going to help me," says Nicole Dodson-Sands, 32, of Albuquerque, who suffered depression after her third son's birth six months ago and took placenta pills she made herself. "It's not something that was dangerous."

Some hospitals aren't so sure and refuse to release the placenta after a birth, regarding it as hazardous medical waste. Sunrise Hospital in Las Vegas refused to relinquish the placenta to Anne Swanson, 30, in April, leading to a court battle resolved on Tuesday when a district court judge ruled that Swanson should receive it.

Swanson had planned a birth at her Las Vegas home but was rushed to the hospital for an emergency cesarean section.

The hospital, which had contended that a placenta could be biohazardous waste because it contains blood, says it will not appeal. "The court understood our desire to be compliant with current medical waste regulations," Sunrise Health vice president Amy Dirks Stevens said in a written statement. "Ms. Swanson will receive her placenta upon completion of the court's legal and medical waste compliance directions."

The hospital has been storing the placenta in a freezer; Swanson says it's probably too late for it to be of any medicinal use to her. "Recovering from a C-section was a lot more traumatic, and I was definitely a bit emotional, so my husband will attest I definitely could have used my placenta," she says.

Typically, the placenta is stored by the hospital for a few days to be available for testing if there is a post-pregnancy complication, and then it is destroyed. Some hospitals do allow women to have the placenta just as they allow patients to take home tonsils, kidney stones or appendixes.

Swanson says she is baffled that this became anybody's business but hers, but she is gratified by the court's ruling.

"We didn't even have to have a trial — the judge said, 'Give it to her' — so it was shocking to everybody, actually," Swanson says. "I'm obviously sad that it took a court case to get here, but I'm very excited that more women are actually going to be able to get their placentas if they want them."
Posted 2d 1h ago

aahpandasrun

No longer endangered
Oct 18, 2006
Farmingdale, NY
I think it should be legal, but then again I think a lot of things should be legal. It's still completely disgusting.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
He's from Iowa...give him a break. Takes most of 'em two, three days to get most jokes. :icon_roll

Natesac

Wackbag's Official Sac
May 22, 2006
Westbury, NY
I tried to convince Vos that the fetus was the placenta, but he was too clever to fall for that old gag.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
So if you eat it when you are alone, it is legal?