Plagiarism Thread

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
I didn't really have any idea about some of these. Apparently Metallica went beyond the 1980s/1990s lifting a riff/stealing a lick thing and just did it for their whole career.

Here is one I knew about.

Excel/Tapping the Emotional Void has a drum and acoustic guitar part that is EXACTLY like Enter Sandman, Metallica's monster single off the Black Album (not suprising, cuz blacks steal things! el oh el)

Excel was playing this in 1986, copyrighted it in 1988 and put it out on a 1989 record. Enter Sandman, 1991.

You tell me how this isn't the typical 80s "Nice little piece of a song, lemme 'borrow' that from you."

But this one, I can't believe I missed it off Death Magnetic. I didn't like the record that much, felt it was a bit boring and too long, but this, I can't believe I missed it. This is Metallica in 2008 totally stealing the beginning of Pearl Jam's "Why Go" single off that obscure little record, Ten. The rest of the song sounds very much like a distorted Ten album B-side. Thieving fucks.

Some people say this isn't the same, but it totally sounds like it to me.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
I think its pretty common knowledge, at least amonst O & A listeners, that Led Zeppelin's early output are basically
sampling without royalties to outright plagiarism, right down to the song titles.

Their first one is the worst for it. Good Times Bad Times is the only one with an original title and song.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
"Giant" - Nebula - Charged (2001)

"Thirsty and Miserable" - Black Flag - Damaged (1981)

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Well, at least they took it from this obscure little punk record from this band nobody heard of.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Those are just covers, right?

Edit: Didn't notice this, just heard it...

Audioslave takes Pantera songs and intros and puts the guitars in a different tuning and
throws different effects through them but they are basically Pantera guitar lines.

Audislave/Cochise and Pantera/I'm Broken have very similar to at some points identical lead guitar parts, it is just that Pantera's is distorted differently and in a different, dropped tuning.

http://riffripoffs30.ytmnd.com/

Edit: Big site of lifted riffs. You wouldn't think a lot of these.

Arch Enemy totally rips off Blue Oyster Cult's Astronomy from Secret Treaties, for instance.

http://riffripoffs5.ytmnd.com/

Last edited:

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Those are just covers, right?
It's hard to explain. The Circle Jerks were formed by Keith Morris, who was the original singer for Black Flag until he left under acrimonious circumstances (long-since resolved). Keith took several Flag songs with him when he left. I'm not sure whether or not he was involved in the writing process at all (Greg Ginn, the guitarist and leader of Black Flag, wrote all of the lyrics for the band until Henry Rollins joined), so I can't say whether or not he really stole the songs.

Last edited:

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
A little Jeff Beck/Led Zeppelin thing going on then. Metallica/Megadeth have their cases of that. Mechanix/4 Horseman are two band's take on
the same core song. Not an out and out copy, but still.

Interesting one, surprised I didn't hear it.

Huey Lewis and The News "I Want A New Drug" was turned into...
The Ghostbusters theme song.
Ghostbusters guys wanted him to do their theme song but Huey wanted to work on Back to the Future
so they said... "Hey, we'll just get the next best thing!"

Same song, Ghostbusters did it in a different key. When you put it in the same key, it is the SAME DAMN SONG.

Last edited:

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
It's hard to explain. The Circle Jerks were form by Keith Morris, who was the original singer for Black Flag until he left under acrimonious circumstances (long-since resolved). Keith took several Flag songs with him when he left. I'm not sure whether or not he was involved in the writing process at all (Greg Ginn, the guitarist and leader of Black Flag, wrote all of the lyrics for the band until Henry Rollins joined), so I can't say whether or not he really stole the songs.
I've been a fan of both bands since the 80's, knew the songs, but only pieces of the backstory, I was hoping you would know something.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Helpful, anyway. Look at the environment of the punk scene back then, and nobody was getting rich off of it. Could have just been the Circle Jerks version and the Black Flag version of a song they both liked, and nobody gave a shit about copywrite. Maybe we'll never know, just a lil' sidenote in punk history. Thanks, AH.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
Here's a couple.

Did Coldplay rip off Joe Satriani?

I think Coldplay eventually paid Satch off to drop the case. Probably slung him a few hundred grand.

And Dutch chick-metal band Delain (who I actually really like) totally ripped off the riff of Pantera's 'Becoming'. All that's missing is Dime's little squeal.

Delain (go to 30 seconds in)

Pantera

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
Ya know we can accuse these poor saps of plagiarism but it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Aug 5, 2004
Ya know we can accuse these poor saps of plagiarism but it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
This

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Wasn't unconscious. Nirvana took 4 or 5 other ones.

Smells Like Teen Spirit takes from Blue Oyster Cult/Godzilla and Don't Fear the Reaper.

So Nirvana's top two singles, their signature songs, are Blue Oyster Cult rip offs.

The also said "influence" from Pixies, The Wipers, Meat Puppets, The Damned, Killing Joke, etc, and they've got songs just like that.

It is kind of shocking how the bands that steal, they wind up being their signature songs. Like Dazed and Confused and Stairway to Heaven.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I remember Cobain listed Killing Joke as a major influence.
That doesn't mean that he intentionally stole the riff. He wrote in one of his journals that "'Come as You Are' is basically 'Eighties' by the Killing Joke." That wording doesn't fit the thoughts of a conscious plagiarist. He often wrote and said similarly dismissive things about his own work. He viewed Nirvana as a gateway to more legitimate alternative acts and older artists he enjoyed.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011

Pretty embarrassing!

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I find this stuff interesting, but at the same time I don't give a shit. I look at in most cases as someone took a shitty, obscure song and made it into a good, popular song. Sure, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, and Metallica made billions reworking other people's work, but it's not like the original work was ever going to find an audience if they didn't do that. It was just going to sit there in obscurity. Would it be nice if they gave the original writers some credit/royalties? Of course. But in some cases it was either parallel thinking or unconscious ripping off. If not, then it's up to the original artist to sue them, the way Satriani did. I figure if he's happy with the check he got from Coldplay, it's no longer anything I should give a shit about.