Plan E - When do we resubscribe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mybysigh

i don't want to be a New Wackbagger anymore
If XM is telling the truth and O&A are back on June 15, when do we resubscribe?

I believe that there are two schools of thought:

1) Before the close of the second fiscal quarter (i.e., prior to June 30, 2007)

- or -

2) After the second fiscal quarter (i.e., July1, 2007 or later)

I am hoping this thread can be for more of a discussion in order to come up with a consensus than an argument for one or the other.

I think that we all hope that our efforts over the past two weeks have impressed upon XM management that the issue of free speech and true uncensored content is important to their customers. I think/hope that we have made our point. With that being said, we have heard nothing from XM management (aside from a few isolated emails from XM execs to individual subscribers) that they have heard our concerns and taken them seriously.

So what do we do, and will whatever we decide matter?

Option 1 - Resubscribe on June 14, 2007
Basically saying that, "Hey, we made our point, XM took a hit for a month and there is really nothing we can do that will matter past that."

Option 2 - Resubscribe after July 1, 2007
In other words saying, "I realize that it will be a bit more difficult to listen to their show for the first two weeks post suspension (i.e., listening on PalTalk, Underground, etc.), but I think that if enough people hold off resubscribing, XM will have to take a hit on their 2nd quarter numbers to have to pay attention"

Option 3 - Such an Ambitious Idea That I Dare Not Mention It
Put it this way, it could be a very powerful way to show our support for O&A and the PAC, but would require such coordination and oversight that it might prove to be too much for even the pests to coordinate - afterall we do have lives outside the show. (?)

In any event, what are people's thoughts? All of the sites have done such a great job rallying the troops so far, shouldn't we at least try to have an equally coordinated response? Let's think selfishly for a moment. O&A may have gotten what they needed from our response, but have we? I have not heard anyone from XM management respond in a formal way to us. I have not heard anyone tell us that they heard what we had to say.

Is it too much to ask that someone from XM management (and I don't mean ELo) crack the mikes on 202 one day and take calls from us?

Anyway, I have gone on way too long, I throw it out to you for you to reply or ignore.

Gonzoid

The Tenacious T-Bagger
If XM is telling the truth and O&A are back on June 15, when do we resubscribe?
Not just XM, but Norton. He was at the Stress Factory and said to the crowd that they will definately be returning on the 15th. I never unsubscribed so this is moot to me.

mybysigh

i don't want to be a New Wackbagger anymore
I guess you're right, I never really considered never. That should be an option as well. As I said, I am not really advocating anything, just looking for a discussion. I just imagined that most people are going to re-up at some point, but I could be wrong.

Arythmetics

Option 3. I assume it consists of something like:

Join everyone together as a "all or nothing" deal and force XM to give us some concessions or we all walk. This means an appology for the fans as well as deals to woo us back.

Jims Rottweiler

Anyone ever smell my ass?
Not just XM, but Norton. He was at the Stress Factory and said to the crowd that they will definately be returning on the 15th. I never unsubscribed so this is moot to me.
Good for you. And when the boys get fired for something one of their guests says don't be runnin your mouth.

I don't understand not cancelling. I haven't seen a single cogent argument in favor of not cancelling. But if I chose not to cancel, I certainly wouldn't brag about it.

tstewy2

OK when do we buy our new radios too? There was alot of smashing and burning. XM should see a big spike in $$ from selling alot of radios.

Anyone who buys a new radio and resubs on June 15th should just buy a bottle of K-Y, open the closet door and call it a day.

South Jersey

I told you so ... too
I e-mailed XM the day I cancelled (while I was on hold for almost two hours and getting hung up on twice) and today I get this little gem as a reply.

Thank you for contacting XM Radio. We have received an e-mail request to cancel your XM service as a result of the suspension of Opie and Anthony. We would like to inform you that we have received confirmation that the Opie and Anthony show will return at its regularly scheduled time slot beginning June 15, 2007.

We hope that you will reconsider your decision to not keep your XM Service. If you still want to cancel your service, additional information is required to process your request. Please provide your full name, XM account number or Radio ID (which can be found on Channel 0) and your reason for cancellation to ListenerCare@XMRadio.com.

Regards,

XM Listener Care

poopiebottoms

Sparkling Wiggles Lover
I don't think I'll resubscribe...

What's the point of paying for censored radio?

What's the point in doing business with a company which will stiff their customers to make a point to another entity (talent, FCC, SEC)?
I mean, would I eat at a restaurant again if they decided not to bring me my dinner to punish the dishwasher, or to show the INS that he has a green card?

Yeah, I think I'm done with XM after 5 and a half years of loyalty.

hey, can some post a new thread 'why isnt jimmy featured in any way in the new intro??' we don't hear him at all, the only time we hear him is when he laughed at the jfk salsa joke... WHY?? WHY?? WHY??

To those that aren't resubscribing, do you still plan to listen to the XM portion of the show and just not pay for it? Is that showing any loyalty to the show at all?

nikoloslvy

I wear my sunglasses at night...Anyone want fries?
Donator
To those that aren't resubscribing, do you still plan to listen to the XM portion of the show and just not pay for it? Is that showing any loyalty to the show at all?
i will listen but not subscribe.
i will resubscribe if O&a go on a rant about their firing (not likley but i can dream) or if i feel that they are secure in their jobs and wont be fired or suspended again(very likely).

Option 3. I assume it consists of something like:

Join everyone together as a "all or nothing" deal and force XM to give us some concessions or we all walk. This means an appology for the fans as well as deals to woo us back.
I don't think I'll resubscribe...

What's the point of paying for censored radio?

What's the point in doing business with a company which will stiff their customers to make a point to another entity (talent, FCC, SEC)?
I mean, would I eat at a restaurant again if they decided not to bring me my dinner to punish the dishwasher, or to show the INS that he has a green card?

Yeah, I think I'm done with XM after 5 and a half years of loyalty.
i will listen but not subscribe.
i will resubscribe if O&a go on a rant about their firing (not likley but i can dream) or if i feel that they are secure in their jobs and wont be fired or suspended again(very likely).

All of the above. I will resubscribe, when SOMEONE gives me some assurances that I will not be paying for censored, gag-order radio.

Truth is, I am disgusted by XM's stance here. I'm disgusted that they called the Charlie bit DEPLORABLE.

I'm disgusted that they felt O&A didn't take this 'situation' seriously enough.

I'm disgusted that O&A seem to be unable to talk about the incident, their suspension from XM or even PAC, even when they're on a different station.

I'm disgusted that XM hasn't responded to the PAC letters that came on behalf of 12,000 members.

The list goes on. If it weren't for my desire to be a fan and support the Opie and Anthony show, my answer would be a dead flat never. I do want to support O&A, but I feel like i would not be supporting them (and turning my back on every principle of mine that lead to the founding of PAC) if I resubscribed on the 15th without some assurance from XM or O&A that they are going to be uncensored.

I would urge the rest of you to do the same. I do see the conflict here between wanting to show love for the boys (by re-upping on the 15th immediately) and wanting to believe in a principal. I have thought long and hard about it. But ultimately, I think the best way to help O&A is to tell XM we demand to know that the show will be uncensored.

How does it help the show, O&A or the listeners if they have to walk on eggshells?

Maybe someday the boys will be allowed to talk about this and let us know what they think, but until then, guess we're on our own.

nextgen73

All of the above. I will resubscribe, when SOMEONE gives me some assurances that I will not be paying for censored, gag-order radio.

Truth is, I am disgusted by XM's stance here. I'm disgusted that they called the Charlie bit DEPLORABLE.

I'm disgusted that they felt O&A didn't take this 'situation' seriously enough.

I'm disgusted that O&A seem to be unable to talk about the incident, their suspension from XM or even PAC, even when they're on a different station.

I'm disgusted that XM hasn't responded to the PAC letters that came on behalf of 12,000 members.

The list goes on. If it weren't for my desire to be a fan and support the Opie and Anthony show, my answer would be a dead flat never. I do want to support O&A, but I feel like i would not be supporting them (and turning my back on every principle of mine that lead to the founding of PAC) if I resubscribed on the 15th without some assurance from XM or O&A that they are going to be uncensored.

I would urge the rest of you to do the same. I do see the conflict here between wanting to show love for the boys (by re-upping on the 15th immediately) and wanting to believe in a principal. I have thought long and hard about it. But ultimately, I think the best way to help O&A is to tell XM we demand to know that the show will be uncensored.

How does it help the show, O&A or the listeners if they have to walk on eggshells?

Maybe someday the boys will be allowed to talk about this and let us know what they think, but until then, guess we're on our own.
I feel the same way HTG... Even if we get assurances from XM that there will be no censoring, how can we trust them?? I have lost all faith in upper management.. Our only hope is when this so called merger is killed by the FCC, Hugh Panero and Gary Parsons resign and allow real radio men to run this company... They 2 dipshits have been getting tooled by Mel left and right.. XM used to be a bold and innovative company and now Sirius has out done them to the point where they are merging with a bloated company with huge debt cause they are scared.

Fuck XM.. I love O&A and R&F, but I hate XM...

Either a public apology to the subscribers, or upper management quits or gets the boot, that's the only way I pay for this shit again

PDX909

I'll sign up on the 14th so as to be ready for the first show, but I'd like an assurance that the show will be aired 'un-molested' and that for everyone that canceled (because of the suspension) the re-up will be 'on the house' I shut off 4 radios and I'll be buggered if I'm paying to re-active all of them again. I don't think that it's asking a lot from XM to issue an assurance, even if it's through a back channel somehow.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
For me, those are the key points, the Boys talking about the whole situation, will determine if I resubscribe. I plan to take a vacation day on the 15 and listen to the show that I get on Direct TV (all my subs are gone and I have my refund). If I get the impression they can’t talk, I'm done with XM. Long live KROCK

Hydrosludge

We can do it comrade
I'll re-subscribe 3 of my subs when I get an apology.

Then I will not accept the apology. Fire off a few letters about how they did not take their customers seriously. Then re-subscribe when the show is back off track.

Status
Not open for further replies.