play DVD on Laptop and view on TV?

trucker_ben

Is there a output cord that you can buy so you can use your laptop as a DVD player or view movies (torrents) from my laptop on my tv?

Thanks in advance for the help!

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
if your laptop has a S-video, or DVI output it will

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Some laptops will have S-Video output. Some will have DVI. Some will have VGA. Some will have nothing. If S-Video then you can play that on almost any TV with little effort. If it's DVI you can play that across DVI/HDMI enabled TVs easily. You can connect that on any TV though if you buy a converter. Not cheap usually.

If all you have is VGA then you can convert that to DVI/HDMI or component with a converter too.

Bobobie

It would have helped if he had mentioned what kind of TV it is and what inputs it has.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Some laptops use a port that is a combination PS2 (for mouse or keyboard) and video out. This may require a special adapter, but usually comes with the computer.

You'll also need to run audio from the headphone jack.

On a side note, with a wireless mouse and keyboard your tv can double as a monitor for all your computing.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
i have my dell 600m vga out connected to my vizio 32" rbg/vga in.

it works remarkably.

i am actually posting this on screen 1, while watching the rise of the silver surfer on the vizio via screen 2.

and yes i get geeked out about it still, cmon its cool!

trucker_ben

Looks like it's an S video output. Google'd it and found out what I need.

Thanks for the help guys!

trucker_ben

S video to RCA? Can you buy them at Best Buy or Circuit city?

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Anywhere. Radio shack has them. All it does is combine the 2 analog signals (brigtheness+color) to go from S-video to RCA. Its splits them to go the other way. Really old technology.

Bobobie

S-Videa and composite video looks like crap. I remember hooking up the old Commodore 64 to the huge wooden Zenith Console with the old RF connections. You had to wiggle the cable and position it just right to keep the all the artifacts and scan lines off the screen. It's hard to believe that a lot of TV's have VGA and DVI connectors now.

AuGmENTor

Get AIDS and DIE, STUPID
I have svideo out on my video card, and I have to say that it looks like SHIT on my svideo equipped TV. When I got it I was all excited, and disappointment followed.

blazin

S-video usually isnt too great on a TV, but it works. Resolution is usually pretty low to be able to see text and smaller objects.

I set up my friends computer on his 42" Sharp LCD via DVI-->HDMI. High resolution and it looks great.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
x2,3, etc.

from multiple posts above... s-video out sux.

really not worth the time.

the tvs equiped with rgb/(w,x)vga- dvi, etc are most of the lcd's out there today.

as i stated before, vizio (from sams club) ... i love em.

my 32" is one of the best purchases in my house, electronically. only $799. had her for almost a year now, not one problem.

Vizio 32" product page

Inputs
RF (F Connector for internal tuner): 1
HDMI with HDCP: 2
Analog Stereo Audio for HDMI Inputs: 1
Component YPbPr plus Stereo Audio: 2
Composite Video: 2
S-Video plus Stereo Audio: 1
Computer RGB plus Stereo Audio: 1
Service Port: 1

Outputs
Analog Audio out (RCA): 1