Playstation 4 Announcement?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I do remember reading that Sony planned to announce the PS4 at their own event, so I'd say that's a good bet.

Dec 12, 2007
I'm such an old man that my first response was "oh wait till it comes out". I've lost the ability to be excited for the future.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
Loved ps2. Could be my favorite system, eclipsing even snes. Then ps3 came around. Couldn't be less into a system. Dunno what it is. Lack of developers? Lack of games? Price? Fuck if I know.

So ps4 will roll around, and I couldn't be less apathetic. Same as ps3. Dunno what it is.

Dec 12, 2007
Loved ps2. Could be my favorite system, eclipsing even snes. Then ps3 came around. Couldn't be less into a system. Dunno what it is. Lack of developers? Lack of games? Price? Fuck if I know.

So ps4 will roll around, and I couldn't be less apathetic. Same as ps3. Dunno what it is.
I give every system a year to put out games before I even consider buying it. Maybe 1 or two launch titles are even worth playing, mind as well wait a year for a decent list of titles to build and pick up on a seasonal price cut.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
What huge leap in technology has there been to make a PS4 better than a PS3? I'm not really sure what people are supposed to anxiously await with any new console right now. It's not like there's something better than Bluray. Maybe this will be the long-awaited Smell-o-vision console? If so, count me out. I play mostly sports games and don't need to smell some sweaty linebacker or CM Punk's armpits.

May 8, 2009
Bawferston
If any of this is true, I'm going to wait before I even consider buying the PS4. No backwards compatibility? Even worse, having to register games online so no more buying used games? Greedy fucks. I'm still getting a ton of use out of my PS3.. I'm in no rush.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
If any of this is true, I'm going to wait before I even consider buying the PS4. No backwards compatibility? Even worse, having to register games online so no more buying used games? Greedy fucks. I'm still getting a ton of use out of my PS3.. I'm in no rush.

If that's true, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. Why buy a PS4 for more money if the PS3 is still good and you can't buy used games on the new console? Also, what would that mean for rentals from Redbox and Gamefly? Unless there's a huge discount for downloading games instead of buying a hard copy then what reason do people have for buying this when used games are out of the question? I'd also think that retailers won't be too happy with the option to download games the day they are released to stores. They are simultaneously making it less appealing to consumers while also making it less appealing to retailers. That doesn't seem like a good strategy.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Microsoft is talking about doing the same exact thing. If the rumors are true Ill be quitting the video game market completely, the customer is punished with stricter restrictions to increase profit margins. Sorry, devs, you wont be losing part of my money, you will be losing all of it. Fuck that shit.

May 8, 2009
Bawferston
If that's true, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. Why buy a PS4 for more money if the PS3 is still good and you can't buy used games on the new console? Also, what would that mean for rentals from Redbox and Gamefly? Unless there's a huge discount for downloading games instead of buying a hard copy then what reason do people have for buying this when used games are out of the question? I'd also think that retailers won't be too happy with the option to download games the day they are released to stores. They are simultaneously making it less appealing to consumers while also making it less appealing to retailers. That doesn't seem like a good strategy.
What would that mean for Gamestop? Used games is like 80% of their business. I don't understand why they're so against the used games market. They continue to make money on games over and over. If people are forced to buy new games only, yes, they'll make money when a game first comes out, but that's it. With used games, they continue to collect money on games. I just don't get it. Stop being so fucking greedy!

Microsoft is talking about doing the same exact thing. If the rumors are true Ill be quitting the video game market completely, the customer is punished with stricter restrictions to increase profit margins. Sorry, devs, you wont be losing part of my money, you will be losing all of it. Fuck that shit.
I don't think I could ever give up gaming for good.. not even out of principle. But I doubt I'll be purchasing the new system anytime soon. I just got my fiance a 360 for Christmas.. if I get bored with the Playstation, I'll move over to that for awhile.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
What would that mean for Gamestop? Used games is like 80% of their business. I don't understand why they're so against the used games market. They continue to make money on games over and over. If people are forced to buy new games only, yes, they'll make money when a game first comes out, but that's it. With used games, they continue to collect money on games. I just don't get it. Stop being so fucking greedy!
Gamestop would go the way of Blockbuster. Not very quickly but their revenue would be seriously fucked since they do make the most profit from mark up of used games. The problem is that once the new game is sold that is all the money the manufacturer and game developers et al are going to get. Any game traded in to Gamestop or some equivalent market place the manufacturers see nothing from that. Its a huge cash stream for the store and a dick in the ass for the people who made the game. That is why Sony and Microsoft are so intent on closing that loop hole, but they are taking it to an extreme with tagging the new game to a digital account. Its just a way to fuck the bottom out of any aftermarket transactions. Its pretty lame IMO.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
Gamestop would go the way of Blockbuster. Not very quickly but their revenue would be seriously fucked since they do make the most profit from mark up of used games. The problem is that once the new game is sold that is all the money the manufacturer and game developers et al are going to get. Any game traded in to Gamestop or some equivalent market place the manufacturers see nothing from that. Its a huge cash stream for the store and a dick in the ass for the people who made the game. That is why Sony and Microsoft are so intent on closing that loop hole, but they are taking it to an extreme with tagging the new game to a digital account. Its just a way to fuck the bottom out of any aftermarket transactions. Its pretty lame IMO.
I think they're also failing to see the market that exists for people who try a game out by renting it first and then buy it if they like or the ones who buy a used copy of a game and then like it and buy a new copy of the next version of that game because they now know it's worth the price to them. Now, there will be plenty of people who decide to not buy the PS4 (and next generation of Xbox if they do this, too) and they'll be missing out on console sales AND game sales. If console sales are down, that will reduce developers' interest in making games for that platform and it will snowball into even less demand for the system due to limited game options.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I think they're also failing to see the market that exists for people who try a game out by renting it first and then buy it if they like or the ones who buy a used copy of a game and then like it and buy a new copy of the next version of that game because they now know it's worth the price to them. Now, there will be plenty of people who decide to not buy the PS4 (and next generation of Xbox if they do this, too) and they'll be missing out on console sales AND game sales. If console sales are down, that will reduce developers' interest in making games for that platform and it will snowball into even less demand for the system due to limited game options.
I have a feeling that they are going to run an end around game rentals with more free demos or probably a seriously discounted and stripped down version of a game where you have to pay to gain access to levels, items, etc. similar to the way most MMOs operate these days. Either way, the people who lose are the players.

Dec 12, 2007
Well on the bright side steam store and amazon game downloads work pretty good. Get your PC gamin on.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I have a feeling that they are going to run an end around game rentals with more free demos or probably a seriously discounted and stripped down version of a game where you have to pay to gain access to levels, items, etc. similar to the way most MMOs operate these days. Either way, the people who lose are the players.
You are not thinking like a true scumbag. They want control of the rental market too. $5 for a 3 day rental download that "kills" itself after three days unless you pay another $2.

I don't think they understand how bad the backlash is going to be from that. They are making the same mistakes as the record companies.

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
I guess it is going to be harder for me to burn games too. Oh well that was great while it lasted.

Oct 16, 2008
Parma, OH
They talked about one console per game with the PS3 too and that never happened. I typically don't buy used games because it's usually only a $5 disparity, but I think online passes were a good workaround for the developers. I also think that not every developer is going to want to do the console assigning. I do think that they need to drop the price of buying the games via the PSN if they want to start going the digital way. Paying $60 for a digital game when I can get a physical copy is a deterrent for me. One reason iTunes and Amazon are so successful is because a full album is $10 where if you go to FYE or Best Buy, it'll be $15-20. If the PSN version of a game was $45, I might consider buying the digital version over the physical copy. As for rental services like Gamefly, they might give them special copies that allow bypassing registration.