Plea deal sought in Portsmouth car-crash spree

Dec 8, 2004
Maine

David Cross says he returned to a dealership where he bought a 'lemon' van and used it to crash into six cars on the lot.

An angry consumer who deliberately crashed into six cars on an auto dealer's lot because he was allegedly sold "a lemon" has entered into a plea agreement with Rockingham County prosecutors, according to court records.

David Cross, 42, of Salisbury, Mass., is charged with six felony counts of criminal mischief, one for each of the cars he's admitted to crashing into July 18, 2011. Details of the plea agreement are not public, but Cross is scheduled to appear in the Rockingham Superior Court on June 19 for the purpose of entering one or more guilty pleas.

He is being represented by attorney Brett Newkirk and the case is being prosecuted by Assistant County Attorney Stephanie Johnson.

Cross said his wife bought a van at the Portsmouth Used Car Superstore last July, but within two hours they called the dealership after determining "it was a piece of crap." He said his mechanic found a host of problems, including a broken odometer, and an Internet search showed it had been involved in a crash.

After his insurance agent told him he couldn't insure the van with a broken odometer, Cross followed the mechanic's advice to "take it back." He said he returned to the dealer the following day, asked for a refund and was told "you're stuck with it."

Later that night after his wife fell asleep, he said, he drove back to the dealership just before midnight and started driving into cars.

"I hit the first $25,000 car I could see," Cross said in October. "I didn't hit a car under $20,000. Then I moved a van that they wouldn't come down on the price for. I moved it with the lemon they sold me. I just held it to the floor until I couldn't move it anymore. I took out seven vehicles, including my own."

In a statement to the Herald, a Portsmouth Used Car Superstore manager said Cross's wife bought an 11-year-old van, with more than 100,000 miles on it, "as is."

Link

Who would of thought an 11 year old van with over 100,000 miles on it would be a piece of shit...

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Caveat Emptor, obviously not in this guy's vocabulary. Sold fucking "as is" and I don't mean Ant's horrible band from the 80's.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Caveat Emptor, obviously not in this guy's vocabulary. Sold fucking "as is" and I don't mean Ant's horrible band from the 80's.
Yep... NH has a lemon law but not to cars sold "as is".

porch24

Nov 20, 2009
Mass
Only true white trash live in Salisbury year round.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
used car dealers are almost as slimy as real-estate agents

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Well only 2 complaints with the BBB since 2003... pretty good considering it is a used car lot.

When I was looking for a truck I found one at a which turns out to be run by Gypsies... my buddy (who is a townie) basically said they are literally crooks.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
So you take it to a mechanic AFTER you buy it. This person is too stupid to be allowed to roam among us. Execute him!

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
So you take it to a mechanic AFTER you buy it. This person is too stupid to be allowed to roam among us. Execute him!

i would bet his old lady bought it with out is permission

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
lemon laws may not apply to this but I thought dealers were required to give refunds within 24 or 48 hours.

billfromavenel

May 16, 2007
Not if they sign that they are purchasing the vehicle as-is

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
David Cross says he returned to a dealership where he bought a 'lemon' van and used it to crash into six cars on the lot.
At least he knows a great lawyer.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Looked on the news site for the original article about his bumper car incident...

Donation pays for van repairs

Six days after he deliberately crashed into six cars on an auto dealer's lot because he was angry about "a lemon" he was sold, David Cross had his old van repaired, thanks to an anonymous donor.

Meanwhile, people who read about him are offering to send cash for a defense fund.

"I don't even have a bank account," Cross said Monday when told people were e-mailing the Herald, seeking information about how to donate to his defense fund.

Cross, 42, of Salisbury, Mass., is charged with six felony counts of criminal mischief, one for each of the cars he damaged on the dealer's lot, excluding the "lemon" he used to crash into them. He's also charged with driving after suspension because, he said, his license was suspended for falling behind on child support payments.

A father of three, Cross said the van he was hoping to replace has 200,000 miles on the odometer and was inoperable. He said a person who heard his story and wishes to remain anonymous gave his mechanic $500, which covered the cost to get it running and back on the road.

After reading Cross' story on www.drudgereport.com, Johnny Cowart of Jacksonville, Fla., wrote to the Herald to ask how he can get money to Cross.

"I'm determined to help this man and to hold the dealer accountable for 'bad faith' business," wrote Cowart. "I think he was wrong, but was also treated wrong. They could have charged him $200 as a fee and then made another deal on another vehicle."

Dennis Mathias of Lincoln, Neb., also read the story online and has committed to "pledge" $100 to Cross' defense.

A Facebook page has been created in support of Cross, at www.facebook.com/pages/Dave-Cross-Worship-The-Cross/193278047397304).

Cross said his wife bought a van at the Portsmouth Used Car Superstore on July 18, but within two hours, they called the dealership after determining "it was a piece of crap." He said his mechanic found a host of problems, including a broken odometer, and an Internet search showed it had been in an accident.

After his insurance agent told him he couldn't insure it with a broken odometer, Cross followed the mechanic's advice to "take it back." He said he returned to the car dealer the following day, asked for a refund and was told "you're stuck with it."

So he began negotiating the price for another van, but a salesman wouldn't budge, he said. He said he and his wife returned home in the van Monday, and after she fell asleep, he drove back to the dealership just before midnight and started driving into cars.

"I hit the first $25,000 car I could see," Cross told the Herald. "I didn't hit a car under $20,000. Then I moved a van that they wouldn't come down on the price for. I moved it with the lemon they sold me. I just held it to the floor until I couldn't move it anymore. I took out seven vehicles, including my own."

He said he was about to call the police to turn himself in when he saw a cruiser, flagged it down and told the officer "the deal." After his arrest, he was released on personal recognizance bail and he's scheduled to be arraigned Sept. 19 in Portsmouth District Court.

In a statement to the Herald, a Portsmouth Used Car Superstore manager said Cross' wife bought an 11-year-old van with more than 100,000 miles on it, and it was "a recent trade-in scheduled to be disposed of at auction."

"The buyer purchased the vehicle 'as is,' with a salvage title and signed an 'unsafe motor vehicle form,' as well as several other required documents indicating the vehicle was unsafe, uninspected and 'as is,'" according to the manager. "The price was reflective of the condition and was equivalent to what the vehicle would have sold for at auction."

Cross said Monday they had "no problem" with the salvage title, but no one told them the odometer wasn't working and his wife was allowed to test drive it on the lot only.

"They wanted to dump this van, and we were the suckers who bought it," he said. "It wasn't until after she paid for it did they say it was unsafe."

Cross said he doesn't have a lawyer, and when he's arraigned he will ask for a public defender.

"I got all wound up in it," he said. "And I'm probably going to do prison time."
Link

Oh and from his FB page:

David William Cross Jr.

got my first offer from the DA 1 and 1 half years to 3 all suppended $29k restitution and 200 hours of community service what do you all think?? oh ya and no contact with the portsmouth used car supper store...like i would go back lol

http://www.facebook.com/handydave769