[Question] Please Recommend me an Alternative to Handbrake

PunchYourself187

I, The Operator
Apr 24, 2004
I had an old version of Handbrake that I used to convert videos to put on my iPod. It worked for most DVDs, but had some flaws. I got a new PC last week and I was going to upgrade my copy, but I've just learned that they removed important features from the more recent versions.

Does anyone have an alternative? Preferably a free one. I know someone on here mentioned a program they use in order to rip DVDs & Blu-Rays and watch them on their TV via a network connection, but they mentioned the name in a random thread that I can't find anymore.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
MakeMKV if you just want to pop in a DVD or Blu-ray and get a single file with the movie with no loss in quality (including, optionally, extra audio tracks, subtitles and chapter markers).

MeGUI if you want a single file with all of the above but you're a space miser who doesn't care about picture/sound quality (and reading threads here, I'm always amazed by the level of crap people will settle for). You'll still need something like AnyDVD or MakeMKV to decrypt the DVD or Blu-ray with this method. You can get great results with MeGUI or you can make tiny files with shit quality and put 100 movies on a USB drive. It's completely up to you.

Plex can stream anything to an iPod with transcoding on the fly from a host PC. The picture quality is stellar and you don't have to do shit except use method one above to get the disc content onto a PC. Name the movie files somewhat decently, and Plex will sort them out with box art, synopses, etc. An iPod can't play most DVD content directly, and it can't do fuckall with Bluray content directly. If you want the files to be actually on the iPod, method two is your friend.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Hey HBB -- has AnyDVD been updated to work with a 64bit OS? Last time I checked, it didn't work in a 64bit environment.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Hey HBB -- has AnyDVD been updated to work with a 64bit OS? Last time I checked, it didn't work in a 64bit environment.
It's worked fine for me on Vista and Win 7 64 bit.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
y'know what? I was totally thinking of something else. What I actually meant was DVD43.