Policy change at Duke following blackface incident

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8884219

DURHAM (WTVD) -- Duke University will review photos before they're posted to the Duke Athletics website following an incident this week that drew online criticism.

The school took down a photo of members of the women's lacrosse team dressed up in Halloween costumes meant to represent cast members of the Little Rascals movie and TV series.
One player was supposed to be the character "Buckwheat" and was wearing blackface makeup.
Marcus Benning, who heads up the Black Student Alliance on campus, told ABC11 Tuesday the incident raises serious questions.
"It definitely upsets me. It's upset many students in my organization," he offered. "Where is the line drawn between having fun and between offending your classmates?"
Benning called for continued dialogue.

Gorilla Pimp

Popped a molly i'm sweatin, WOO
Nov 2, 2009
Mobile, AL
Now Halloween has to be politically correct.... This country blows.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Does this not bother anyone else? We're going to look at pictures before we post them on our website isn't really that bad. If it was "we are suspending these students for a semester for doing this" that would be one thing. But this is covering your ass.

Jun 30, 2012
Some black guy at my school dressed up as a white guy for Halloween. Wasn't even an actual character like Buckweat. Just "a white person".

50 years from now we will be the ones enslaved if we keep up this race favoritism.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Some black guy at my school dressed up as a white guy for Halloween. Wasn't even an actual character like Buckweat. Just "a white person".

50 years from now we will be the ones enslaved if we keep up this race favoritism.

Did he at least act the part correctly by maintaining a job and pay taxes?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I don't get it. I legitimately thought that when people say "blackface" they literally mean the stereotypical oldie style blackface with the big white lips and shit. You're telling me it's automatically offensive to paint your face to look like you are black even if you are disguised as a specific person/character who is black? How does that make any sense? I mean, to apply that logic to Jews, for a second - it's not that you can't draw cartoons about Jews. It's about the stereotypical depiction in cartoons that is reminiscent of Nazi Germany (the Shylock nose or having fangs or tentacles). So if you are attempting to recreate an old style minstrel show character, then yes, I agree that could easily be seen as offensive. But just being Will Smith from Men in Black or whatever? What the fuck? Would you call what Robert Downy Jr. did in Tropic Thunder blackface?

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
You think that Duke of all places would be tired of bullshitting ******s by now.