Pool/deck renovation

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I knew going in when I bought this house that I'd have to spend some money on the pool and deck out back since it's original to the house (1985) and was lacking in maintenance especially in the last few years. The Chattahoochee River Rock is just beat. In some spots it looks good but most of it is breaking apart and gets tracked into the house. You can't walk on it in bare feet because of all the loose pebbles that hurt like hell when you do. It's all getting busted up and I'm getting acrylic spray textured decking put down.

The pool itself is solid but the marcite finish is just beat. It's worn away completely in spots so that bare concrete is exposed. The pool is getting refinished with the new quartz-aggregate finishes. It's primarily white with black, blue, and tan speckles in the material.

The deck company started work today and the deck is all busted up. They're going to be back tomorrow to pressure wash it all, and get it prepped for a basecoat. Then they do all the decorative stuff after that.

The pool guys aren't doing the pool until mid-June. They are just that backed up.

So, the deck will be done this week. And I'll have to wait another month for the pool to be finished but it'll be worth it.

Pool/deck before:

poolbefore.jpg

Here's an area with the river rock all busted loose:

bustedup.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
How many gallons dat is?

Thinkin of putting in an above-ground pool cause plan on moving in couple years and in zone a flooding. Also read that in-ground pools are susceptible to collapsing. Wtf.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
No idea how many gallons. 20K maybe? I'll find out when we refill it after they finish the resurface job.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Here's a few pictures I took after the crew left for the day:

slab1.jpg

slab2.jpg

They'll finish the surface prep tomorrow, and put the base coat down Wednesday.

Attachments

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I'm guessing about 22,000 gallons...but that's an eyeball guesstimate.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Also read that in-ground pools are susceptible to collapsing. Wtf.
Like anything most of that possibility is because of a couple of factors:
1. What kind of dirt is it being dug into? Fine sand obviously is susceptible to washing away from around the pool due to heavy rain or a leak for example
2. What is the water table like? That can also impact number 1.
3. Whay kind of pool is it? A liner pool? Concrete? Fiberglass precast? Liners tear and dry rot from age easily. A hole in your liner can cause a collapse depending on where its at
4. This is the single most important factor. The QUALITY of the work and installation. Any little fuck up here can destroy a pool

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Yeah, most pools down here are screened in. No bugs, no leaves and shit getting in the pool.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Dammit. Now I want a screened in pool.

Very nice good sir. Very nice.

What is the pool enclosure made of - wood, aluminum, something else?

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
It's an aluminum frame that someone pained a shitty brown color with screening just like your normal door/window screens.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
It's an aluminum frame that someone pained a shitty brown color with screening just like your normal door/window screens.
It has a roof though right? Still pretty cool

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
The floorplan shows how it's set up. The area 12' x 41' marked "open porch" is covered under a regular roof. I added the pool to the drawing. The area that is 32' x 43.94' with the pool in the middle is completely screened in - the walls/roof are the aluminum frame with the screening.

floorplan.jpg

Attachments

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Watching with anticipation - my pool is in good shape for 15 years old, but they put a shitty topcoat on the Kooldeck and its cracking and coming loose. I'm searching for an AZ company that does something with an elastomeric instead of cement based to recoat it once the prep work is done. But that will have to wait until fall - it's swimmin' season right now!

On a side note - just got a Hayward pool vacuum - this thing is the shit for exposed pools like mine - 2-3 hours and the fucker is spotless.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I may need to invest in an automatic vacuum myself. I just found one that the previous owner left here. I have no idea if it works. I've been doing it the old-school way in the meantime.

The deck is coming along. They got the texture coat down on the covered patio portion, and they have the pattern mapped out on the area around the pool.

textured.jpg

patterned.jpg

Attachments

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
That's going to look so awesome, am I seeing a flagstone pattern around the pool?

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Flagstone pattern around the pool, yup.

They put two coats of the color base down on the patio today and textured the pool deck. Tomorrow, they are going to apply the second (highlight) color to the patio and start coloring the pool deck.

Here's one shot I just took, can't walk out there so I couldn't get another one that was worth anything:

patiocolor.jpg

Attachments

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Here's the finished product. Technically, they still have to clearcoat it tomorrow but the appearance isn't going to change at all:

finished1.jpg finished2.jpg finished3.jpg finished4.jpg finished5.jpg finished6.jpg

Attachments