Pool Project Angers Residents:$85,000 Turns Into $7M.

Stalker2

Mastic pool project's $7M bill angers residents

BY PATRICK WHITTLE | patrick.whittle@newsday.com February 18, 2008 An $85,000 tile job at the public pool in Mastic Beach has ballooned into $7 million in unanticipated repairs and cost overruns that have residents and officials calling for investigations into who is to blame.

And work on the Olympic-size pool - which reopened for swimmers' general use in October after being closed for five years - still is not quite finished,
Town Parks Commissioner Jim LaCarrubba, who in March took over the department that has been shepherding the project, said the building will probably have to close a few days for finishing touches later this month.

"It's probably the poorest example of a capital project I've ever seen," he said.

Myriad problems - including structural deficiencies that were undocumented, and repeated vandalism - combined to rob William Floyd High School of a facility for its girls' swim team and shutter an asset valued by a community where housing prices and income languish below Long Island averages.

Cost overruns have left local Democrats and Republicans blaming each other.

In the midst of the finger-pointing, Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota's office has agreed to meet with a civic organization that requested a "forensic investigation" of the pool project. A town councilman also plans to request a federal investigation into what he calls local government corruption, although no one is saying that anyone has committed a crime.

The pool could resume hosting recreational programs this spring, said a representative for the YMCA, which operates the pool for the town. Town and school officials are discussing when the William Floyd swim team could begin using it.

LINK:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-lipool175582565feb18,0,109328.story

I worked there last year from beginning of October to mid-November during the installation of the tiled block and acoustic block surrounding the pool.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
we'll add that to all the other things that Long Islanders are being bled for - like the attorney being claimed as a full time employee of 5 school districts & getting a really nice pension as a result despite never having filled out any time sheets or maintaining an office in any of the districts. Oh and let's not forget his firm which is bleeding countless other districts.

I fucking hate Long Island.

Stalker2

The electrician foreman loved the place.
Me:"So what are you doing today?"
ElectricianForeman:"See that pile of sheetrock?"
Me:"Yes?"
ElectricianForeman:"There`s an outlet behind there I have to replace."
Me:"We can move it later we won`t be too busy."
ElectricianForeman:"Don`t bother that pile`s been there since summer,[Laughs]."
Me:"So what do you do here?"
ElectricianForeman:"[Laughs]"

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Ahem... sorry, but...

:haha7:

I see it's still business-as-usual on The Island of Long.

Mastic Beach... what a rat hole.

You could just about buy every house in Mastic Beach for a combined total of $7 million.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Same shit went on Shoreham Nuclear Plant. Guy's that worked on it said it was a "union" thing.

Put two and two and you get the idea. They don't call it Crookhaven for no reason.

Stalker2

Same shit went on Shoreham Nuclear Plant. Guy's that worked on it said it was a "union" thing.

Put two and two and you get the idea. They don't call it Crookhaven for no reason.
Yeah I worked there also.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator

Way back when, I was doing some work on construction site in Manhattan. It was a union job... renovations on some CUNY (City University) classrooms. One day a bunch of lazy fuck union plumbers were sitting around bragging about how little work they actually accomplished in a day. One fat fuck bragged that in the entire previous day of work, he had connected one two-foot-long pipe... that's all he managed to get done... and he still put in for two hours of overtime. About twenty minutes later, I casually asked the same fat fuck what he thought about the amount of tax money they took out of his check every payday. Oh... he went on for a good ten minutes about how much money Uncle Sam and NY state were bleeding out of him, how unfair it was, how did they expect him to live on what was left?, etc...

When he was done ranting, I said to him... "The next time you get pissed about how much you pay in taxes, and you're wondering who to blame, you should go look in a mirror."

Fatso jumped up and started squaring off... the slob was actually going to try and fight me. I said to him... "Sit down and relax, fats... you still have two hours left on your lunch hour."

Useless tit.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
eh, they dont call it a government job for nothing

Stalker2

Mastic Beach,helluva town.Good pizza there though.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
funny, I was offered a job there..I declined.

South Jersey

I told you so ... too
If Long Island was anymore corrupt they would have to call it New jersey. :action-sm

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Im scared I'll hit a home run and be killed By a long island inefficient base.

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Getting robbed in Mastic? Go fig....

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Cost overruns have left local Democrats and Republicans blaming each other.
Of course they did. I mean, what good could possibly come from both sides getting together to try and figure out exactly what went wrong so it wouldn't happen again?

I love this country but I absolutely believe that if we started accepting responsibility for our own actions and tried to find solutions instead of placing blame, we might actually have a near-utopia on our hands.