Pope Francis turning Catholic Church upside down

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Hooray! We're all going to Heaven despite being heathens and degenerates!!!!!

Pope Francis assures atheists: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven

****Granted There is a lil more to the story including Catholics praying for non believers entrance into Heaven.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...o-believe-in-god-to-go-to-heaven-8810062.html

In comments likely to enhance his progressive reputation, Pope Francis has written a long, open letter to the founder of La Repubblica newspaper, Eugenio Scalfari, stating that non-believers would be forgiven by God if they followed their consciences.
Responding to a list of questions published in the paper by Mr Scalfari, who is not a Roman Catholic, Francis wrote: “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart. The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.
“Sin, even for those who have no faith, exists when people disobey their conscience.”
Robert Mickens, the Vatican correspondent for the Catholic journal The Tablet, said the pontiff’s comments were further evidence of his attempts to shake off the Catholic Church’s fusty image, reinforced by his extremely conservative predecessor Benedict XVI. “Francis is a still a conservative,” said Mr Mickens. “But what this is all about is him seeking to have a more meaningful dialogue with the world.”
In a welcoming response to the letter, Mr Scalfari said the Pope’s comments were “further evidence of his ability and desire to overcome barriers in dialogue with all”.
In July, Francis signalled a more progressive attitude on sexuality, asking: “If someone is gay and is looking for the Lord, who am I to judge him?”

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/29/pope-francis-on-gays-who-am-i-to-judge/

Pope Francis on gays: 'Who am I to judge?'

By John L. Allen Jr. and Hada Messia, CNN
Aboard the Papal Airplane (CNN) - Pope Francis said Monday that he will not "judge" gays and lesbians, including gay priests, signaling a shift from his predecessor and offering another sign that the new pope is committed to changing the church's approach to historically marginalized groups.
“If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?” Francis said in a wide-ranging news conference aboard the papal plane.
Though he was answering a question about the so-called "gay lobby" at the Vatican, the pope indicated a change in tone, if not in teaching, in the church's stance towards gays and lesbians more generally.
The pope was flying back to Rome from Brazil, where he spent the past week celebrating World Youth Day, an international Catholic event that drew millions.
Taking questions from reporters aboard the plane, the pope addressed nearly every hot-button issue facing the Roman Catholic Church: its alleged "gay lobby," Vatican bank corruption, the role of women, abortion, homosexuality and his own personal security.
But it was the pope's remarks on homosexuality - the fact that the head of a 1 billion-member church said that it's not his place to judge gays - that caused the widest stir.
"Pope Francis's brief comment on gays reveals great mercy," said the Rev. James Martin, a Jesuit priest and editor at America, a Catholic magazine based in New York.
"Today Pope Francis has, once again, lived out the Gospel message of compassion for everyone," Martin said.
The pontiff spoke for an hour and a half in the back of the plane that was carrying him back to Italy after his first international trip as pope to Brazil, where he was greeted by massive, frenzied crowds at every turn.
"I'm happy. It has been a beautiful trip, spiritually speaking; it has been good to me. I'm tired enough but with a heart full of joy," he said.
Here are the highlights from his press conference.
On the 'gay lobby' and homosexuality
The pope addressed the issue of an alleged "gay lobby" within the church. Hints that the Holy See contained a network of gay clergy surfaced last year in reports about a series of embarrassing leaks to Italian journalists.
The "Vatileaks" scandal factored in Benedict's shocking decision to resign this year, according to some church experts, as it impressed upon the 86-year-old pontiff that the modern papacy requires a vigorous and watchful presence.
"There's a lot of talk about the gay lobby, but I've never seen it on the Vatican ID card!" Francis said.
"When I meet a gay person, I have to distinguish between their being gay and being part of a lobby. If they accept the Lord and have goodwill, who am I to judge them? They shouldn't be marginalized. The tendency (to homosexuality) is not the problem ... they're our brothers."
The problem, he said was, lobbies that work against the interest of the church.
In 2005, during the papacy of Pope Benedict XVI, the Vatican issued directives barring from the priesthood men "who are actively homosexual, have deep-seated homosexual tendencies, or support the so-called 'gay culture.'"
Francis' brief remarks seem to signal a sharp shift from that policy.
On women
The pope also spoke out about the role of women in the church, saying it needs to be deeper and not end. But he brushed aside the possibility of ordaining women as priests, saying the church had spoken on the matter: "The church says no. That door is closed." He did say that more work needed to be done theologically on the role of women in the church.
On abortion
Pope watchers have noted that Francis said little to nothing about abortion on his trip to Brazil. Abortion is illegal in Brazil, except for cases in which the health of the mother is at risk. Laws were recently changed to allow abortions in cases in which the child would be born with certain life-threatening birth defects.
The pope said he had nothing to say on the trip about abortion because the church teachings against it were clear and this trip was the time for "positive" news.
On divorce
"I believe this is a time of mercy, a change of epoch," the pope said when asked about divorce. He said the group of eight cardinals tasked with reform will explore the issue of whether divorcees can receive Communion, which they are currently barred from doing.
On the Vatican Bank
The pope conceded he was unsure what to do with the Vatican Bank, which is known by its acronym IOR.
"Some say that it would be better if it were a bank, others say that it should be a foundation. Other say to shut it down. These are the suggestions going around. I don't know. I trust the commission's members that are working on the IOR. But I wouldn't be able to tell you how this story is going to end."
And as for what was in the black leather bag he carried onto the plane? A razor, a prayer book, a diary and a book about St. Theresa, but, the pope joked, "Certainly not the keys to the atomic bomb!"
He said he carried his own bags because, "It's normal, we have to be normal. We have to be accustomed to being normal."
CNN's Eric Marrapodi and Daniel Burke contributed to this report.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
Still some will refuse to go to heaven...

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I like the cut of this guy's jib.

He is also apparently open to the idea of married priests.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
Whats the over under of that scene from Godfather part 3 happening f'er Reals ?

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Part of it is Jesuit canon..I remember having to pray for atheists so they could go to heaven in high school.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
My uber Catholic family is losing their shit over this.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
I started going back to church on Sundays with the wife and kid. I agree with what the Pope is saying. I'm glad that this guy seems to be much humbler than previous Pontifs. its time for things to change and get up with the times.

I was pretty pissed off when I was walking around holding my son outside the quiet room and right before you enter the hall there is a huge sign with "mission statement" like the place is a fortune 500 company. I told my wife that things need to be simpler.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Remind them that the pope is infallible. (I think that's what canon says, right?)
That's what I said and they tried their best to make excuses why the way he says it makes a difference.

Last edited:

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Gotta admit, I like a lot of what the dude seems to be saying.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006

This is a church near my hometown. One of those new wave churches.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Can you smell...what the Pope...is COOKING?!!!
"Do you believe in God, my son?"
"I don't really thi-"
"It DOESN'T MATTER if you believe in God...

... because you'll get into Heaven anyway if you're a good person."

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
"Do you believe in God, my son?"
"I don't really thi-"
"It DOESN'T MATTER if you believe in God...

... because you'll get into Heaven anyway if you're a good person."
"Cuz I AM your pope...and do I need to talk about abortion?!"
"NO!"
"Do I neeeeeeeed to talk about homosexuality?!"
"NO!"
"HELL NO! Because the People's Pontiff only needs to talk about LOVE, HUMILITY and UN-DER-STAND-ING! Can I get a HELL YEAH?!"
"HELL YEAH!"
"And Now...you can smell...what the Pope. Is. Cooking!"

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
"Cuz I AM your pope...and do I need to talk about abortion?!"
"NO!"
"Do I neeeeeeeed to talk about homosexuality?!"
"NO!"
"HELL NO! Because the People's Pontiff only needs to talk about LOVE, HUMILITY and UN-DER-STAND-ING! Can I get a HELL YEAH?!"
"HELL YEAH!"
"And Now...you can smell...what the Pope. Is. Cooking!"
You're mixing up the Pope, The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin.

I'll give it a shot...

Pope Francis as Mankind...

"It's so good....to be right here...IN THE VATICAN, ROME!"
{Pope gets giant cheap pop}
"I am not God...BUT I AM GOOD...and all you have to do is be good to make it to Heaven! Have a nice day!"

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
You're mixing up the Pope, The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin.

I'll give it a shot...

Pope Francis as Mankind...

"It's so good....to be right here...IN THE VATICAN, ROME!"
{Pope gets giant cheap pop}
"I am not God...BUT I AM GOOD...and all you have to do is be good to make it to Heaven! Have a nice day!"
I wouldn't mind a choke slam through St. Peter's Basilica onto some thumbtacks, I just don't think the pope is committed enough to his faith.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
I wouldn't mind a choke slam through St. Peter's Basilica onto some thumbtacks, I just don't think the pope is committed enough to his faith.
I think he would back body drop Orton onto the tacks though and in the spirit of ecumenical good times let the evangelical Christian Shawn Michaels and the atheist CM Punk do a Sweet Chin Music into a bulldog
through a flaming table.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
I think he would back body drop Orton onto the tacks though and in the spirit of ecumenical good times let the evangelical Christian Shawn Michaels and the atheist CM Punk do a Sweet Chin Music into a bulldog
through a flaming table.
Praise him.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
He seems much less of a boy-fucking killjoy than the last guy.

Plus, he visually looks more like a nice guy than the GHOUL they had the last time.
My two memories of the papacy are John Paul the II pushing 100 and mumbling while shitting himself
and a guy who was in the Hitler Youth that looked like a zombie.